Hypertension

531colin

Re: Hypertension

Post by 531colin »

531colin wrote:.....Do the GPs actually read the guidelines, or do they just prescribe whatever the last drug company rep. was flogging?

Sorry, I need to choose my words more carefully.
Both of mine (amlodipine and captopril) are "generics"...these are drugs where the patent has run out, and anybody can make them. The GP prescribes by the generic name, its actually the pharmacy which decides who makes the pills you get. I imagine that is the case with the huge majority of stuff prescribed by GPs.
....i should have said "does the GP just prescribe the first thing that comes into his head?"

In the end, I printed out a copy of the Brit. Hyper. Soc. recommendations and took it with me to see the GP, all subtle like!
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

Hypertension is without doubt a funny thing,I had it for years and was perscribed Bendroflumethiazide.Which controlled it .

Then I had bladder cancer, this resulted in my having a major opertation for formation of a neo bladder.My post about that viewtopic.php?f=49&t=92670

Immediatly after the operation my blood pressure was on the low side of normal,as a result no more hypertension no more medication.

Not that I would recommend bladder cancer as a solution
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Bendro... is a diuretic, you know of course.

BP is controlled by adrenal glands on top of kidneys which filter blood to produce urine.

http://www.endocrineweb.com/endocrinolo ... nal-glands
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

99 over 65 now.
Is it my tablets, or is is being relaxed?

It's all a can of worms IMHO.
Mick F. Cornwall
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Mick F wrote:99 over 65 now.

Only you can find out, Mick.
But, as above, your blood pressure is supposed to go up when you are agitated/stressed.
If the only place you are calm is in your favourite chair at home, then those are the only meaningful pressure readings.....except not after a beer, thats a vasodilator.
99 over 65 is low end of normal. if you get 99/65 or thereabouts every day for a week or thereabouts, stop taking your tablets and see what happens to your pressure over a week. If it stays down for a week with no tablets, it wasn't the tablets bringing it down.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

This sounds like a complex one claire. You find cycling is a good for relieving stress while also saying you are currently moving... one of the most stressful times in our lives... which will of course put your B/P up .... it is at time like this that you probably need that cycle ride to have some chill time, more than ever.

Can you do some very gentle flat cycling, and not over stress yourself by going flat out or by climbing some challenging hills. Can you discuss this with your DR., certainly perhaps get a referral.
Of course the other obvious comment would be to start cutting down on your diet and trying to lose some weight, which will hopefully help with your B/P.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
531colin wrote:
Mick F wrote:99 over 65 now.

If the only place you are calm is in your favourite chair at home, then those are the only meaningful pressure readings.....except not after a beer, thats a vasodilator.
99 over 65 is low end of normal. if you get 99/65 or thereabouts every day for a week or thereabouts, stop taking your tablets and see what happens to your pressure over a week. If it stays down for a week with no tablets, it wasn't the tablets bringing it down.

Same time same place every day :!:
Seek medical advise if in doubt, its not a joke.
My BP has in the past dropped to less than 90 / 50......the GP was blas'e at this so I stopped one of my meds and saw another GP who confirmed that was OK.
Reminds me I stopped another med but have not told the docs yet :?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Called in at the health centre today on my way into and out of the village.
I did it three times. The doc had said that when I check it, do the the best out of three.
122/85
137/86
136/88

This compares to prior to being on the Amlopidine.
153/105
157/97
158/99

Both sets sober!
Mick F. Cornwall
531colin

Post by 531colin »

122/85. 137/86. 136/88......are significantly better than

153/105. 157/97. 158/99.....

If those numbers were taken under the same circumstances, ie at the surgery, and the "only" difference was taking the tablets, then the conventional explanation would be that the tablets are working to reduce your blood pressure.

However, 99/65 at home in your chair is good evidence that anxiety at the surgery is putting your pressure up.

If its convenient, why not keep popping in to the surgery and repeating your BP readings, say once a week?
the machine at my GPs records the numbers, and they are far more likely to believe that than my machine at home.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

531colin wrote: ...........However, 99/65 at home in your chair is good evidence that anxiety at the surgery is putting your pressure up.
I reckon there's some truth in that, but it's a pop-in-whilst-you're-passing DIY device just away from the waiting room, so it's not much anxiety.

I think it has more to do with the brisk walk there. Not that walking makes me anxious! It's the exercise putting up the HR and BP.
I suppose I'd be better off taking a book and sitting down for ten minutes before using the machine. Whatever .......... it's just a snap-shot, and if I always use the same method, it will be consistent.

This doesn't help Claire, our OP.
My problems are chicken feed compared to her readings.

Claire.
How are you now?
Mick F. Cornwall
Claireysmurf

Post by Claireysmurf »

My BP has come down and when I am relaxed it is about 135/75 in the evenings.
I took my daughter's friend home by bike today. I did the 1.5 mile return trip pretty briskly this morning and took my BP as soon as I got in - 175/107 with a pulse of 101. Should this be a concern-online stuff suggests the bottom figure shouldn't rise during exercise and whether this is symptoms deeper issues. I really want to get back to pushing hard on a bike.

I also have facial flushing, palpitations and feel exhausted. A change of meds may be on the cards.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Claireysmurf wrote:My BP has come down and when I am relaxed it is about 135/75 in the evenings.
I took my daughter's friend home by bike today. I did the 1.5 mile return trip pretty briskly this morning and took my BP as soon as I got in - 175/107 with a pulse of 101. Should this be a concern-online stuff suggests the bottom figure shouldn't rise during exercise and whether this is symptoms deeper issues. I really want to get back to pushing hard on a bike.

I also have facial flushing, palpitations and feel exhausted. A change of meds may be on the cards.

Back to your GP..PDQ I had palpitations with an ACE inhibitor that didn't suit me.....unpleasant!
Take with you this...https://pathways.nice.org.uk/pathways/hypertension#path=view%3A/pathways/hypertension/treatment-steps-for-hypertension.xml&content=view-index.....Note that both age and ethnicity should govern what medication you are prescribed.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

531colin wrote:
Claireysmurf wrote:

Back to your GP..PDQ I had palpitations with an ACE inhibitor that didn't suit me.....unpleasant!
Take with you this...https://pathways.nice.org.uk/pathways/hypertension#path=view%3A/pathways/hypertension/treatment-steps-for-hypertension.xml&content=view-index.....Note that both age and ethnicity should govern what medication you are prescribed.

Palpitations and exhaustion aren't good :( I hope you get this sorted out quickly.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mrs Mick F went to the doctor with palpitations, and the first thing he said was, "Cut out the coffee!"
She's been on decaffeinated since then, and all the palps have gone.

Claire,
Are you a coffee drinker?
Mick F. Cornwall
Claireysmurf

Post by Claireysmurf »

I've really cut down on coffee.
My cholesterol is 4.5, blood sugar was 4.5 when tested. I am a stress head and overweight
I've just come back from an A&E visit for my partner's boy (broken finger) and my BP is 200/110 medicated.