Cycle clips

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Tonyf33

Cycle clips

Post by Tonyf33 »

Do the editors of cycle clips think they can just squeeze in a few more photos of people on bikes with helmets in? I mean there are two poor defenceless souls from all the photos without plastic hats...the obsession is becoming extremely problematic IMHO.
Do the charity actually support helmets as being the de-facto choice? :roll: :evil:
Phil Fouracre

Re: Cycle clips

Post by Phil Fouracre »

You will wear a plastic hat, you will!, Janet Street-Porter says you should, and she always knows what she's talking about! It's 'for your own good' don't you know.
Happened to me for the first time yesterday: riding along in the sun, lovely day, in my floppy hat, twenty miles out, and some ***** in 'all the gear', instead of acknowledging my cheery wave, shouted that I should be wearing a lid!! Fair spoilt my ride (my reply was unprintable)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
millimole

Post by millimole »

It's not just me then! The last edition was the 'worst' I've seen for the number of plastic hats

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using hovercraft full of eels.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Phil Fouracre wrote:You will wear a plastic hat, you will!, Janet Street-Porter says you should, and she always knows what she's talking about! It's 'for your own good' don't you know.
Happened to me for the first time yesterday: riding along in the sun, lovely day, in my floppy hat, twenty miles out, and some ***** in 'all the gear', instead of acknowledging my cheery wave, shouted that I should be wearing a lid!! Fair spoilt my ride (my reply was unprintable)

I have been getting out more lately (recovering from serious operations). It has been marvellous, though the legs might beg to differ. I just give them the Jens Voigt.
I tend to often use some back lanes that are part of the NCN (they are an obvious alternative to the main road). There is a depressingly high helmet index amongst the riders I meet. I wear a cotton cap for preference in the sun, but I'm also aware that it has become a statement about expanded polystyrene.
It has come to the point that as I passed an oncoming lidless tourist I said, "where's your helmet?" I hope he took it as I meant it.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Mike Sales wrote:
Phil Fouracre wrote:You will wear a plastic hat, you will!, Janet Street-Porter says you should, and she always knows what she's talking about! It's 'for your own good' don't you know.

I have been getting out more lately (recovering from serious operations). It has been marvellous, though the legs might beg to differ. I just give them the Jens Voigt.
I tend to often use some back lanes that are part of the NCN (they are an obvious alternative to the main road). There is a depressingly high helmet index amongst the riders I meet. I wear a cotton cap for preference in the sun, but I'm also aware that it has become a statement about expanded polystyrene.
It has come to the point that as I passed an oncoming lidless tourist I said, "where's your helmet?" I hope he took it as I meant it.

My preference is for caps too. To the point where I use them at work as they fit under my chainsaw helmet (keeps all the card out) and ear defs are comfortable.

My question is: Where's your woollen cap for the winter? (Please take that as I meant it) I hope your wounds mend speedily...b
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Heltor Chasca wrote: Where's your woollen cap for the winter?
This one's mine for cold weather.
http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/hats/belgia ... ycling-cap
I have a cotton cap for the warmer weather.

Yes, Mike Sales, get well soon.
Mick F. Cornwall
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I use a Walz wool one with ear/neck cover. I've had/got several warm weather ones and the Walz much my favourite of those too the Rapha one no great shakes, TBH, I'd be a bit miffed if I'd paid anything close to RRP).

Teaching Bikeability last week it was the wide-brim hat (an Ultimate Crusher, a bit like a Tilley) for better sun protection while never having to go very fast.

Pete.

transmitted from my personal telephony apparatus
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Mick F wrote:Yes, Mike Sales, get well soon.

Thanks. Dr. Bike is doing his stuff.

I have a faded Festina cap, a Coors Classic a friend brought from the USA and a Isle of Man Cycling Week cap. Much more stylish than a helmet I think.
I just spotted an offer of 10 Liberty Seguros caps for £10 at Prendas Ciclismo so I'm fixed for the rest of my cycling life probably.

I have a couple of those warm winter cycling caps, sometimes called Belgian, which cover the ears and have a peak. Often use a synthetic beanie type from Aldi though.

http://www.prendas.co.uk/cycle-clothing/hats-headwear/cotton-cycling-caps.html
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Looks like a great deal. Like the way they say, if you want to sell them on for a profit, don't call them perfect! Might get some myself. As floppy hat not so good at speed:-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Tonyf33 wrote:Do the editors of cycle clips think they can just squeeze in a few more photos of people on bikes with helmets in? I mean there are two poor defenceless souls from all the photos without plastic hats...the obsession is becoming extremely problematic IMHO.
Do the charity actually support helmets as being the de-facto choice? :roll: :evil:

I think the organisation is more about spin/PR/presentation than the interests of cyclists/cycling. It's about chasing down grants and funding rather than pursuing cyclists interests. And as such photos of people on bike wearing plastic hats fits the image they are seeking to present.

Ian
fishfright

Post by fishfright »

It's like watching UKippers spotting immigrants in this section some days. Yeah we get it you don't want to wear one , no one is making you !

YET !!! MuhahahahHahahaha
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

fishfright wrote:It's like watching UKippers spotting immigrants in this section some days. Yeah we get it you don't want to wear one , no one is making you !

You foresee a time when those cyclists who think helmets are useless and bad for cycling will be forced to wear them? You may well be right, but why are you so gleeful about it?
We are all cyclists here, why would you be pleased that some of us might be made to do something we sincerely believe is wrong? Or have I mistaken your meaning?
fishfright

Post by fishfright »

Mike Sales wrote:
fishfright wrote:It's like watching UKippers spotting immigrants in this section some days. Yeah we get it you don't want to wear one , no one is making you !

You foresee a time when those cyclists who think helmets are useless and bad for cycling will be forced to wear them? You may well be right, but why are you so gleeful about it?
We are all cyclists here, why would you be pleased that some of us might be made to do something we sincerely believe is wrong? Or have I mistaken your meaning?

The 1st part is an interesting parallel to attitudes the 2nd is just humour
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

fishfright wrote:The 1st part is an interesting parallel to attitudes the 2nd is just humour

Not an answer. Why are you so gleeful? Saying hahaha is not wit, it just comes over as a jeer.

As for spotting helmets, we see this as part of the move towards compulsion we so dislike, but which you seem to welcome.
I see helmet wearing as a symptom of a society in which cyclists are marginalised.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I don't know if it the same in other areas but, from my limited experience, helmet wearing is almost universal on Member Group organised rides - only a small minority of rides I have been on have had anyone not wearing one. Helmet wearing is never mentioned but virtually everyone does. It make it hard therefore for any photos from any event linked Cycling UK to not have a lot of helmet wearing.

It must make life a nightmare for any editor looking for spontaneous shots without helmets.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.