Gravel/adventure bike or MTB?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
reohn2

Re: Gravel/adventure bike or MTB?

Post by reohn2 »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Well, I'm only quoting what I was told! I'm quite impressed if it is about 12kg in its 'bare' state. Mind you, I'm also a bit surprised they sell it like that -- though I suppose it allows people to choose their own racks and guards.

The Salsa Vaya is sold as a tourer/gravel/'any road' bike.It's not what's these days termed as an 'expedition' bike,so not a heavy tourer.
That said IMO it'll handle a four pannier camping load no problem as many tests and reports testify to,here's one:- http://pathlesspedaled.com/2012/12/sals ... surly-lht/

There's only one person on the forum who tours on a Vaya that I'm aware of,and complains that a camping load is too much for it,but having seen photos of his bike loaded I'm not surprised,as all the load is on the rear on a less than solid rack.
I've advised as to where IMO the problem lies,as has a far more experienced touring cyclist than me,but so far haven't had a reply or indication he's done anything about it.

Also, one by for a tourer, really?

Don't understand (?)

EDIT:- another 5000mile report http://milestonerides.com/2014/12/18/20 ... le-review/
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
misterjan

Post by misterjan »

Sorry if this has already been suggested, I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm just building up a Genesis Vagabond for exactly the type of riding the OP is intending to use it for. http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adv ... g/vagabond . The frameset option is a lovely (IMO) purple and can be bought for £280 if you look around. Bargain!

I will be reporting back on another thread once I've taken it for a test ride but with 2.1 tyres and the high front end it's a sort of less extreme and much cheaper option to the Salsa Fargo - much better looking too! It will be more than capable of tackling the local all condition trails around Bristol but quicker and nimbler than a 29er MTB on the road.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

reohn2 wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:Well, I'm only quoting what I was told! I'm quite impressed if it is about 12kg in its 'bare' state. Mind you, I'm also a bit surprised they sell it like that -- though I suppose it allows people to choose their own racks and guards.

The Salsa Vaya is sold as a tourer/gravel/'any road' bike.It's not what's these days termed as an 'expedition' bike,so not a heavy tourer.
That said IMO it'll handle a four pannier camping load no problem as many tests and reports testify to,here's one:- http://pathlesspedaled.com/2012/12/sals ... surly-lht/

There's only one person on the forum who tours on a Vaya that I'm aware of,and complains that a camping load is too much for it,but having seen photos of his bike loaded I'm not surprised,as all the load is on the rear on a less than solid rack.
I've advised as to where IMO the problem lies,as has a far more experienced touring cyclist than me,but so far haven't had a reply or indication he's done anything about it.

Also, one by for a tourer, really?

Don't understand (?)

EDIT:- another 5000mile report http://milestonerides.com/2014/12/18/20 ... le-review/

Those weights etc were for Kona Sutra not a Salsa Vaya.

One by is an MTB term meaning simply a single chainring, usually with a 10 or 11 speed cassette including some pretty huge sprockets, eg 11-40. The link to Kona's site in a post above (I'll find it in a minute) shows the Kona sold with this set up (and no racks either!).
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

This one: http://velonews.competitor.com/bike-rev ... uct_search

Note the 'one by' chainset!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Sorry I thought you were meaning the Vaya.
This is the Sutra I and I think the OP had in mind:- http://www.konaworld.com/sutra.cfm
W H Auden
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Some of us were doing one by seven with a thumbie before it was cool... [emoji6]

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

elPedro666 wrote:Some of us were doing one by seven with a thumbie before it was cool...

I wasn't aware a 1xanything ever was cool :? :wink:
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
elPedro666 wrote:Some of us were doing one by seven with a thumbie before it was cool...

I think we're beyond cool, if indeed I was ever concerned with it (there might have been a week or so, IIRC, likely connected to testosterone and the female of the species, but I soon realised that the more you try the less you are :lol: ) BUT I think I can see the merit for my Whyte hybrid pottering about bike come time to replace the transmission.
Si

Post by Si »

reohn2 wrote:

I think that you'll find that 1x1 is the ultimate in kewl. Hipsterlicious.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Si wrote:I think that you'll find that 1x1 is the ultimate in kewl. Hipsterlicious.

In a two dimensional world possibly :mrgreen:

However to cover any kind of third dimension more is required,with 3x8 being the ultimate Kuhlll,with an Apline 2x9 a close second,1xX has a limited use in anything other than a mild 3rd dimension :wink:
W H Auden
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

reohn2 wrote:Sorry I thought you were meaning the Vaya.
This is the Sutra I and I think the OP had in mind:- http://www.konaworld.com/sutra.cfm

Yep, that's what I think of as a Sutra (and what the guy I saw on Sunday was riding, slight model differences aside). It seems Kona are now making the Sutra in its traditional touring guise and a new "gravel/adventure" guise. I have a suspicion it's more suited to the first.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Bmblbzzz wrote:

Yep, that's what I think of as a Sutra (and what the guy I saw on Sunday was riding, slight model differences aside). It seems Kona are now making the Sutra in its traditional touring guise and a new "gravel/adventure" guise. I have a suspicion it's more suited to the first.

Interestingly, every criticism of the Sutra in its touring guise has been because it tends more towards the latter than the former!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bmblbzzz wrote:

I had a Kona Dew Drop which is an Alu Sutra all but.I liked it a lot but over 60miles it got uncomfortable for my old Arthritic body that I live in and the P2 fork didn't have enough clearance for 35/38mm actual size tyres I was liking,so I fitted an LHT fork,which gave the desired clearance but not the distance/comfort I was looking for,nevertheless I liked the bike a lot and was looking at the Sutra at the time but couldn't buy a frameset only
At the time I was also looking at the Vaya and reading some very encouraging reports mainly from over the pond,then quite by chance a NOS first gen frameset(Salsa had just changed the colour and some minor mods) with a Hope headset fitted,came up on Ebay.
I bought it at a good price,built a pair of wheels and built it as I wanted it.
I used the Kona as a winter bike for a couple of years but after riding the Vaya it lacked so much and felt a bit of dog if I'm honest.I also had a Thorn Audax MK3 that I really liked but found after two years of neglecting riding it sold it to a forum member.
TBH I found I couldn't enjoy riding anything but the Vaya half as much,and still can't quite understand just what magic spell it casts but it hasn't worn off.
Anyway with the cash from the sale of the MK3 I bought another Vaya frameset(Baby Blue) built a pair of wheels,etc,and the rest as they say is history.
You could say I'm as happy as a pig in muck,and I haven't thought of the Sutra since really,in any case there'd be too many positions to get into for an old man,I'm pretty conventional anyway,the 'mission(ary)' position is accomplished,and I'm happy dancing the Salsa,albeit with two tickets to ride :mrgreen:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
Note the 'one by' chainset!

BTW does the Kona remind you of anything,imitation isn't a bad form of flattery I s'pose,but how does it ride :wink:
W H Auden
Trail Beater

Post by Trail Beater »

Anything other than 1X ,is for the weak. :wink:
:P