May could kick Brexit into the long grass.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: May could kick Brexit into the long grass.

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote: .....Still, $32Bn into the economy isn't to be sniffed at. I know a few people who will have benefited....

Heck we'll have 2 billion to spare after we've spent 30* on Trident :?

*at it's present estimate anyway
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

al_yrpal wrote:As for ARM, a company that needs investment to continue its success. As usual the banksters in tbe City arent coming forward, too busy on their Playstations spread betting and shorting stuff. So, like many other originally British businesses it takes foreign money to back British innovation and design to prosper. Think Jaguar Landrover. I agree its appalling, but, thats the City, full of people with only one god and no imagination whatsoever. The Germans call them locusts.

ARM design chips. Their value is on the patents for the chips they own, armed with those patents it's fairly straightforward for anyone to 'take over' the design. There's no value in the building or infrastructure and not a huge value in the workforce, indeed most of those jobs can be done in Asia for significantly less.
They don't need investment, they don't even make the chips they basically just license the designs. In theory one bloke sat at a computer can do it.

Manufacturers (like Jaguar Landrover) are different. Making physical things they need modern production lines which in order to be efficient can cost 100's of millions plus an accessible workforce (preferably one that's cheap), a lot of space, storage and decent transport options.

ARM is an asset strip.
The promise of jobs is to sweeten the pot and stop people worrying. The cost of keeping them doesn't add much to the final bill. Be interesting to see what happens a few years down the line.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:
ARM is an asset strip.
The promise of jobs is to sweeten the pot and stop people worrying. The cost of keeping them doesn't add much to the final bill. Be interesting to see what happens a few years down the line.

Frankly I'm amazed and amused you need to explain that to anyone.
It stands to reason that if the Japanese can't better a company such as ARM and how much it's cost them to buy it's patents,then it was far better as a UK company rather than a UK based company with it's profits and innovation heading into Japan's economy.
More family silver sold off to the highest bidder.
But hey,that's capitalism and the 'market' :?
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

reohn2 wrote:Al where's yer money invested then that it's getting such good returns?

In 'dog' companies paying a consistently high level of increasing dividends. Unexciting large businesses too big to fail (although some of them have :? ), not the sort of company at which you might possibly make a quick buck. The sort Captain Mainwairing might advise Private Frazer to invest in. :wink: When one goes down, others are up. And in the down ones the top brass soon get replaced and up they go again… 4.1% tax free better than any bank, but you have to keep your nerve like in 2008.

Its a great big International world. Whoever planted that Acorn must be like a cat with the cream… As for the founder presumably at some point he took the money and ran?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

kwackers wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:As for ARM, a company that needs investment to continue its success. As usual the banksters in tbe City arent coming forward, too busy on their Playstations spread betting and shorting stuff. So, like many other originally British businesses it takes foreign money to back British innovation and design to prosper. Think Jaguar Landrover. I agree its appalling, but, thats the City, full of people with only one god and no imagination whatsoever. The Germans call them locusts.

ARM design chips. Their value is on the patents for the chips they own, armed with those patents it's fairly straightforward for anyone to 'take over' the design. There's no value in the building or infrastructure and not a huge value in the workforce, indeed most of those jobs can be done in Asia for significantly less.
They don't need investment, they don't even make the chips they basically just license the designs. In theory one bloke sat at a computer can do it.

Manufacturers (like Jaguar Landrover) are different. Making physical things they need modern production lines which in order to be efficient can cost 100's of millions plus an accessible workforce (preferably one that's cheap), a lot of space, storage and decent transport options.

ARM is an asset strip.

I would agree. Not affected by Brexit. If the purchaser fails to honour their expansion (though who knows what ARM would do with twice the workforce) UK government has a track record of ignoring such broken promises. And even if they are forced to honour the "expansion investment" it is a drop in the ocean of the profits to be made and such "expansions" can very quickly be undone (redundancies, etc.) so it's only a short term cost anyway.

Saw an interview on TV with a couple of the original directors of ARM and they were both strongly against the sale of the company.

Ian
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

'Original Directors' ? Did they sell out?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Al where's yer money invested then that it's getting such good returns?

In 'dog' companies paying a consistently high level of increasing dividends. Unexciting large businesses too big to fail (although some of them have :? ), not the sort of company at which you might possibly make a quick buck. The sort Captain Mainwairing might advise Private Frazer to invest in. :wink: When one goes down, others are up. And in the down ones the top brass soon get replaced and up they go again… 4.1% tax free better than any bank, but you have to keep your nerve like in 2008.

Its a great big International world. Whoever planted that Acorn must be like a cat with the cream… As for the founder presumably at some point he took the money and ran?

Al

Nuff said.....
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I see the Ms May has put herself in charge of the Committee overseeing Brexit. I wonder how much she trusts the 3 stooges.

Ian
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

Psamathe wrote:I see the Ms May has put herself in charge of the Committee overseeing Brexit. I wonder how much she trusts the 3 stooges.

Ian

Far as she could throw Boris...

At least she has 3 egits to blame when it all goes pear shaped. Shrewd move...
pete75

Post by pete75 »

53x13 wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I see the Ms May has put herself in charge of the Committee overseeing Brexit. I wonder how much she trusts the 3 stooges.

Ian

She could throw Boris at least 300 metres with ease - off the top of the Eiffel Tower. His own personal Brexit :lol:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pete75 wrote:
53x13 wrote:

Ian

She could throw Boris at least 300 metres with ease - off the top of the Eiffel Tower. His own personal Brexit :lol:

Just seen the US Press Corps at the Blobby/Kerry Press Conference and they gave him a roasting over his past insults to so many world leaders including his recent one to Obama during the EU Referendum. They also raised his lies... And all he could do was grin, bumble around a bit and put it down to ancient history. The news reporter was suggesting May has been shocked by world reaction to Blobby's appointment - which is worrying as it was pretty predictable and for May to miss that makes you wonder what else she is missing.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:...... The news reporter was suggesting May has been shocked by world reaction to Blobby's appointment - which is worrying as it was pretty predictable and for May to miss that makes you wonder what else she is missing.

Ian

OTOH she could've set him up good style after first giving the various world leaders the gypsy's warning as to what she was about.
It now remains to be seen how much of it he'll stand before he jumps ship.
It couldn't happen to a nicer chap,there's nothing like a public humiliation to heal the wounds the git's caused :mrgreen:
W H Auden
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

:Bumbling might cut it in the city of London, among ones chums.

On the international stage, an ineffectual like Boris is going to take a daily kicking. And this is the public face of Brexit negotiatons. People on here are optimistic about Brexit , but not with good reason..
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I'm not optimistic!! :(
In fact I am growing more pessimistic and sad than I was on the 24th.
So much lost for the sake of so little.

Pound dropped back again -bit of a weak bounce!
Lousy for most of us - good for exporters they say.
Except we dont export much that we make but rather what we buy elsewhere- sort of grocer type exporters.
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:I'm not optimistic!! :(
In fact I am growing more pessimistic and sad than I was on the 24th.
So much lost for the sake of so little.

Pound dropped back again -bit of a weak bounce!
Lousy for most of us - good for exporters they say.
Except we dont export much that we make but rather what we buy elsewhere- sort of grocer type exporters.

And what we do export (cars, computers, bikes) are built with parts sourced from mainly foreign imports, which are about to get 15-30% more expensive when trade talks collapse over freedom of movement.

It's a cluster cuss. As Mr. Fox would say.

Still. I'll enjoy the summer while I can. Barcelona looks a nice place to emigrate to, next year.