Mavic Aksium Disc wheels

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
rmurphy195

Mavic Aksium Disc wheels

Post by rmurphy195 »

This comes from my "Does anyone know" thread about creaking viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104561 - only just though of adding an item to the review subforum.

Basically, after only a few hundred miles use my rear Aksium disc wheel started to creak. The bike shop had a devil of a job identifying it 'cos one of the first things they did was take out the wheel and put another one in. After getting some info from Mavic they tried Mavic's wheel test (whatever that is), as a result the wheel was replaced FOC. Yup, they had 2 faulty wheels in their stock!

The problem was that the hub (I think) is made of 3 parts that are bonded together, and the bonding had failed.

Not sure of the cause - was it that the bike had been left unused in the garage in freezing cold weather? - who knows, but I'm keeping my eye on the replacement.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !