quill stems

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bigjim

Re: quill stems

Post by bigjim »

The problem I have with quill stems is the choice of handlebar width. You are stuck with narrow traditional bars. I'm more comfortable with 46cm bars. I can only bu ythese with an Ahead fitting so some of my traditional bikes end up with an adapter.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

when you say 46cm, do you meant total width?

These

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebars/380-genetic-heritage-drop-handlebars-260mm-clamp-silver/

are 44cm centre to centre, i.e. 46cm total width. Other bars (eg Nitto Noodles) are wider than the nominal size either because they are also measured centre to centre or because the drops are flared outwards and the bar is measured higher up.

Not my cup of tea but perhaps others know of wider bars that use a 26.0mm clamp?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Not seen those before. But they are £30+p&p. I usually buy 46cm modern bars for about £12 to £15incl on Chain reaction sales [£11.50 at the moment] or ebay. Thanks for the link.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

MikeDee wrote:Threadless is better. Greasing the stem only works for a short time. Sweat gets in there.

You know what you're doing wrong Mike? Don't use grease, use deodorant on your stem - that'll kill the sweat...... :lol:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

pete75 wrote:
MikeDee wrote:Threadless is better. Greasing the stem only works for a short time. Sweat gets in there.

You know what you're doing wrong Mike? Don't use grease, use deodorant on your stem - that'll kill the sweat...... :lol:

Chain L No. 5? Actually, I'm going to use anti seize compound. Grease is overrated.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

I've never had problems with a quill stem and feel that the steering seems more 'pointable' than my other bike which has an aheadset.

Aheadset may be quicker at swapping out bars but the quill is much quicker at adjusting the height.

Maybe an aheadset is lighter? Seems so.
pwa

Post by pwa »

bainbridge wrote:I've never had problems with a quill stem and feel that the steering seems more 'pointable' than my other bike which has an aheadset.

Aheadset may be quicker at swapping out bars but the quill is much quicker at adjusting the height.

Maybe an aheadset is lighter? Seems so.

Weight in that area doesn't bother me, but you have to allow for the extra bit of steerer tube you need with the Aheadset system.