Shorts

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Dale08

Shorts

Post by Dale08 »

What shorts do recumbent riders use? I like licra but I don't like
The padded insert (useless on a bent) not keen on loose legged shorts
Flying beasties up short leg no thanks
Cheers
Gary
Cyclists Do It Silently
yakdiver

Re: Shorts

Post by yakdiver »

Lycra running shorts or Lycra swimming trunks are OK
mark aldridge

Post by mark aldridge »

I use rowing shorts.
Most are a heavier weight lycra than cycling and running shorts.
They come with a double layer seat for a slight padding effect and increased longevity.
The rowing cut of higher back and lower front is also ideal.
Prices are also reasonable for a supposedly elitist sport.
There are only a few companies who supply them but if you are in the West London area there are a couple of good shops. No doubt there are also sources in the Oxford/Cambridge/Nottingham rowing areas.
Good luck
Dale08

Post by Dale08 »

Thanks for replys will check the running and rowing
Shorts
gary
Cyclists Do It Silently
Loomis

Post by Loomis »

I too use rowing shorts after recommendations from an American recumbent site. I got mine from Rock the Boat,which is a GB shop. They are perfect for me.
jayjay

Post by jayjay »

Trying out running shorts / tights at the moment, good so far though I expect the seat will wear. Whenever I went out in baggier shorts before, I feared one day that an unfriendly insect would find its way up the leg.
I thought the rear pocket zip on some of them would be a problem, but so far not that I can tell.
Built f' comfort.
seldomseen

Post by seldomseen »

I use triathlon bibs, all the fun of cycling bib shorts, but without the pad. Picked up a new de soto pair on ebay for £15 and they are very comfortable.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

I prefer to wear normal, non-cycling-specific shorts. The main reason is that I feel more socially comfortable when I'm mooching around the village/town/event/cafe of my destination. I don't find them uncomfortable on a 'bent (as I would do on an upright).

I haven't ever had the experience of any unwanted bugs finding their way up my leg. But, one drawback is that the pockets are virtually redundant.

Extending the question a little bit. In winter I wear Ron Hill training bottoms. I find them warm, comfortable and (again) not desperately out of place in a pub, cafe or superrmarket.

Even as I write this, I realise just how ridiculous it is to feel out of place just because of one's attire. And how ridiculous it is to be uncomfortable standing out in a crowd. Perhaps I should just get over myself and embrace modern (cycling) fashion and clothing technology.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cycling shorts can be a little more revealing than normal attire, and it can make *others* feel uncomfortable.
I tend to have a pair of more 'normal' shorts with me to put on if I'm off bike.

Personally I use mostly cheap 'compression' underwear bought a size too large - it does the job very nicely. I've a pair of lightweight shorts I wear over them on occasions though.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mark aldridge

Post by mark aldridge »

If you are after normal looking shorts for recumbent use try looking at rock climbing specific ones. They often come in heavy weight cotton or cotton/cordura mixes for sliding around on granite or gritstone. I have a lot of old pairs of North Face A5 shorts that have no rear pockets but a double seat and are refusing to wear out. Try looking at Moon, Prahna, Patagonia and other more hippy/beardy brands.
boozyfruits

Post by boozyfruits »

As a newbie and larger female, so far i have found crop trousers quite good - short enough to not catch in chain, long enough not to be revealing, and comfy for when you reach the pub.
But i'm sure the more serious cyclist will have better ideas, but these work fine for a sunday cyclist. :wink:
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

I prefer longs these days so just go with Ron Hills or if I'm stopping in civilisation then outdoors trousers. You can tuck them in your socks if it's windy.

Btw, OT I know, but did you get a 'bent then Boozyfruits? What did you end up with?
boozyfruits

Post by boozyfruits »

FFTC,
i had an ICE mash up from Kevin Dtek on loan.
He is hopefully sorting me out my own replacement at the moment, but haven't heard from him a a few weeks.
Gone for the ICE adventure HD
So Much Fun!!!
Bx
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

:mrgreen: