NewsWeek overview of Brexit & State of the Union

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

NewsWeek overview of Brexit & State of the Union

Post by mercalia »

by Bill Powell

Can Europe Save itself?

On the morning after the Brexit vote, a dazed Donald Tusk, president of the European Council, a body consisting of the heads of government of the 28 countries in the European Union, was asked to react to the historic vote. Ironically, he quoted Friedrich Nietzsche, the 19th-century philosopher whose work influenced the rise of German militarism that led to two world wars—the conflagrations that the EU was designed to prevent from happening again. “What doesn’t kill you,” Tusk proclaimed, “makes you stronger.”

We are going to see about that now, aren’t we? The European project has faced setbacks in the years since Jean Monnet, the father of unified Europe, started the six-country coal and steel common market in 1951 that eventually evolved into the supranational body that is today’s EU. But never has it faced anything like this.
. . . . . . . etc.

http://europe.newsweek.com/european-uni ... acy-476909
Last edited by Graham on 5 Jul 2016, 8:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: alrge part of copied article removed and link inserted ( copyright )
Trail Beater

Re: NewsWeek overview of Brexit & State of the Union

Post by Trail Beater »

A very good read,and after much disbelief at the faffing about by the Leave Camp,it does restrengthen my belief that I made the right choice.
I was really wavering for a time,after all the upheaval in the present Govt.
francovendee

Re: NewsWeek overview of Brexit & State of the Union

Post by francovendee »

Trail Beater wrote:A very good read,and after much disbelief at the faffing about by the Leave Camp,it does restrengthen my belief that I made the right choice.
I was really wavering for a time,after all the upheaval in the present Govt.

I agree, a good read and I'm sure we'll end up seeing great changes in the EU. Sadly we won't be there to influence it. I really hope the UK makes a great success of leaving the EU but I very much doubt it. Party polytricks will prevent any chance of this happening.