Wearing helmet in UK - adults and children

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Irene R

Wearing helmet in UK - adults and children

Post by Irene R »

Dear all, We will make a bicycle tour through England and we're wondering if it's mandatory to wear a helmet? Our child sits in a child seat on the bicycle. Is it for children mandatory to wear a helmet when they are in the child seat? Thank you for your response!
james01

Re: Wearing helmet in UK - adults and children

Post by james01 »

No, it's not a legal requirement for adults or for children.
The majority of young children tend to wear helmets, but this is not a legal requirement.
pwa

Post by pwa »

No. You make your own judgments.
Graham

Post by Graham »

As you have posted from an ISP in the Netherlands : . . ..

Gosh, where do I start ??

Do you really want to cycle here ?? Why ??
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

pwa wrote:No. You make your own judgments.

...but prepare to be told off by strangers who a) think that a child carried on a bike is required by law to wear a helmet, and b) in any case think you are negligent in not making your child wear one.

It's up to you whether you ignore them, laugh at their faulty knowledge, or take time to explain why your child isn't wearing a helmet (and why you aren't?). I've tried all three approaches. Explaining is best if you can keep a cool head (no pun intended). Otherwise, ignore them.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Helmet or no helmet Irene enjoy your tour oh and I have ordered sunshine for you.
pwa

Post by pwa »

In spite of what Graham says, there is plenty of good cycling here. We even have hills!
meic

Post by meic »

They asked about England not Wales.

Where we have fifty different words for hills. Dont ask me to list them all.
Yma o Hyd
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Yes, do enjoy your visit :D The UK has no helmet requirements for adults or children. Police in the UK are more strict about carrying passengers on bicycles, but a child in a child seat is perfectly fine.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

As said above it's your choice to wear a helmet or not. I've only had a few instances of being told I should wear a helmet. The worst was from a salesman in a really good local bike shop. He flounced off in a huff that I didn't see things his way. He no longer works there, I hope the two things are linked.

One thing I've noticed, when I've worn a helmet I got the distinct impression of getting more close overtakes. Anecdotal and unproven but it's my personal feeling.

Another thing, whenever I've been towing a child trailer or had a child on a rear seat I got the distinct.impression that drivers gave us a lot wider space when they overtook us than if I was on my own.

If you're coming from the.Netherlands please enjoy your trip and don't judge our country by the attitudes towards cyclists. I've cycled a little in Amsterdam and near Edam. The feeling was one of pleasure, acceptance by all and safety. In the UK there isn't the same acceptance of cycling but it isn't that bad once you get off the beaten track. Buy a map from Sustrans, they show the best cycling provision in map area that we have. On a main NCN cycle route the locals may be more used to cyclists and more accepting which makes for a nicer ride IME.

Enjoy your trip over here, there's some very nice places to ride.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

It might also be worth giving details of your route and plans, as advice can be offered on these as well
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

, there is plenty of good cycling here. We even have hills!

I provided a route for a Dutch club who wanted a hilly 3 days in Kent. No problem :D
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

As said, no requirement at all. Just to reassure you my son was brought up cycling; trailer from 3 weeks old, Bike seat from 7 months, tandem from 31/2 yrs and gradually to solo bike with increasing mileage as he got bigger.... all helmet-free with no issues. We found vehicles gave us a wide berth with the trailer and bike seat....

Enjoy England and if you have an area you are particularly keen to cycle let us know and we can advise....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Irene R

Post by Irene R »

Thank you for all your prompt responses! It was a joy to read them!
We will leave tonight by boat and will visit the North York Moors, York, Robin Hoods' Bay, etc. The shots we've seen from the Tour of Yorkshire promise beautiful views!

Thank you for ordering some sun shine, the weather forecast is quite positive.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Yorkshire! Good choice!