carradice cotton capes?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mercalia

carradice cotton capes?

Post by mercalia »

Any one here any recent experience of these light weight breathable waxed cotton capes?

too heavy ?
do they work?

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/jackets/l-standard-carradice-duxback-rain-poncho150/

I dont like jackets as I am rather big & will have to buy blind online

I wont be doing much rain-riding so will spend most of its life packed - I understand many plastic type capes dont like that and the waterproof layer can crack.
Last edited by mercalia on 6 Jun 2016, 12:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bicycler

Re: carradice cotton capes?

Post by Bicycler »

Capes need to have a bit of weight to them. The light plastic capes flap around like there's no tomorrow when there's a bit of wind. Thankfully when you hear the words 'Carradice' and 'waxed cotton' you know that the word 'lightweight' means no such thing :lol: I haven't used a cape in thirty years but the one avid cape wearer I know swears by the Duxback. Initially he didn't like having the built in hood after previously wearing a seperate sou'wester but I think he's come to terms with it now.

Rotrax also used to make high-quality traditional capes but don't know if they are still around.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Bicycler wrote:Capes need to have a bit of weight to them. The light plastic capes flap around like there's no tomorrow when there's a bit of wind.
Agree entirely. The mistake people made was buying light capes - remember the Pakit?

Rotrax also used to make high-quality traditional capes but don't know if they are still around.
No capes in the last 5 years or so. The original Rotrax (1980s) was a copy of the old Lillywhite and Lewis PVC on cotton. Very heavy. In the 90s they did away with a lot of the cotton so the cape was a bit lighter but it still weighs quite a bit more than the Carradice Duxback. It lives on my saddlebag all year around. For spending hours or days in the rain (on tour) I do not think you can beat a cape. For a short ride where you do not mind getting wet, or commuting perhaps, a jacket is probably a better option.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I bought a Rotrax cape a year or two ago. They said there would be no more after this batch had sold out, but there were still a few left.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

tatanab wrote: ...The original Rotrax (1980s) was a copy of the old Lillywhite and Lewis PVC on cotton. Very heavy. In the 90s they did away with a lot of the cotton so the cape was a bit lighter but it still weighs quite a bit more than the Carradice Duxback. It lives on my saddlebag all year around. For spending hours or days in the rain (on tour) I do not think you can beat a cape. ...

That was what I was thinking - not so much some thing to ride in but if it rains a lot you can stop, squat down and have a portable tent and not get cold.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Love the colour - blends in nicely with the surroundings on a grey, rainy day, not like those horrible yellow ones you could see from miles away ....
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I've got one of those horrible yellow ones. Paid £10 for it from Wilkinsons. Yes it is heavy, but it has kept me bone dry on tour, while my companions in their very expensive "waterproofs" were soaked. Makes a good groundsheet as well.
ThePinkOne

Post by ThePinkOne »

There are also the Cleverhood capes from the US- they sell direct although shipping costs are a tad eyewatering.

Rather costly but very well made (in the US), and some are made from fabrics that are smart but have reflective material woven in and have extra straps to fold the cape in a bit off the bike. Those ones are smart enough to also wear as a rain-cape off the bike, a decent fabric but fold small enough to go into a pannier/briefcase. Some styles have different sizes (lengths) available. All have thumb-loops and at least some reflective piping of incorporated threads.

TPO.
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

I had a Lewis PVC over cotton cape which was heavy enough to take the wind. Brilliant thing but I'd probably not buy one today..
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

ThePinkOne wrote:There are also the Cleverhood capes from the US- they sell direct although shipping costs are a tad eyewatering.

Rather costly but very well made (in the US), and some are made from fabrics that are smart but have reflective material woven in and have extra straps to fold the cape in a bit off the bike. Those ones are smart enough to also wear as a rain-cape off the bike, a decent fabric but fold small enough to go into a pannier/briefcase. Some styles have different sizes (lengths) available. All have thumb-loops and at least some reflective piping of incorporated threads.

TPO.

Yes I saw them - looked very fashionable and didnt seem just for cycling? A return to the cloak idea? I always fancied having a cloak :lol:
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

rmurphy195 wrote:Love the colour - blends in nicely with the surroundings on a grey, rainy day, not like those horrible yellow ones you could see from miles away ....

It's refreshing to read a comment from someone who hasn't fallen for the hi-vis nonsense :wink:
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

My cape was yellow in 1963. I don't think they had hi-viz then.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

:D Yep, that was before the terms "hi-viz" and "invisible cyclists" were created, back when bright clothing was a choice and not a social obligation.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mercalia wrote:
That was what I was thinking - not so much some thing to ride in but if it rains a lot you can stop, squat down and have a portable tent and not get cold.

Wouldn't a lightweight army type poncho be best for that? Also cheaper. And can even be turned into a tarp for bivvying (have done a garden experiment with the last bit and have since bought a lightweight pole but have yet to try in the wilds).

With the hood on and squatting you would have your desired instant tent in a pocket to sit out the worst storm. I believe josey drew is also a fan of the poncho's instant toilet tent facility, though as a bloke you won't be needing this.

If you are interested I can supply a link.
Sweep
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

I got a cape last year from an LBS. It is a lightweight yellow PVC one so a few times it has been a bit interesting on windy day, but it has been great at keep me dry without overheating and can be put on quite quickly over anything else you might be wearing including a back pack. The hood is a bit of floppy nuisance unless you wear a helmet and have the hood covering that. I wanted to try a cheap basic one to see I got on with it will probably look for a heavier weight one before the winter. Would quite like a cape without hood and get a sou-wester to go with instead.