Midge repellent for trip to the Trossachs

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Elizabeth_S

Re: Midge repellent for trip to the Trossachs

Post by Elizabeth_S »

I use Smidge, you can buy it locally (I live just outside the Trossachs, we get them in our garden), and Savlon Bites and Stings Relief Gel, so you don't don't scratch.
scoot

Post by scoot »

Thanks all,

I can see this putting the missus off of Scotland forever, and its her first trip there. I'm going to keep this and down low as possible and prepare suitably. Fortunately we have a cottage to stay in and a car to hide in and may well have to minimise outdoor activities if we have a problem on the first few days.

I've been to Scotland a few times for work and camped at Fort Augustus on a motorbike tour and wasn't too troubled so I will be positive until proven otherwise :?

Thanks again,

Paul
Two wheels good, 4 wheels bad
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

For some reason it's often the female of the species that get more badly attacked. Just saying :(
scoot

Post by scoot »

And it will all be my fault too :oops:
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

Come on, I live locally and it isn't that bad. People live here, we get bitten also, and we cycle, walk, sail, play golf, garden, and get on with our lives. Midges are not nice, but if you are staying in a cottage, there's no problem. I hate cleggs more (it's a bit early for them).
scoot

Post by scoot »

Hi Elizabeth,

Thank you for the positive comments. I will strap on a pair and get on with it :mrgreen:

Apart from the golf we do similar things - well the wife gardens, we sail, walk and cycle together. Therefore we will be just fine :)

What repellent do you use?

Sincere thanks,

Paul
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I expect different repellants work for different people. I've tried Smidge but find it's not as good as my old stick of Autan, which contains DEET. The modern Autan sticks are different. You can still buy the old formula as a spray but I prefer sticks - sprays are harder to control and I don't like getting the palms of my hands clarted.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

If you're up for an all-in-one solution for the daytime I can recommend "Sunsect" combined suncream and insect repellant Really good stuff, which I use in the Tropics when fishing. (although you would, I think, have to get it from the US as I think the European importer gave up)
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Just spent a couple of the weeks touring on the west coast (and Islands) and have a good crop of midge bites on my legs as a result. I camped every night and as others have said if there is a wind then you will be fine. On the two mornings that it was still I had a fine collection of them on the tent fly sheet! A combination of midge net, long trousers and "Smidge" worked reasonably well for me. Most of the bites I have I got one evening when I was putting the tent up without applying anything and just had cycling shorts on. I won't make that mistake again!

Please don't let them put you off. It is a truly wonderful part of the world, I hope you enjoy your stay!
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

In a cottage you will be fine, unless you go outside on a still evening.
There are worse places than the Trossachs for midgies.
Best repellent in my opinion is Lifesystems 100, contains high levels of DEET but keeps them from biting, a dense swarm will still annoy the hell out of you though even if they aren't biting.
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Avon skin so soft was indeed the best repellent but as already mentioned the formula has changed so it no longer works , smidge is about the best stuff on the market , as long there is a slight breeze you should have no problem . As for somebody saying there not too bad , they want to come and stand in my garden on a nice still night and see how long they last ! ! :D
nathb

Post by nathb »

loch eck steve wrote:Avon skin so soft was indeed the best repellent but as already mentioned the formula has changed so it no longer works , smidge is about the best stuff on the market , as long there is a slight breeze you should have no problem . As for somebody saying there not too bad , they want to come and stand in my garden on a nice still night and see how long they last ! ! :D

Bugger, I've just bought 6 bottles of the stuff :lol:
drossall

Post by drossall »

Funnily enough, I've just had this discussion tonight at a planning meeting for a Scout expedition to Lochearnhead this summer. The walking leaders, who are much more experienced than am I, are still recommending Avon. I'll ask, but they go up there regularly. I'd have thought they'd have spotted if it has stopped working!

For camping, since I'm not taking the cyclists above the midge line, they've suggested an enclosed tent and burning the midge coils suggested by LollyKat in the living space. That's what I'm planning, therefore.

Edit - one warning was that Deet affects plastics including waterproofs.
Last edited by drossall on 7 Jun 2016, 10:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

The midges are at their worst right now. You can't get out in the evening unless you have some sort of deterrent on. Keep doing your homework and, like the Scouts, be prepared.
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

Wasn't there some story that the ghillies on the Balmoral estate used to allocated half a pound of tobacco each day ao they continually smoke filthy pipes to drive the buggers off. I was in Knoydart last year and whilst they weren't terrible at one point I was still being bitten whilst trying to cook despite it actually raining at the time.

On another occasion the Mrs thought I was being a bit of a whimp complaining about them in the Lakes when I was huffing and puffing changing a (car) tyre. When we were back home and I'd come out of the bath covered in red blotches, she did say "ooh you have been bitten. I thought you were just making a fuss"