Boardman Road Comp bike and mudguards?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
531colin

Boardman Road Comp bike and mudguards?

Post by 531colin »

My Son-in-law's cycle to work scheme is fixed to Halfords.
He wants a "road" bike and he is going to ride it to work, so mudguards will be a good idea, and some way of carrying a bag.
The Boardman CX comp. obviously has mudguard clearance, but I'm not attracted by Tektro Lyra brakes or an alloy fork. http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-cx-comp-bike
The Boardman Road Comp for a tiny bit more money has full carbon fork with tapered steerer and Spyre brakes. There are rack mounts, but does anybody know if there is clearance or mounts for mudguards? http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-road-comp-bike

And do Halfords sell a better bike for the job?
roubaixtuesday

Re: Boardman Road Comp bike and mudguards?

Post by roubaixtuesday »

It's well hidden in the small print but the Halford scheme does actually allow you to get either them or another independent shop in their network to order any bike.

I've not done it myself but I know a couple of people who have.
gerrymcm

Post by gerrymcm »

I'm 99% sure that Condor (in London) accept Halford's vouchers from the C2C scheme.
Not sure it's helpful if your SIL isn't in/near London but if they accept them maybe others do (?)
Do distance selling regulations still apply via C2W scheme?

good luck
Last edited by gerrymcm on 21 Jun 2016, 8:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

I had the Road Sport(model down from the Comp)as a Winter bike fitted with Raceblade long mudguards.Plenty of clearance but the fork was alloy.
I now have the CX Comp as my Winter/off road bike and TBH the Brakes aren't that bad.Coming from a Mountain Biking background they're not as good as Hydraulic Brakes but they're still better than Rim brakes!
AlecEdworthy

Post by AlecEdworthy »

Can't comment on the mud guard clearance on that bike, however when I was looking at the Boardman Hybrid Team bike my local branch suggested clip on rear guard rather than one mounted on proper screws etc.

My workplace's C2W scheme is the Halfords one but I got my bike (Trek Allant 7.4) from my LBS as I am not overly enamoured with Halfords and my LBS have been very helpful and well recommended. You do loose out a little as when I got my letter of collection there was an additional 12.5% to purchase additional accessories and safety equipment completely free of charge, however that additional value was only available at Halfords so if the letter of collection is used at another store which accepts the Halfords scheme then the additional 12.5% is lost. Not the end of the world, but it could sway some people (I didn't know about it when deciding the value of my voucher and selecting the bike and so it couldn't factor into my decision).

A
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

As mentioned above you can get non Halfords bikes via the Halfords scheme.
niggle

Post by niggle »

Are these models not on display in your local Halfords?
graymee

Post by graymee »

I have a 2012 Boardman Road Comp. I have fitted Crud Racer II (http://www.crudproducts.com/roadracer-mk2/) mudguards to mine and I think they work well.
I'm not old and cynical, I'm realistic!
niggle

Post by niggle »

graymee wrote:I have a 2012 Boardman Road Comp. I have fitted Crud Racer II (http://www.crudproducts.com/roadracer-mk2/) mudguards to mine and I think they work well.

I have used these on a previous road bike- they are the best option when nothing else will fit but they wobble about, don't last and don't provide any where near as much protection as proper chromoplastic (or Giles Berthoud stainless) mudguards. In this scenario where the bike is not yet purchased it is better to make sure you have enough clearance for proper mudguards before you buy IMO, which I imagine is precisely why Colin is asking the question about clearance.

If you want a disc brake road bike with mudguard clearance you can get it quite reasonably with a Planet X Kaffenback http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXKAFFAP ... -road-bike. £599.99, 12 or 24 mth interest free credit

You even get room, with mudguards, for most 32mm tyres*, a steel frame, mudguard and rack mounts (but the rear disc will get in the way of any rack that is not disc brake specific).

*32mm Voyager Hypers were a bit tight, but they measured 33mm and Zafiro 32mm were fine.

Not sure if the info below helps as well?

"Which Cycle Schemes do we accept?

Direct payment from employers
http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk
NHS SME HCI schemes
On Your Bike
Cycle Plus
Bike 2 Work Scheme
Salary extras bike scheme

We don't accept Halfords or Evans Cycles vouchers."
niggle

Post by niggle »

Also Pinnacle range at Evans have mudguard clearance and some disc brake models: https://www.evanscycles.com/bikes/road- ... ce_inc_vat 0% finance available.
Lucyhan

Post by Lucyhan »

My workplace also runs the Cycle2work scheme which you are supposed to purchase your bicycle from Halfords. However I rang the phone number of the scheme which was on the paperwork and the staff member was very helpful in telling me all the local shops where I could buy the bicycle from. I have now purchased 2 bikes from a local bike shop under the C2W.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Lucyhan wrote:My workplace also runs the Cycle2work scheme which you are supposed to purchase your bicycle from Halfords. However I rang the phone number of the scheme which was on the paperwork and the staff member was very helpful in telling me all the local shops where I could buy the bicycle from. I have now purchased 2 bikes from a local bike shop under the C2W.

Same here, had Halfords come to my workplace and the sales guy was adamant that it was Halfords only which put me off but phoned the number on the leaflet and was given 6 LBS in my area who accepted Halfords LoC. Went for a £1000 bike and ended up with an £1100 bike with free rack and guards :D