New driving test: next to useless?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
horizon

New driving test: next to useless?

Post by horizon »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... iving-test

So the new driving test requirements will test how to use satnav (why not how to use a mobile phone when driving?) but not how to overtake a cyclist safely. This isn't tested (a) because it isn't defined (AFAIK) and (b) because the tester cannot guarantee a cyclist will appear en route.

Can anyone offer a more reassuring interpretation of the new test?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: New driving test: next to useless?

Post by Mick F »

No, but it's changed immeasurably since I passed mine in 1970. In general, it's a better more thorough test these days.

I'd like to see learner drivers being taught how to reverse.
Yes, they do parallel parking, and reversing round a corner, but how about 100yds in reverse down a winding country lane?

I drive the community bus - a large 16seater - and the number of folk who haven't got a clue how to reverse shocks me ................. but sometimes I'm delighted in the consummate ease some can do it who were not taught, but do it naturally .............. like me! :D

You shouldn't be allowed a driving license unless you can reverse efficiently.

(end of rant)
Mick F. Cornwall
horizon

Post by horizon »

Mick F wrote:No, but it's changed immeasurably since I passed mine in 1970. In general, it's a better more thorough test these days.

AFAIK in relation to cyclists it hasn't changed at all since 1970.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
gaz

Post by gaz »

I don't know how to use a satnav. Will my licence be revoked?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Hav'nt got a satnav. Why not test reading a paper map?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

horizon wrote:
Mick F wrote:No, but it's changed immeasurably since I passed mine in 1970. In general, it's a better more thorough test these days.
AFAIK in relation to cyclists it hasn't changed at all since 1970.
I agree.
Sorry to take this off topic.

Back in My Day, cycling was normal.
People cycled to work because they didn't have a car.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

IMO All cars should be banned from Cornwall..

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
horizon

Post by horizon »

al_yrpal wrote:IMO All cars should be banned from Cornwall..

Al

I would love it! :D :wink:
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

The test HAS improved greatly since the '70s.

There is now a separate thereory test and a "hazard awareness excersise".
Admitedly the latter has a bit of a gameing aspect to it - you have to learn to press a key on a computer when you see a hazard - but not too soon to avoid you just clicking away regardless. This means you nead to practice exactly what the driving instructors regard as a "hazard" and what they don't. But at least it is a start.

I would like to see a test carried out in a driving simulator. This would mean they coud throw all sorts of situations at you - for example guaruntee that at some point on your test you would encounter a cyclist at a pinch point, a child would step out from behind a parked car and so on.

The test has for a while included a section on independent driving - following road signs towards a destination rather than the examiner specifying which turns to make. It only seems sensible to include following sat-nav instructions. And the test DOES include how to use a mobile phone while driving - use one while driveing and you will fail.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Pete Owens wrote:The test HAS improved greatly since the '70s.

In relation to cyclists, AFAIK it hasn't. When my children took their driving tests not too long ago I asked them this and they said that they had been instructed to "watch out for cyclists". On the test, there was no test of this. AFAIK, nothing has changed to date.
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

They teach them to drive and accelerate to fast, there is a big emphasis on keeping the traffic moving. My son failed recently because at a roundabout with a tricky filter lane, where traffic switches at the last minute when it realizes that it's in the wrong lane regularly, he waited to pull out as his instructor had taught him, instead the examiner was sitting next to him saying 'pull out, what are you waiting for, come on come on your holding up the traffic', when my son tried to discuss it when he failed for this he was told 'it would probably have been okay'. The examiner had another go at him for another junction where my son did it by the book also.
I'm not hopeful that the new test will teach them that it's okay to be a calm, patient driver.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Elizabeth_S wrote: My son failed recently because at a roundabout with a tricky filter lane, where traffic switches at the last minute when it realizes that it's in the wrong lane regularly, he waited to pull out as his instructor had taught him, instead the examiner was sitting next to him saying 'pull out, what are you waiting for, come on come on your holding up the traffic', when my son tried to discuss it when he failed for this he was told 'it would probably have been okay'. The examiner had another go at him for another junction where my son did it by the book also.

That is just horrifying. I think you or your son would be justified in making a formal complaint to whatever body it is that supervises / accredits driving examiners.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Elizabeth_S wrote:They teach them to drive and accelerate to fast, there is a big emphasis on keeping the traffic moving. My son failed recently because at a roundabout with a tricky filter lane, where traffic switches at the last minute when it realizes that it's in the wrong lane regularly, he waited to pull out as his instructor had taught him, instead the examiner was sitting next to him saying 'pull out, what are you waiting for, come on come on your holding up the traffic', when my son tried to discuss it when he failed for this he was told 'it would probably have been okay'. The examiner had another go at him for another junction where my son did it by the book also.
I'm not hopeful that the new test will teach them that it's okay to be a calm, patient driver.

Make that 'person' not 'driver'. Driving merely reflects society in general.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I didn't think examiners were supposed to instruct drivers, but then I took my test in 1961. (28mph in 30mph limit.) Since then I have been on driver awareness training, which seems to designed to show how bad at driving we all are, and minibus driver testing/training. However useful points gleaned from those. As one of my schoolmaster's said at the time "If the examiner is not confident in your general ability, then you will fail on some account"
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Pete Owens wrote:I would like to see a test carried out in a driving simulator. This would mean they coud throw all sorts of situations at you - for example guaruntee that at some point on your test you would encounter a cyclist at a pinch point, a child would step out from behind a parked car and so on.
Interesting idea. Pilots are trained on simulators.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.