LLC - Harlech

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
honesty

Re: LLC - Harlech

Post by honesty »

Thanks PH. I will have a look :)

heading out on this route in 4 weeks time. I'm hoping the nice weather stays around til then...

(Shopping for decent waterproof trousers being done now ;) )
captain offensive

Post by captain offensive »

Hi all,

Some great advice on here about this section - I'm doing South to North at the end of July. My main issue is less the hills - don't get me wrong I'm no particular fan of them - I just don't mind giving them a go - its more that I can not pass a castle without stopping.

Therefore I am duty bound to ride into Harlech. The question is if I take that diversion is it really worth me climbing back up onto the main route 8?

I'd be happy to give it a go - but just how great are the views etc along that part of the route? Is it worth the pain? If I took the unsigned route inland around Llanfair and dropped down into Harlech would that give me a good flavour of that part of the route?

I guess I'm basically trying to work out the pros and cons of

http://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_4335947.html

vs

http://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_4335944.html

Any thoughts much appreciated :-)
Tail End Charlie

Post by Tail End Charlie »

I'd do the second route, but the best part is after Harlech through Eisingrug, which both your routes go through. It's stunning.
I love Harlech castle, it's my favourite in the world. I go every year and don't get bored with it.
captain offensive

Thanks Charlie - I'm looking forward to spoiling myself castle wise on that day (Barmouth to Bangor) as I'm planning on visiting Harlech, Criccieth and Caernarfon and possibly also adding a quick end of the day spin over to Beuamaris as well! Been at least twenty years since I've been to any of them so getting quite excited about visiting them all in one day under my own steam! Will make for a long day but I think my childlike enthusiasm for defensive masonry will see me though!

Thanks for the advice re the route. Sounds like a plan - though doubtless I'll get lost at some point and ending up going one route by default anyway! :-)

Rich
derek6380

Post by derek6380 »

With regards to getting back on n8 if you visit Harlech Castle.
It is extremely steep.
I walked the Ardudwy Way back in April which involved a walk up the hill from the Castle and along n8.With just a backpack it was hard.
The view back down towards Harlech is amazing though.
The A road is quite flat in comparison.
captain offensive

Thanks Derek. Sounds tough but might still give it a go. Think I'll play it by ear on the day