POLL OF THE WHOLE CLUB PLEASE TAKE PART YOUR VOTE IS IMPORTANT

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
flat tyre

Re: POLL OF THE WHOLE CLUB PLEASE TAKE PART YOUR VOTE IS IMPORTANT

Post by flat tyre »

I first joined CTC nearly 40 years ago, even back then it's image seemed to be dated and associated with blokes with grey beards, sandles and large saddlebags, doesn't seem to be much different now. So, if it truly aims to be a national cycling organisation it definitely needs a change of image, if the rebranding achieves this it's a Good Thing in my view. Fortunately for some of you I didn't notice the voting form in amongst the guff inside the magazine wrapper so it doesn't look like I will be voting.
gaz

Post by gaz »

flat tyre wrote:Fortunately for some of you I didn't notice the voting form in amongst the guff inside the magazine wrapper so it doesn't look like I will be voting.

Your voting details are but a phone call away: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106585&p=1019696#p1019696
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
nigel_s

Post by nigel_s »

flat tyre wrote:I first joined CTC nearly 40 years ago, even back then it's image seemed to be dated and associated with blokes with grey beards, sandles and large saddlebags, doesn't seem to be much different now. So, if it truly aims to be a national cycling organisation it definitely needs a change of image, if the rebranding achieves this it's a Good Thing in my view. ...

My thoughts exactly. Even though I have a grey beard and a saddlebag.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

flat tyre wrote:I first joined CTC nearly 40 years ago, even back then it's image seemed to be dated and associated with blokes with grey beards, sandles and large saddlebags, doesn't seem to be much different now. So, if it truly aims to be a national cycling organisation it definitely needs a change of image, if the rebranding achieves this it's a Good Thing in my view. Fortunately for some of you I didn't notice the voting form in amongst the guff inside the magazine wrapper so it doesn't look like I will be voting.

I don't have a grey beard, wear sandals or have a large saddlebag (and what is wrong with any of those things?) but I do enjoy cycling for pleasure either for a full day or just a couple of hours. The Cyclists' Touring Club used to cater for people like me but not anymore. There seems to be an obsession with many organisations about getting younger people to join. There is nothing wrong with that but don't forget the long serving members who got the 'club' this far. I do not want to be a member of a "charity" that is trying to be a pseudo political force. I ride my bike to escape from the pressures of everyday life and enjoy the outdoors. I want to share that enjoyment with other like minded people - which I can do via this and other forums. I do not need or want "Cycling UK".
Bruce020

Post by Bruce020 »

Hi, Does anybody know when the result of the poll will be announced?

Thanks.

Bruce.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Welcome to the forum.

IIRC the deadline for votes to be cast is 9am on Friday 8 July.

That's when the count of electronic and paper votes can begin. I'd expect the result to be announced shortly after but I don't know whether shortly would be measured in hours or working days.
OurFriend

Post by OurFriend »

Anyone know if the poll on the name change is still open or has it now closed? If the latter does anyone know the result?

It Would almost be worth rejoining to vote, except I am a bit disenchanted with "CUK" in general.

Maybe I am just turning into an old fuddy duddy but it now seems to have about as much (or should that be as little?) to offer me as British Cycling.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

OurFriend wrote:Anyone know if the poll on the name change is still open or has it now closed? If the latter does anyone know the result?

It Would almost be worth rejoining to vote, except I am a bit disenchanted with "CUK" in general.

Maybe I am just turning into an old fuddy duddy but it now seems to have about as much (or should that be as little?) to offer me as British Cycling.

Go to
www.ersvotes.com/cyclingukpoll

Membership Ballot 2016
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
ianmac5

Post by ianmac5 »

Result published in CycleClips: 64% to 36% in favour of retaining the change of brand.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

ianmac5 wrote:Result published in CycleClips: 64% to 36% in favour of retaining the change of brand.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels

So over a third of the membership is not happy with the actions/decisions of the CEO !! Does not bode well for the longer term of the organisation. They need more CUKers (pronounced suckers).

I m very surprised that high a proportion of people voting voted against. I'd expected the usual sort of thing to CUK elections.

Ian
ianmac5

Post by ianmac5 »

About 10,000 voted out of 67,000. But, like Psamathe, I am really surprised at the strength of the opposition.

Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Official notice: Poll of the Whole Club result
The Poll of members called by ex-Councillor Philip Benstead, and published in the June/July issue of ‘Cycle’ magazine, to endorse or overturn the decision of the Council to adopt the trading name of Cycling UK closed today. The result was 6,533 to endorse the decision with 3,694 to overturn. Chair of Council David Cox said: “Thank you to all who took the time to vote. The Cyclists’ Touring Club continues to be the legal name of the charity but with Cycling UK as our new trading name to reach the broadest audience possible. We are extremely proud of the heritage and achievements of the Cyclists’ Touring Club over the last 138 years. Many of our local Member Groups will continue to run their activities under the name Cyclists’ Touring Club as that best describes what they do. For many of our other initiatives in campaigns, off-road and community cycling projects, the name Cycling UK is less prescriptive when promoting the breadth of activities that they do. But together as cyclists we are driven by the passion and enthusiasm of all our members and supporters who make Cycling UK welcoming to all.”

Total for poll = 10,227 that represents 15.26% of the membership
Total for CTC = 3,694 that represents 5.51% of the membership
Total for CTC = 36.12%
Total for CUK = 6,533 that represents 9.75% of the membership
Total for CUK = 63.87%
Last edited by Philip Benstead on 8 Jul 2016, 5:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
honesty

Post by honesty »

Psamathe wrote:
ianmac5 wrote:Result published in CycleClips: 64% to 36% in favour of retaining the change of brand.

So over a third of the membership is not happy with the actions/decisions of the CEO !! Does not bode well for the longer term of the organisation. They need more CUKers (pronounced suckers).

I m very surprised that high a proportion of people voting voted against. I'd expected the usual sort of thing to CUK elections.

Ian

Or to look at it another way 2/3rds are in favour...
gaz

Post by gaz »

honesty wrote:Or to look at it another way 2/3rds are in favour...

+1
Psamathe wrote:So over a third of the membership is not happy with the actions/decisions of the CEO !!

BTW the rebrand was a decision of the elected Council.
Si

Post by Si »

So over a third of the membership is not happy

Incorrect. About 1/20th of the membership voted against the rebrand. About 1/10th voted for. And one might assume that over 4/5ths were not sufficiently worried by the issue to cast a vote.