Bikes on victoria - Portsmouth train

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ericonabike

Bikes on victoria - Portsmouth train

Post by ericonabike »

Am heading to Portsmouth in a week's time, taking bike and trailer on train. Am ok on the Leicester to St Pancras leg, and have checked bikes allowed unrestricted on Victoria -Portsmouth. But does anyone know details of the bike accom on the trains on that stretch? Time is a bit tight for the interchange, and having a trailer makes it that little bit more stressful. Any info useful so that I can plan the boarding procedure in advance!
Motorists' mantra: Cyclists must obey the law and the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES. Unless their doing so would HOLD ME UP.
pedalsheep

Re: Bikes on victoria - Portsmouth train

Post by pedalsheep »

Bike space is usually next to the toilets and just a matter of leaning it against a row of flip up seats with a bit of raggy velcro to secure it. I've used it a couple of times without problems. You can at least sit next to it to keep an eye on it.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
groberts

Post by groberts »

The rail company is Southern and as long as you travel outside rush hour is OK for bikes - check their website for exact time but I think it's not allowed before 10am into London and between 4pm and 7pm out in the evening.

I've used the route to Portsmouth with bikes a number of times and it's good, so long as you stick to the aforementioned guidance. Bikes are carried in a section that is also used by wheelchairs and pushchairs, usually x1 bike section for each four coaches and either x8 or sometimes x12 coaches i.e 4 or 6 bikes per train! It's not a large space and there are two single and one double seat in the same area - it comfortably accommodates two loaded bikes perhaps three at a pinch if not loaded. To identify the correct carriage door the relevant door for the bike sections are marked with a white bike logo and a red stripe across the top of the door.

However, I do not know what Southern's policy is on trailers which would probably fit in the space provided but only on a quiet train. I would suggest contact their customer services to clarify and only travel between say 11am and 4pm. South West trains also go to Porstmouth from Waterloo on a different route and could be an alternative. Good luck.
Last edited by groberts on 21 May 2016, 9:32am, edited 3 times in total.
meic

Post by meic »

However, I do not know what Southern's policy is on trailers

I dont know either but I do know, that like tandems, they are officially not allowed on our local Arriva trains.
On relatively empty trains you will probably find staff who are ignorant of, or ignore, such rules but that is too much worry for me about any return journeys.
Yma o Hyd
ericonabike

Post by ericonabike »

Much obliged all. I can picture the setup now, which I've used on other lines. The trailer is a Carry Freedom City, which is quite civilised, and looks more like a wheeled suitcase than a conventional bike trailer, so all should be well. Train is at around 13.00, so hopefully quiet and hassle free :-). Thanks again for the info.
Motorists' mantra: Cyclists must obey the law and the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES. Unless their doing so would HOLD ME UP.