Alternative to Bike Express

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
chalky

Alternative to Bike Express

Post by chalky »

We have travelled with Bike Express on many occasions and have nothing to complain about apart from the long journey to the nearest pick up.
We are in South Shropshire and now don't drive any distance. Apart from taking the bikes on a train is there any other alternative company that offers a similar service to Bike Express but is in the western side of the country. We enjoy cycling the southern part of France, but how to get there?? Flying is not really an option. Had too many problems in the past.
whoof

Re: Alternative to Bike Express

Post by whoof »

If you find someone I would also be interested. I have always flown as there doesn't seem to be an alternative in the West of the country but would prefer not to. Perhaps if enough people made an enquiry Bike Express would start a service from Swansea or Cardiff running along the M4.
horizon

Post by horizon »

chalky wrote: Apart from taking the bikes on a train

It's not a bad option. I did take Bike Express once but we live in Cornwall. Going to southern France just about made sense but south west France is absurd. What we want is a bike bus that goes via Birmingham and then Plymouth (like Cross-Country trains) with a crossing to Roscoff and then covers the west coast of France. But I doubt it will happen.

But Bike Express is quite expensive and getting at least to a port is quite OK by train. Then it's French trains after that.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Yorkshire Bikeliner has done specials, so if enough want a holiday to the same area at the same time.. you could get together?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

I used Megabus last year to get to Toulouse and then back from Barcelona. Excellent and cheap.

Here's the thread I started which has more info....

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=100861&hilit=megabus
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

There's a note on the megabus site that the business has been sold to a german company as of 1/7/16.
https://www.flixbus.co.uk/
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Flixbus charge £7 per bike/journey available on most of their European network.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
whoof

Post by whoof »

b1ke wrote:I used Megabus last year to get to Toulouse and then back from Barcelona. Excellent and cheap.

Here's the thread I started which has more info....

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=100861&hilit=megabus

Thanks for the reminder I had forgotten this. I like the way that on the destination drop down Milan is sandwiched by Middlesborough and Newcastle.