lightweight shoes for panniers

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
malverncyclist

lightweight shoes for panniers

Post by malverncyclist »

Hi, I am trying to find shoes for use when off the bike on a tour I am going to do. My challenges are ... i have large feet (size 12 or so, depending on brand) and limited space (panniers). I was thinking about espadrilles as I won't be walking far when off the bike (hotel to restaurant/pub/bar and back) but there must be something a bit more durable than "one summer espadrilles" ...? Any suggestions anyone?

Martin
JackRabbitSlims

Re: lightweight shoes for panniers

Post by JackRabbitSlims »

I'm a big fan of Birkenstocks - super comfortable and last for years!

Chaco's are great for sports sandals, but not light at all and don't "Pack Well"

Although I'd never be seen dead in a pair.....Croc's are very popular as a travel shoe.

Flip Flops, Jandals, Thongs - can work out very well.
PH

Post by PH »

Love them or hate them, the most popular option is crocs or one of the imitations.
Light, comfortable, quick drying and you don't need to put them in a pannier, just tie them on top or somewhere else.
I resisted and resisted, now I'm a convert :oops:
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

PH wrote:Love them or hate them, the most popular option is crocs or one of the imitations.
Light, comfortable, quick drying and you don't need to put them in a pannier, just tie them on top or somewhere else.
I resisted and resisted, now I'm a convert :oops:

Me too, very useful.

Leftfield choice, but genuinely useful: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vibram-Fivefin ... efoot+mens
malverncyclist

Post by malverncyclist »

Thanks folks Problem with Birkendstocks and Crocks is that they are HUGE at size 12/13 ... :shock:
PH

Post by PH »

malverncyclist wrote:Thanks folks Problem with Birkendstocks and Crocks is that they are HUGE at size 12/13 ... :shock:

Does that matter?
You're wearing crocs, that's enough...
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

malverncyclist wrote:Thanks folks Problem with Birkendstocks and Crocks is that they are HUGE at size 12/13 ... :shock:

Then go the barefoot shoe route - it's as small as you're going to get a "proper " shoe. I pack a pair in my hand luggage on fishing trips.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Slip on plimsolls will bend to conform in the luggage surely last more than a summer?
I used to carry lightweight toe post beach sandals tied on the outside. Now I change my pedals and use flats and wear whatever I like on my feet.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
JackRabbitSlims

Post by JackRabbitSlims »

Anything you buy will be HUGE at size 12 /13

Strap them to the outside of the Pannier(s).
irc

Post by irc »

New Balance Minimus. My size 13.5s the MT10 model are 460g the pair. (the weight they quote must be a tiny size)

http://www.newbalance.co.uk/men/shoes/r ... ed&width=D
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

Have a look at 'barefoot' shoes (which the above mentioned NB Minimus are), which are shoes lightweight in the sole particularly. Irrespective of any merits (or not) of the barefoot idea, I've used Vivobarefoot shoes and they're pretty durable, light, and bendy for packing in panniers. These days there are lots of companies jumping on the bandwagon, so lots more choice than there used to be.
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

As above, lightweight running shoes are a good bet, worth googling. Try also "aqua shoes". The sn706 for example is cheap and light (£30ish, claims 124g per foot, looks like a Toms slip on plimsol).
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Hi-tec Zuuk shoes are great but seem to be out of production, still available for sale though you will have to hunt for them in your size. I got a pair of size 12 about three months ago from an ebay retailer.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hi-te ... 1&ie=UTF-8
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I gave up carrying evening shoes, and swapped to cycling footwear that was comfortable all the time (SPD sandals, no socks)