Smartphone GPS Tracking

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Smartphone GPS Tracking

Post by Mick F »

Just thinking the other day, that as my Samsung Galaxy2 has GPS, I could use it for navigation with a downloaded map. I know lots of folk do this ........... as described on here.

Is there an App that'll allow a tracklog to be recorded? Can you use a smartphone as a basic "Garmin" and record a GPX track?
Maybe upload the track via Dropbox or USB connection?
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Re: Smartphone GPS Tracking

Post by pete75 »

Mick F wrote:Just thinking the other day, that as my Samsung Galaxy2 has GPS, I could use it for navigation with a downloaded map. I know lots of folk do this ........... as described on here.

Is there an App that'll allow a tracklog to be recorded? Can you use a smartphone as a basic "Garmin" and record a GPX track?

Alpine Quest - if you use the paid for version - about a fiver you get OS coverage of the whole of the UK. Cycle streets is another good app and free.

I've been using GPS enabled mobiles for navigation for years now. A smartphone with the right program will do as much and maybe more than a Garmin. Both are computers and what they do depends on what program they are running.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Will it record your track as a GPX tracklog, or is it just positional?
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The alternative is Osmand, that will record your track as a .gpx with the screen off and location on. You can use it as a sat nav too.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
hamster

Post by hamster »

I use Endomondo - it allows a GPX track to be exported.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks guys.
Food for thought.

Now I'm riding two bikes, I don't want to move the Garmin Montana bracket from one bike to another.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/sports- ... 05268.html
I could buy two brackets of course.

If I use my smartphone, it'll be in my back pocket just recording my ride, as I don't want to mount it on the bike. If I really want to see a map and any data, I'd use my Montana. The Montana is fantastic. Big huge bright screen, batteries last all day, it'll take Li or AA. Totally weatherproof, works with thick gloves, and works in the rain and in bright sunshine. Try that with a smartphone.

I'm temped to buy a Garmin Edge 20.
£80 from Millets.
http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/2150 ... puter.html
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:Just thinking the other day, that as my Samsung Galaxy2 has GPS, I could use it for navigation with a downloaded map. I know lots of folk do this ........... as described on here.

When I was on Android I found Backcountry Navigator the best. Nominal change for app and then use free maps (in those days you could download OS mapping via Bing.

Does all the track recording as a gpx, etc. http://backcountrynavigator.com or https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crittermap.backcountrynavigator.license&hl=en_GB

I used to use ViewRanger (Android and iOS) but they've gone all "Social Media" and sharing e.g. one major change to latest release is that when you record a track it is automatically uploaded t their servers (why - I don't want their servers to have my tracks!). So my recommendation is to avoid ViewRanger.

Check that whatever app you go with included mapping with contour lines (so you can get the track altitude plots "tied to ground" rather that fluctuating all over the place with using GPS altitude).

Ian
garibeet

Post by garibeet »

There's oruxmaps too. Most mapping software will track to be honest, usually saving it as a gpx file in the folder of your choosing.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mick F wrote: The Montana is fantastic. Big huge bright screen, batteries last all day, it'll take Li or AA. Totally weatherproof, works with thick gloves, and works in the rain and in bright sunshine. Try that with a smartphone.

Ditto for my Sony experia apart from using it's own battery. Don't use it for recording where I've been though - I already know that.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

locusmaps. Just press record before you set off. There may be simpler apps but that's not what I'm after.

+1 for Sony Zperia phones.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

freeflow wrote:...

-1 for Sony phones. I had one and the OS was so bug ridden after a month of arguments with sony I got a complete refund. Sent them pages of bugs (often complete disasters of bugs) which they ignored.

Many of the bugs really fatal (e.g. roam to a WiFi network without a DHCP server and the IP stack locks-up to the point where when you roam to a Wi-Fi network with a DHCP server the Wi-Fi works fine but the IP stack is still locked-up and your TCP/IP system is "dead". No warnings or anything, get good Wi-Fi signal indication.

They were not interested in fixing it, just in not giving me a refund.

Got there in the end and will never touch a sony phone again. Not only the quality but that the dug their heels in and took the "we got your money so tough" Customer Service attitude really stank.

Ian
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Psamathe wrote:
freeflow wrote:...

-1 for Sony phones. I had one and the OS was so bug ridden after a month of arguments with sony I got a complete refund. Sent them pages of bugs (often complete disasters of bugs) which they ignored.

Many of the bugs really fatal (e.g. roam to a WiFi network without a DHCP server and the IP stack locks-up to the point where when you roam to a Wi-Fi network with a DHCP server the Wi-Fi works fine but the IP stack is still locked-up and your TCP/IP system is "dead". No warnings or anything, get good Wi-Fi signal indication.

They were not interested in fixing it, just in not giving me a refund.

Got there in the end and will never touch a sony phone again. Not only the quality but that the dug their heels in and took the "we got your money so tough" Customer Service attitude really stank.

Ian

Have had several with no problems whatsoever. An Android phone isn't as foolproof as an Iphone though.
Sundaymorningcall

Post by Sundaymorningcall »

Having only just joined the forum I haven't been able to see any information on Strava and cycle computers. So i was wondering if anyone had any advice.
I use strava on my Samsung S5 but on a few occasions it has managed to drop out and not complete the ride, which has caused my phone screen to crack, albeit because i drop kicked it across the room. So, Hoping to save the environment by not getting a replacement phone every month I am looking at buying a cycle computer so I can download my route onto strava.

My question is, what do i need and what is the cheapest as i look at Garmins and cry at the price
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've given up on the idea of using my phone.
The way I see it, I would need a mount, I would need some sort of waterproof cover, it wouldn't work with gloves, and I can't see it in bright sunshine. Plus, I would need to pay for software.

Instead, I've bought a Garmin Edge 20 for £72 from Millets via their website.
Not much of a Garmin, but it comes with a mount, I can see it in the rain and the sunshine, it works with buttons, and it will upload the GPX files into Strava.

http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/2150 ... puter.html

Go via this website and save £8 but you need to get there this month.
http://satnav-discounts.co.uk/gb/produc ... n-edge-20/
Mick F. Cornwall