Retrofitting panniers with new fastening kit

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jackt

Retrofitting panniers with new fastening kit

Post by jackt »

I have a couple of sets of perfectly good panniers (one the classic green cordura Karrimor, the other by Agu - pic attached). However, the fastening kit is pretty bad on both, either through (mis)use, poor design, age, or a combination of all three.

I am looking to retrofit the panniers with some good fixings - I really like the Ortlieb system - but wondered if there were any others that I should consider. I realise this may require a fair bit of fettling, and possibly some riveting, so I thought I'd ask for advice:

Which fixing system would you recommend, and are spare part kits available, and reasonably priced?

thanks!

Jack
panniers.jpg
gloomyandy

Re: Retrofitting panniers with new fastening kit

Post by gloomyandy »

Personally I'd got for the Ortlieb QL1/QL2 fixing system. It should be reasonably easy to fit to your existing kit. SJS cycles seems to carry most of the parts (Spa Cycles also carry some parts but they do not seem to have the QL1/QL2 upper rails which you will need). Only downside is that buying all the parts needed will add up in terms of cost. Not sure how the total would compare to say a second hand set of panniers?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

You can buy all parts of the Ortlieb system easily - not something you can do with any other set up. As its screwed there is no riveting involved, the self tapping screws just need a small pilot hole.
I've upgraded Carradice and Karrimore bags with Ortlieb, the biggest job is removing the old hardware! You will of course need to patch any old holes but that's not a big job.
The only real issue is the cost, are the old bags actually worth the expense? All the parts for a pair of bags may well set you back £40 or more.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
AaronR

Post by AaronR »

Having researched this myself recently can tell you that SJS do carry all the Ortlieb spares as I had found some small Army utility pouches about bar bag size which would have made perfect small front panniers

It wasn't going to be a cheap option though, can't remember exactly what it would have cost, but I know I probably dismissed it because it would have cost more than a newer pair of bags
julk

Post by julk »

I retrofitted my super C panniers with Arkel Cam Lock Hook kits.
They are easy to fit, work well and hang onto a wide variety of rack tubing.
Pricey, but long lasting.
I discarded the lower fixing from the kit and went with the plastic hook already on the pannier
http://www.arkel-od.com/en/cam-lock-hook-kit.html
drossall

Post by drossall »

In answer to a similar appeal from me, a user on another forum kindly provided a Rixen & Kaul fitting, which has been excellent (till the pannier fell apart...).
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Full spares are available for Altura pannier systems as well, they are good quality, https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage-hoo ... and=altura
jackt

Post by jackt »

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.
drossall

Post by drossall »

rualexander wrote:Full spares are available for Altura pannier systems as well, they are good quality, https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage-hoo ... and=altura

That's the Rixen & Kaul one. Very secure - it clips the pannier to the rack, and you have to press the button at the same time as lifting.