Bay Cycle Way - places to stay?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
GrumpyCyclist

Bay Cycle Way - places to stay?

Post by GrumpyCyclist »

I'm looking at doing some of the Bay Cycle Way at Morecambe in the Summer. Should be a nice ride out for me and the wife. Anyone here know of any cycle friendly B&B in the area? I could probably do the route I'm planning in a few hours but hoping to make a day of it so may as well add an overnight stop while I'm at it. Looking at starting in either Morecambe or Lancaster but am open to alternatives.
Weight 8th July 2015 111.9Kg : Weight now 93.8Kg. Mostly due to cycling. Wish I'd started much sooner :( #LoveTheBike
eileithyia

Re: Bay Cycle Way - places to stay?

Post by eileithyia »

I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
buryman

Post by buryman »

Comfortable hostel affiliated to the YHA at Arnside.
vsmith1

Post by vsmith1 »

There are lots of B&Bs in Grange-Over-Sands and Silverdale, Morecambe also have accommodation. I would guess that Cartmel might be more limited and I'm not sure about Ulverston.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Morecambe is a bit limited. If you can get a deal at the fantastic Art Deco hotel The Midland that would be ideal. The standard rate is pricey but they do look after your bike well! In Lancaster try the wagon and horses on the quay or the sun inn. I think they both would be good with bikes. Otherwise there are the usual bigger hotels.

If you are finishing the route at Glasson Dock, the Stork at nearby Condor Green is good as well.
GrumpyCyclist

Post by GrumpyCyclist »

Sorry for being late getting back to this topic. Been a bit busy and completely forgot about it. My fault.

We decided in the end to stay in Lancaster at a place found on AirB&B. So the plan is to arrive in Lancaster early morning then go down to Glasson, back up to Morecambe, Carnforth, loop around Carnforth and back down to Lancaster. It's only about 35mi but I think that will be Mrs Grumpy's limit for a day's cycling with a bit of sightseeing and eating along the way. If she's got it in her legs we may go up to Arnside but it gets a bit steeper that way and I don't think she'll manage it / speak to me for a week. Then when get back to Lancaster if there's any time left we'll mooch into Lancaster for some wandering about / evening meal then back to the B&B for the night then head home the following day.

So a related question, anyone got any tips of where to stop en route for food, water bottle topping up etc? Depending on time we'll probably try Packet Bridge Chippy in Bolton-le-Sands for lunch but some other options that people have tried would be nice
Weight 8th July 2015 111.9Kg : Weight now 93.8Kg. Mostly due to cycling. Wish I'd started much sooner :( #LoveTheBike
pal

Post by pal »

If you need an early stop, then the Cafe d'Lune at the (almost) end of the path down to Glasson is a nice, and very cyclist-friendly spot, esp. on a sunny day: http://barnesbike.wix.com/cafe
GrumpyCyclist

Post by GrumpyCyclist »

pal wrote:If you need an early stop, then the Cafe d'Lune at the (almost) end of the path down to Glasson is a nice, and very cyclist-friendly spot, esp. on a sunny day: http://barnesbike.wix.com/cafe

Thanks for that. I'll have a look :)