ITV4 TDF Commentators Have Changed!

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
pwa

Re: ITV4 TDF Commentators Have Changed!

Post by pwa »

I'm inclined to give the new team of Boulting and Millar a chance to bed in. Paul and Phil had just been at it too long and had nothing fresh to say. And for me there was always the niggling thought that they never seemed to condemn the drugs cheats of years gone by.

Imlach and Boardman work well in a low key way. Both have their own character.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I'd prefer it if Chris was doing the commentary with Ned and Millar was doing the studio analysis with Gary.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

As someone who remembers trying to find any TV coverage of cycling at all in the 1980s and 90s, when apparently hardly anyone was interested in cycling (?) I'm delighted that we older ones and newbies alike are now in a position to be discussing the pros and cons of of not only numerous commentators but alternative channels as well. Not to mention all the races that are now shown. :D

For me, I like David Millar. Ned is OK. Gary and Chris work well in the "studio". Had time for Phil and Paul and wish them well wherever they have gone. Meanwhile over on Eurosport is it me or has Sean's speed of delivery (thankfully) speeded up?

Happy cycling, and viewing.
David
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

No afternoon TDF ITV4 coverage on Freeview but full afternoon coverage on ITV4 Freesat which generally has better quality picture on all channels.

AL
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Isn't it funny that the range of views from people who all like watching the tour is so different!

For me, I like Ned Boulting, but not his commentary. His fill pieces with Boardman in years gone by were always amusing. Can't stand Millar at all. I miss Phil and Paul though. I always enjoyed their work.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

al_yrpal wrote:No afternoon TDF ITV4 coverage on Freeview but full afternoon coverage on ITV4 Freesat which generally has better quality picture on all channels.

AL

Well, I was watching it on ITV4 Freeview.
Si

Post by Si »

They'll never match up to Duffers(RIP)! But on the other hand they'll never be as bad as Porter.

I quite like Millar, knows his stuff, and unlike, say, Roche, you can hear what he's saying. I think though that Harmon is a better straight man than the current guy (Bolting?).

but no, can't beat Duffers and Kelly.......three hours of wines, cheeses and castles with never a word of cycling, then manic screams of "The break, Dave, THE BREAK".

"parts his hair with a chamois", "he's going up and down like a ragman's trumpet", ah, those were the days.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

rualexander wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:No afternoon TDF ITV4 coverage on Freeview but full afternoon coverage on ITV4 Freesat which generally has better quality picture on all channels.

AL

Well, I was watching it on ITV4 Freeview.

Oh! Yesterday there was nothing on ITV4 Freeview here in the afternoon, just a notice that said programmes started later. I will keep am eye on it I thought it was strange?

Exciting finish!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Si

Post by Si »

I watched it all afternoon on ITV4 freeview yesterday and today, although ITV4+1 doesn't start until later. You freeview doesn't come via cable does it?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Si wrote:Duffers....
......"parts his hair with a chamois", "he's going up and down like a ragman's trumpet", ah, those were the days.

Or,"he's like two yard of pump water"

That said Carlton Kirby isn't short of a classic remark or three today,re Fabio Aru, "it's his birthday today,and I'm assured he's the only man who can put out 26 candles on a chocolate log with one blow" abstractly classic and completely unflatteringly funny :mrgreen: .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Si wrote:I watched it all afternoon on ITV4 freeview yesterday and today, although ITV4+1 doesn't start until later. You freeview doesn't come via cable does it?

No, the local Freeview, Newbury Transmitter is via an aerial. I thought it was strange. Sometimes the signal is poor which is why I have Freesat.

Al
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Thank god we got rid of Liggett and Sherwin, Liggett is/was a drug taker apologist and Sherwin was an utter joke of a 'commentator' with his ridiculous over pronunciation of a place name and for the umpteenth time what the local exotic dish or regional produce (insert any old random boring waffle).
Liggett still can't help himself... http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/liggett ... t-cyclist/
So tedious I'd taken to listening to Carlton Kirby but he's another who even after all this time still can't either get the names (or teams) right, still doesn't understand cycling/racing and Kelly has to yet again explain it to him because he's interpreted it wrong again. As for his Kirbyism's...the man needs to expand his vocabulary! :roll:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Come off the fence :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen played a key role in introducing cycling to English-speaking audiences. But they did that well and times changed. In the UK, cycling is no longer a novelty sport. A sizeable portion of the audience now knows something about racing and the participants. The commentary needs to work for this more knowledgeable audience, and Phil and Paul’s commentary doesn’t do that very well.

They had a good run and did a fine job in their time.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Samuel D wrote:Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen played a key role in introducing cycling to English-speaking audiences. But they did that well and times changed. In the UK, cycling is no longer a novelty sport. A sizeable portion of the audience now knows something about racing and the participants. The commentary needs to work for this more knowledgeable audience, and Phil and Paul’s commentary doesn’t do that very well.

They had a good run and did a fine job in their time.

You seem to forget that cycling WAS a massive thing long before either came about, continental cycling was also shown here. if you had put a decently educated commentator into doing the role on the TdF plus any ex pro you would have had the same with maybe less of the 'when i did this and when I did that', Sherwen especially used to trot out every year.
Liggett admittedly was the tech director of the Milk Race BITD but that was already being broadcast to national television in any case and was a big well publicised event which was not the doing of Liggett.

The credit is down to those that decided to broadcast continental cycle racing and continue with the funding to bring it to these shores.
They were a part of it and for a while they were quite good but 'key role', sorry but that's not true, integral role of course but you could put another team of 'commentators' in and it would have made no difference at all to the amount of interest.

Maybe just maybe we would have had some new blood decades ago instead of trotting off the same old crud that put many to just have the sound off or have other commentaries instead, a fair few people I know started listening to Dutch/English commentators.
The same was being said of Hugh Porter on his BBC commentaries and they were right about that too, 10 years too long at least.
Familiarity and sentimentality helps no-one.