Cyclists Dismount

mjr

Re: Cyclists Dismount

Post by mjr »

gaz wrote:The Monsal Trail (NCN680) appears on Sustrans mapping without any link to Bakewell, local cycle routes and facilities are usually shown. IMO "Cyclists Dismount" and "(wheeled route)"are intended to inform you that the route should not be cycled.

That's odd. It looks like Bakewell Station and Station Road is a good link, although I can't spot where the pictured sign was. Have I misunderstood?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

So often it is the case: all is clear to us until we find another's clarity muddies our view.
jochta

Post by jochta »

mjr wrote:
jochta wrote:I disagree. If you are cycling towards the sign from behind the camera it's telling you the route continues left but you are supposed to dismount to continue that way as it is a wheeled route, i.e. you are supposed to wheel your bike and not ride it. The sign is facing the approaching cyclists.

As it does not indicate a direction, I would understand the sign as applying to if I pass beyond the sign. By turning left, I wouldn't pass beyond it and I'd probably believe that I could continue riding. If I obeyed every sign that was merely facing me, the roads would probably become unusable. After all, there's a 7.5t weight limit sign facing me beyond a nearby crossroads and that doesn't mean mean lorries can't turn left before the limit.

If they wished to convey the dismount as applying to the left turn, I feel it should be a blue patch on the left-pointing sign... or better to omit both the dismount sign and the white bike symbol and put a no-cycling red/white circle as a patch on the brown background.

I never said it was right but I'm sure that's what they intended when they put the sign there. BTW they shouldn't use a No Cycling sign at the end of a cycle facility...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 22.16.34.png
Last edited by jochta on 9 Nov 2015, 10:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
jochta

Post by jochta »

rmurphy195 wrote:I simply couldn't understand this one, coming off the Monsal trail into Bakewell

As I said above they are trying to tell cyclists that there is a break in the cycle route here and they should dismount and continue left on foot to reach the town centre. This signpost only relates to the Monsal trail. It's not trying to tell you anything about going straight on or any other direction. I don't actually think it's that ambiguous...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 22.21.09.png
RickH

Post by RickH »

No - it is as clear as mud!

...Unless you can see the signs in context. I made assumptions that there was a straight ahead route that the sign referred to, or whether it is the continuation of the cycle route to the left that it applies to (or whether indeed it is a global instruction or simply a statement of fact :wink: ).

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
gaz

Post by gaz »

mjr wrote:
gaz wrote:The Monsal Trail (NCN680) appears on Sustrans mapping without any link to Bakewell, local cycle routes and facilities are usually shown. IMO "Cyclists Dismount" and "(wheeled route)"are intended to inform you that the route should not be cycled.

That's odd. It looks like Bakewell Station and Station Road is a good link, although I can't spot where the pictured sign was. Have I misunderstood?

Bakewell NCN680.jpg

Sustrans mapping does not show any cycle routes between Bakewell and the Monsal Trail. Clearly there are roads and the "(wheeled route)" public footpath but there are no recommended routes shown.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mjr

Post by mjr »

You just mean that Sustrans has a route but no network in that area (again)? That is, there are cyclable routes but sustrans doesn't recognise them?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

jochta wrote:As I said above they are trying to tell cyclists that there is a break in the cycle route here and they should dismount and continue left on foot to reach the town centre.

Is this like that ludicrous situation in Padstow where a converted railway foot/cycle path enters the town and comes to a dead end at the edge of a car park with signs requiring cyclists to dismount and walk through the car park to gain access to the town's road network? Another isolated cycle route not linking to the local roads at one end?

Why can't they do the same with some motorways - have them end at a car park with no route onward? Blackpool has a feature a little like that, but there is an exit a mile or so before the car park.
gaz

Post by gaz »

I thought you'd like to see one of my favourites.
DSCN0011.JPG

DSCN0012.JPG

North is a brick wall. South is about 5 yards of shared path to a toucan crossing. The mind boggles.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

They look absolutely pointless.
Remember it's an "information" sign....... so why do cyclists dismount? :? :lol: :lol:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Fasgadh

Post by Fasgadh »

Northumberland CC seem to have got the idea that we cannot handle any of their cattle grids. Every grid between Carrycotts and Kirkwhelpington has our favourite blue sign either side of it. How much did this cost? The red triangle is warning enough for those who are not confident or in wet weather. Grids in good nick, but a bigger hazard on this road are the drifts of gravel at the bottom of the hills.

(Away from here there is a stretch of road near Dalkeith which has 5 such instructions in little more than a kilometre.)

The wretched things are breeding.
Geoffroid

Post by Geoffroid »

I contacted my local councillor and the Highways Dept at Northumberland Council, to ask why the Cyclist Dismount signs were being used at cattle grids. No reply was received from either. This is a little irritating.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

A few designs of cattle grids exist, tubes, RHS tubes (rectangular hollow section), spacing may vary a little perhaps.
Is there a UK standard for cattle grids?

edit
found it
http://shop.bsigroup.com/ProductDetail/ ... 0030144002
but it would cost £112 / £56 to examine.

I think RHS is better for cycling across, could all cattle grids use RHS?
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I doubt if the decision to put up these signs is determined by the type or condition of the individual grid. Inglestone Common, north of Chipping Sodbury, has four cattle grids but only one has a Cyclists Dismount sign. All four are in type and this one is in better condition than others. The only thing that might determine it is its position, at the bottom of a steep hill; audax riders might know the climb to the Somerset Monument. But the road has actually flattened out at that point; besides, it's actually much easier, comfortable and more stable to go over a cattle grid with a bit of speed -- I'd say 15 to 20mph is good, even up to 25mph. Under 10 is far worse.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

gaz wrote:I thought you'd like to see one of my favourites.
DSCN0011.JPG

DSCN0012.JPG
North is a brick wall. South is about 5 yards of shared path to a toucan crossing. The mind boggles.

Amazing! Is it because there is a slope? And, you might not be able to pedal up it?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity