Front rack Tubus Duo, Tara or anything else?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
gloomyandy

Front rack Tubus Duo, Tara or anything else?

Post by gloomyandy »

Hi,
I'm currently trying to decide which front rack to use with my new Genesis Croix de Fer based bike (2016 XS frame):
http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adv ... 5-frameset
My forks are the steel version that have the mid point mounting plus mountings on the drop outs. I like the look of the Duo rack and the lack of hoop will make things a little easier for putting the bike in the car. However I'm not sure if the rack will sit level with my bikes fork and head tube angles. I've been looking at the Tubus web site for dimensions and have been trying to work out how exactly it will fit, but can't get my head round it! Does anyone have this combination, or any thoughts on how these racks compare, or possible alternatives?

Thanks
foxyrider

Re: Front rack Tubus Duo, Tara or anything else?

Post by foxyrider »

Looking at those mounting points you shouldn't have any issue with Tubus racks, they all have some positioning adjustment built in. However out of all of them the Duo has the least adjustment due to the 3 point fixture. I would actually try to get the top bar to sit with a slight (5-10 degree) rearward slope which I find keeps the bags/weight more stable under braking.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
resus1uk

Post by resus1uk »

I have used the Tara rack on my winter trike . Easy to fit as the forks have braze-ons mid-fork. From a triking handling view big loads don't upset the steering
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

After some testing with a scaled printout of the Tubus sizing diagram, I decided to go for the Duo. I've just picked up the parts from Spa and it fits my forks perfectly. Thanks for the help.
DurableAce

Post by DurableAce »

Hi,

I'm sitting here trying to fit a Duo to my new XL 2016 Croix de Fer. I have the Duo that has a sliding range of adjustment, rather than the (I believe slightly older) version with the three hole adjustment.

I'm struggling to get the top of the rack horizontal. Do you have any photos or advice that might help me please?

Thanks in advance.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Duo fits perfectly on my CdF. I have the older Duo and on the upper mount point I used the hole that is towards the rear of the rack. I have the lower mount point bolted to the front mount point on the fork. With this the rack is pretty much level. I'll try and post a picture later!
DurableAce

Post by DurableAce »

Thanks gloomyandy. I think I follow that. A picture would be appreciated if you're able.

Did you manage to get the Tubus bolt spacer into the gap between the outer edge of the fork and the outer rail of the rack? It's part 6 in this diagram:

http://www.tubus.com/documents/14422161 ... 082015.pdf

It seems rather too tight on my bike.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

OK hope this works!
IMG_20160628_184116.jpg

Overall view

IMG_20160628_184130.jpg

Upper attachment

IMG_20160628_184124.jpg

Lower attachment

IMG_20160628_184215.jpg

Brake side

IMG_20160628_190943.jpg

Upper attachment with no spacer.

My Duo only came with two of those spacers (not 4) and the instructions showed the spaces only being used on the lower mount, which is what I did. There was no way I would have been able to get a spacer in the upper mount. The upper mount (with the three holes) is flush with the inside edge of the tube on my rack, if it is not on yours then maybe the extra spacer is needed?
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Oh and as you can see I've added some tubing to the upper part of the rack (14mm so no need for inserts in my pannier clips), and also added inner tube around the bottom of the rack. With this combination my Ortlieb panniers is a very snug fit with no rattles when riding.
DurableAce

Post by DurableAce »

That's great. Thank you ever so much for the photos.

On mine, the rack is away from the fork, so a spacer is a possibility, it's just a bit of a tight squeeze to get the one supplied into the gap. I'll experiment to see whether with or without spacer gives the best outcome.

You've also given me another thought for negotiating the brake caliper by bending the mudguard stay.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Hi, glad it helps. On the mudguard stays I decided to mount mine directly to the fork rather than using the extra mount on the rack because I'm probably going to remove the front rack when using the bike over the winter and I don't want to have to mess around with the mudguards then. It is a little tricky bending the stays around the front brake but it seems to work OK. I decided to only bend the stays on the brake side. I did consider doing both so that they matched but decided that I could live with them not matching!
DurableAce

Post by DurableAce »

I have an approximate 4mm gap to get the 5.5mm supplied spacer into. It'll go, but feels a little too snug with too much outward pressure on the rack. I'm going to fit a smaller make-do spacer of my own, I think.
DurableAce

Post by DurableAce »

gloomyandy wrote:Hi, glad it helps. On the mudguard stays I decided to mount mine directly to the fork rather than using the extra mount on the rack because I'm probably going to remove the front rack when using the bike over the winter and I don't want to have to mess around with the mudguards then. It is a little tricky bending the stays around the front brake but it seems to work OK. I decided to only bend the stays on the brake side. I did consider doing both so that they matched but decided that I could live with them not matching!

I agree with you in not wanting to mess about with the mudguard stays on rack and non-rack trips.
kylescoby

Post by kylescoby »

Hi,
Recently purchased a Croix de Fer 20 and tubus tara low rider rack. Has anyone been to successfully attached the rack the the front forks?
Genesis have added "anything cages" mounting points now onto the model but there is still a central fixing point midway down the fork.

I struggling to attach it at the bottom of the fork where there are 2 fixing points but the QR skewer is in the way.
Has anyone been able to overcome this?

Cheers.
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

I use an allen key skewer which works but I still have to loosen the rack fixings to remove the wheel.

Just tried with a quick release skewer....and no I can't get it to work at all.
Attachments
20230802_083928.jpg
20230802_083950.jpg
20230802_085319.jpg
old fangled