How should I vote in the AGM

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
Steady rider

Re: How should I vote in the AGM

Post by Steady rider »

It seems reasonable to assume that the governance report and other professional advice also forms part of such costs

i think you are probably right. I just wonder if the governance report should have gone out to tender and what safeguards where in place to prevent insider trading?
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Steady rider wrote:
It seems reasonable to assume that the governance report and other professional advice also forms part of such costs

i think you are probably right. I just wonder if the governance report should have gone out to tender and what safeguards where in place to prevent insider trading?

None, the CEO mates undertook the consultation exercise namely Valerie Morton
http://www.valeriemorton.co.uk/
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
gaz

Post by gaz »

The most recent posts on this thread are with regard to the Governance Report.

Philip Benstead wrote:None, the CEO mates undertook the consultation exercise namely Valerie Morton

What consultation exercise are you referring to?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Philip Benstead wrote:the CEO mates undertook the consultation exercise namely Valerie Morton
http://www.valeriemorton.co.uk/

...................what kind of bike does she ride? - I don't recognise her face............ :lol: :lol:
Philip Benstead

gaz wrote:The most recent posts on this thread are with regard to the Governance Report.

Philip Benstead wrote:None, the CEO mates undertook the consultation exercise namely Valerie Morton

What consultation exercise are you referring to?

I mean the one that was sent to membership via email that asked loaded questions with no background information.

When asked why there was no background information she reply that she thought the CTC membership would not understand.

She was also involved in the governance review, she pushed the governance modal that the girl guild used.

But the governance report was written by and debate lead at the January CTC Council meeting by CTC legal bod.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Looking at things a little more closely, 1.6 of the Governance Report lists Valerie Morton as a consultant. FAQ 9 states:
... At least a degree of assurance should be gained from the facts that the initial recommendations came from the respected organisation CASS, that the committee has been supported by a respected voluntary sector professional with significant governance experience and that the committee membership includes respected colleagues, the charity’s legal advisor and your Chair. ...

Philip Benstead wrote:... I mean the one that was sent to membership via email that asked loaded questions with no background information. ...

As I recall that consultation came from Campfire Marketing.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Philip Benstead

gaz wrote:Looking at things a little more closely, 1.6 of the Governance Report lists Valerie Morton as a consultant. FAQ 9 states:
... At least a degree of assurance should be gained from the facts that the initial recommendations came from the respected organisation CASS, that the committee has been supported by a respected voluntary sector professional with significant governance experience and that the committee membership includes respected colleagues, the charity’s legal advisor and your Chair. ...

Philip Benstead wrote:... I mean the one that was sent to membership via email that asked loaded questions with no background information. ...

As I recall that consultation came from Campfire Marketing.
she wrote the one that was about goverance
Velocio

Post by Velocio »

...Good Luck! ...to all attending the AGM this weekend ...please ensure you have the interests of the CTC Membership at heart ...and please keep us updated...?? :)
...ever cycle ...ever CTC
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

#agmcyclinguk
Chair carries Governance change with 2000 proxy votes
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
PH

Post by PH »

Also posted elsewhere:
Council won on just about everything, I think they lost on a couple of the motions, I'd sort of given up listening by then. The motion to change governance went through. The motions about equality policy, passing distances, bridge works and helmets in the magazine all lost. All a bit predictable really, everything decided before the day by the proxy votes. Some impassioned speakers, but they must have known they weren't going to change the outcome. Maybe they hoped the council and management were going to listen to them but there wasn't much sign of it.
It was a bit of a shambles at times, the chair was doing his best but looked out of his depth, getting lost in procedure and confused at times. The tight schedule was used to close down some debate, yet others were allowed to ramble on. It was quite heated at times, a councilor called it a room full of greys standing in the way of a progressive CTC! Dan Joyce spat his dummy out over the helmet photos in Cycle motion, seemed a bit OTT.
Philip Benstead managed to speak on just about every motion, without agreeing with everything he said, I thought he did come across better than in print. And you may be surprised to know he demonstrated a better understanding of getting the point across clearly than many of the other speakers.
I went because it was on my doorstep and it seemed rude not to. Yet there were only a couple of other Derby folk there. The room thinned out after the governance motion, can't say I blamed anyone, the decisions were already made by the proxy votes held by the chair.
It was nice to meet a few people, including a couple I've only known online. But other than that I came away wondering what the point was. Did anyone think their attendance would make a difference? Or did they just feel a need to have their say? I don't think I'll go again.
Last edited by PH on 7 May 2016, 8:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I followed it as best I could on Twitter. Very little got posted apart from the exact same line, heritage, importance of members, and usual claims of how useful they are.
Once again, as I gather there was no figures issued to genuine questions like "How many new members has the outreach programme attracted".
I imagine the description in the post above of greys standing against the young future are possibly right. My overall opinion of the tweets are ."big picture" "don't be negative" "don't worry about the facts" I'm grey now and I've had a lifetime of meeting [those who speak lies or nonsense] i get them on the phone everyday trying to sell things.
The rally cry was to get out there and recruit new members. Good luck.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Philip Benstead

My motions 6,7,8,9 got passed. <insults removed>
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Following tbe dire AGM its pretty clear that the CTC is now dead and buried courtesy of the Council. Will give HQ a ring next week and get back the remainder of my 5 year subscription which will be reinvested in the TCC. No way I am subsidising a supposed club that ignores its members in such an arrogant and undemocratic fashion and will now be run by a load more cronies selected by a tiny cabal following the change of governance. Witness Proxy voting - the cabal is there to stay whatever anyone who pays a sub may think.
Insurance is available elsewhere. The so called legal help failed me miserably when I needed it because its really just a no win no fee outfit thats available for free anywhere. The latest mag has transmogrified into an irrelavent comic full of meaningless blather. Very sad. A great organisation stolen by stealth from its members…

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
groberts

Post by groberts »

RIP CTC
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

groberts wrote:RIP CTC

You may be right..................I've been onto the "We are Cycling UK" website and enquired about the AGM - seeking the results of voting on the motions. The response is that the results will be posted shortly. That's a bit disappointing, on the basis that it could have been done immediately - the technology exists.

I am assuming that Motion 5 was lost to those who must have their own way. To me that's the main tragedy, but I still think that we should stick with the 'club' and get on with it, for the moment, anyway. My fear is that any real cycling matters will be lost, and fall victim to cosyness and self engrandiosment, comfortable boardrooms and generous expenses, but we'll see. CUK has a job to do in campaigning Government, DfT, local Councils, all politicians, highway engineers and designers - and all those who make associated decisions, to begin to really consider cyclists as valid human beings, and to discover that our lives matter - it's not impossible, see Denmark, Germany, The Netherlands.........................

Apart from the excellent campaigning done by our local RtR officer, and our local sections and family atmosphere therein :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: (I may be dismissed from membership now, for being a heretic - using offensive words like "sections" indeed!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: ), , the only thing left for me in CUK is the (vain?) hope that campaigning will be expanded and become more effective. Roger Geffen has the skill, the know-how and the commitment - will CUK actively and effectively support him?

Fine words and rhetoric notwithstanding, we really must stick with them (CUK).