How to clean oil marks from a cream matt frame

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bainbridge

How to clean oil marks from a cream matt frame

Post by bainbridge »

After a muddy, rainy tour I've been giving her a clean but can't get the oily marks off.the frame.

Neat fairy on a cloth got the worst off but an oily shadow remains.

My girlfriend recommended alcohol which I tried, but then was too drunk to be bothered (actually alcohol didn't work either :) ).

Something is needed to get into the valleys of the rough surface.

Any ideas?
Paulatic

Re: How to clean oil marks from a cream matt frame

Post by Paulatic »

Meths
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

White Spirit,followed by car polish to protect it from future stains.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mrs Mick F suggests lemon juice.

Not a Jiffy lemon, buy real lemon.
Cut one in half and squeeze it on, rub the inside shell of the lemon on the frame, and leave it wet for a while.
Lemon is a natural degreasant, that's why it's in washing-up liquid, floor cleaners, kitchen cleaners ........... and even shampoo for greasy hair.

Rinse off with clean water.
Mick F. Cornwall
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

Isopropanol cleans grease off just about anything - then get the frame re-sprayed a more practical colour. You need a high gloss finish to shed dirt and grease!
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I find baby wipes very good for getting oil off my hands, and keep some in my repair kit. Maybe they'd work on your frame? (Mine is black, so.... :D )
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Mick F wrote:Mrs Mick F suggests lemon juice.

Not a Jiffy lemon, buy real lemon.
Cut one in half and squeeze it on, rub the inside shell of the lemon on the frame, and leave it wet for a while.
Lemon is a natural degreasant, that's why it's in washing-up liquid, floor cleaners, kitchen cleaners ........... and even shampoo for greasy hair.

Rinse off with clean water.

I agree that lemon is a good degreaser, but are you sure it's the inside of the lemon that you rub the stain with? It's the oil that's in the rind that degreases - that's on the outside of the lemon skin.

Incidently, I use high grade orange degreaser, such as Finishline, for the same purpose.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

reohn2 wrote:White Spirit,followed by car polish to protect it from future stains.

Would car polish be sensible if the bike frame finish is a matt finish? The polish could add an unintended and potentially variable sheen.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

If the frame is dirty and you can't get ti clean enough to your liking the obvious solution is N+1 :lol:
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

LollyKat wrote:I find baby wipes very good for getting oil off my hands, and keep some in my repair kit. Maybe they'd work on your frame? (Mine is black, so.... :D )

Baby wipes did actually get off some of the stains, but a few remain.

CREPELLO wrote:
reohn2 wrote:White Spirit,followed by car polish to protect it from future stains.

Would car polish be sensible if the bike frame finish is a matt finish? The polish could add an unintended and potentially variable sheen.

That's right car polish gives a gloss finish.

Here's the bike:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cinelli-hobootleg-2016/

IMO it looks quite nice so I don't want to change the colour. There are some reflective bands on the forks and rear stays and some other transfers on there.

It's just a git to keep clean :)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if it is oily dirt then wiping with a tissue soaking in cigarette lighter fluid ought to shift it. Don't use other solvents (not without a deal of care, anyway) because they can attack the paint.

However if it is 'brake block slobber' then it is more difficult to shift from any matte surface. You may need to use something that is chemically aggressive to shift this stuff (eg kitchen floor cleaner). A brush with thin bristles (like a toothbrush) may help too.

Once clean, polishing with a wax polish may help to make any future dirt stick less well BTW.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

BTW if you get truly cheesed off with it, you might be as well off (in the places where it gets most dirty) to apply some clear-coat over the original finish.

Obviously this won't look quite the same as the original finish, but it won't hold the dirt so badly either.

Needless to say clear-coat won't stick to anything other than a perfectly clean and grease/wax-free surface.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Car polish polishes, as the name suggests. It does not seal or protect.

What might well be useful once it's clean is what's called a "quick detailer", which is a spray that is used as a spritz to seal paintwork (it's also good for drying paintwork as it replaces moisture). Used like this on Matt paint it will penetrate into the texture of the paint and act as a protectant, making it easier to clean in future. I use it after I have washed bikes.

Something like this: http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detailing ... d_361.html
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

I use GT85 for this, good at getting tar spots off too.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
I've got matt white detailing on my bike and a light rub with bathroom cream cleaner did the job. Try a bit under the BB if you're not sure, too much and it might become polished??
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~