Lon Las Cymru

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
honesty

Lon Las Cymru

Post by honesty »

So last week I cycled Holyhead to Chepstow (and beyond) following the LLC. It was fantastic! Thanks to the members here who gave suggestions in the past they all turned out to be good, well apart from the old coach road which was fun anyway. You can have a look at my blog here http://www.onesti.co.uk/?page_id=118 I've written up my first day and will get round to adding more days and photos in the next few days...
Tail End Charlie

Re: Lon Las Cymru

Post by Tail End Charlie »

Looks like you had a great time. I could do that route every year and not get bored with it.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Yep. great time actually. Would happily do that route again, though may do the leg into Cardiff if I did.

Day 2 has just been published on my blog if you are interested.
PH

Post by PH »

Good stuff, glad you enjoyed it and look forward to reading the report when I have some time.
Having finished in both Cardiff and Chepstow, I much preferred the latter. The Taff Trail is pleasant easy riding, but nothing like as scenic as Gospel Pass and the Usk valley.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Enjoying reading the report! I keep thinking I ought to do LLC again some time...
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
honesty

Post by honesty »

PH wrote:Good stuff, glad you enjoyed it and look forward to reading the report when I have some time.
Having finished in both Cardiff and Chepstow, I much preferred the latter. The Taff Trail is pleasant easy riding, but nothing like as scenic as Gospel Pass and the Usk valley.

Gospel apps is definitely epic, and the Usk valley was really rather nice, expecially when comparedo to what's on the other side of the Severn bridge...

I'll try and write up the next day soon!
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

I did Bangor to Bridgend a few years ago, so I know it's a great ride. In September I'm doing similar to you for the first 2 days, but taking a more westerly track after that, so you have me all enthused about it now.
And I can even say Penrhyndeudraeth :D
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Neilo wrote:I did Bangor to Bridgend a few years ago, so I know it's a great ride. In September I'm doing similar to you for the first 2 days, but taking a more westerly track after that, so you have me all enthused about it now.
And I can even say Penrhyndeudraeth :D

A group of lads I kept on passing and being passed by on day 2 headed off towards Aberystwyth from Machynlleth in the end. Looks a very nice route.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Day 3 - the infamous coach road - is now up. ta :)
honesty

Post by honesty »

Last 2 days up on the blog now :)
whoof

Post by whoof »

After you crossed the M5 from Shirehampton did you go via the 26 route turning right at the bottom of the motorway bridge; that is (or was the last time I rode it) a traffic free and in sections not tarmacked path?
You can go via the 410, when you came down the ramp from the M5 crossing you can continue straight into Pill/Easton in Gordino. Cross the A369 using the now cut-off old section of road and cycle crossing and continue through to Portbury and Clapton-in-Gordino.
honesty

Post by honesty »

whoof wrote:After you crossed the M5 from Shirehampton did you go via the 26 route turning right at the bottom of the motorway bridge; that is (or was the last time I rode it) a traffic free and in sections not tarmacked path?
You can go via the 410, when you came down the ramp from the M5 crossing you can continue straight into Pill/Easton in Gordino. Cross the A369 using the now cut-off old section of road and cycle crossing and continue through to Portbury and Clapton-in-Gordino.

I followed route 4 to Severn Beach, then 41 til over the Avonmouth bridge, then 26 to the footbridge back to Portbury.
captain offensive

Post by captain offensive »

Looks like a good ride. Might have to give it a go. oh hang on - I'm doing that next week! Well Cardiff to Holyhead. Really looking forward to it - want to just get going now! Cheers for the write up - a good read and some interesting bits there (pit stops/diversions) for me to check up on! Cheers
honesty

Post by honesty »

Good luck. I think you'll like it! I was talking to a guy who had just done the Cardiff bit where the 2 trails join. He said do the road by the reservoir not the path. The path is bad.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I've always done it starting from Chepstow and going north, camping near Abergavenny (by the Skirrid Inn), Rhayader, on the Mawdach Trail near Fairbourne, and finally on Anglesey just a few miles from the railway station at Holyhead.

Its a great ride, one I could do again and again. Next time I might spend an extra night at Rhayader and fit in a circuit around Elan valley.