A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
sjs

Re: A positive thread

Post by sjs »

On a short tour in Somerset, Devon and Dorset. Cycled from Watchet to Hatherleigh in the depths of central Devon today. Massively hilly but warm, scenic and not too long. And the Tally Ho in Hatherleigh is a nice pub.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my Nexus 4 using hovercraft full of eels.
robing

Post by robing »

Cycling in to Barcelona today and a kindly rather elderly cyclist (but he couldn't half shift) pulls alongside me on my laden touring bike and offers me something in a bag. I can't reach in and cycle at the same time. Then I realise he wants me to take the whole bag! The contents were dates! Made my day.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Not cycling related, but, my 2 girls are now living with me full time :D :D :D
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Vantage wrote:Not cycling related, but, my 2 girls are now living with me full time :D :D :D

Best post in ages. Well done my friend...b
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Vantage wrote:Not cycling related, but, my 2 girls are now living with me full time :D :D :D

congrats! I'm happy for you.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I worked in another location today and took my bike on the train. I had plenty of time & was just pootling along & noticed another cyclist stopped by the side of the path, so I stopped and asked if she need any help. She was worried about a brake rubbing. I could immediately see that the wheel was a bit wonky, and checked the QR, which was a little loose. So I undid it, straightened the wheel, did it up properly and gave it a quick spin. All sorted. She was sooo happy :) It made my morning.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Not cycling related.. Its 40 years since the Sex Pistols first gig at Manchesters Lesser Free Trade Hall. A significant step in the birth of alternative music. Rough Trade followed smashing the cosy cartel stifling the music industry leading to the rich British musical scene we enjoy today. Today my daughters 14th album is released - Minor Victories! So proud of her. I'm off for a ride…

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Decided to cycle using bike paths today (losing my nerve on the road).

On the way down the Lickey road (on the Brompton!), roadie pulls up and has a friendly natter while we are waiting for the lights to change.

Some while later I gets to Canon Hill park - girl in cafe has no change, before I knew what was happening, chap behind me offer to pay the extra over the change I had - and wouldn't accept a polite refusal! I guess readers of the Jack Reacher novels will guess what I'm obliged (in the nicest possible way) to do next.

Fair made my day :D :D :D :D

(PS I'm a mid-60's potterer, not a comely young maiden!)
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Scanning through this great forum but a little depressed with looking at moans and groans re: Tractors not pulling over for traffic (positive - weird as they do it quite happily in my nick of the woods, hardly an issue at all), Disinterest in Olympics, The CTC winged logo revisited (again), Chris Evans and the poisoned TG challice etc etc. So thought I'd bounce this one back up.

My Mercian has a new bottom bracket, riding lovely again. Ticking gone and seems smoother. Why did I leave it so long?! :D
Oh and the link a kind poster gave me to the TdF theme music :D
And finally, I'm on holiday in France soon, planning to hire bikes at least one day in Brittany :D

Happy cycling
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I got to go out on my bike today! Woohoo! First ride in almost two weeks.
This full time dad malarkey doesn't half keep me busy and cycling days are so rare now that the bikes tyres deflated to less than 20psi through sitting there going nowhere but I wouldn't have it any other way :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
pwa

Post by pwa »

I was about to cross the road on a new housing estate near Tonypandy in the Rhondda Valley a couple of evenings ago when I had to stop and wait as two girls sped past on their bikes. Aged about ten, they were on BMX style bikes and flew downhill at about 25mph, shreeking and laughing as they went past. It instantly took me back to when I was that age, doing exactly what they were doing. Pure, innocent fun.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Sat down to an evening meal last night almost entirely composed of produce from my new allotment (apart from the meat). A potage bonne femme - leek, carrot and potato soup. Main course with massive Charlotte baked potato, runner beans, green beans and carrots. Strawberries and Raspberries for the sweet.

At lunch our salad included our own lettuce, spring onions, beetroot, radishes and sliced courgette.

Very satisfing

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
groberts

Post by groberts »

Since my Total Knee Replacement almost 15 months ago I've struggled to get over 20 miles and certainly not ventured back touring. As a compromise we've just returned from 8-days cycling in northern France, taking the bikes by car then using a central campsite for day rides - initially around the Baie du Somme before moving on to my long tine favourite at Martigny, just south of Dieppe by the Avenue Verte. Great weather, great riding (as usual), great food, daily average of 25 to +30 miles! Happy days + there's hope yet.

Just outside Le Crotoy: why don't all roundabouts look like this?
Just outside Le Crotoy: why don't all roundabouts look like this?
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Had my first go on a bent trike yesterday!
Erin and I were invited to a birthday party with Simply Cycling at Whythenshawe Park yesterday and tried loads of weird and wonderful bikes.
Most of the bikes were in need of a mechanic but despite slipping gears, chains, freewheels and bent wheels, we had a really good day.
I have to get me a bent trike asap! They're brill fun :mrgreen:
Attachments
FB_IMG_1469364475700.jpg
Bill

Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Vantage wrote:Had my first go on a bent trike yesterday!
Erin and I were invited to a birthday party with Simply Cycling at Whythenshawe Park yesterday and tried loads of weird and wonderful bikes.
Most of the bikes were in need of a mechanic but despite slipping gears, chains, freewheels and bent wheels, we had a really good day.
I have to get me a bent trike asap! They're brill fun :mrgreen:

[emoji23]

For a bloke with no eyes (or are they sunglasses?) and an upside-down smile I'll need some convincing you were having fun [emoji6]

Nice one. Keep the girls in the dream. I'm taking mine (6&14) round the NL in a few weeks.