Do you think Scotland should hold a second referendum

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Should Scotland hold a second referendum?

Poll ended at 9 Aug 2016, 7:47am

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 19

Paulatic

Re: Do you think Scotland should hold a second referendum

Post by Paulatic »

there should be a power to stamp out pure scaremongering which is so damaging to politics.

Along with lieing and being economical with the truth.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Paulatic wrote:
there should be a power to stamp out pure scaremongering which is so damaging to politics.

Along with lieing and being economical with the truth.

Expose it as it happens........................when a Politician refuses by sidestepping questions, even in the commons the media should end the interview and give reasons, chief speaker should remove the culprit with force.

But we all call those well versed and clever at distracting the main question political people, they pop up as chief exects even heads of police and military.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi there, Can someone please explain to me who the Scotsman was that invented television?
If one is referring to John Logie Baird then I say Poppycock!
His concept of television was nothing remotely like what the first working system was.
His "Electrically Heated Socks" worked though :lol: :lol: :lol: TTFN MM
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

merseymouth wrote:Hi there, Can someone please explain to me who the Scotsman was that invented television?
If one is referring to John Logie Baird then I say Poppycock!
His concept of television was nothing remotely like what the first working system was.
His "Electrically Heated Socks" worked though :lol: :lol: :lol: TTFN MM

John Logie Baird (1888 - 1946) ... John Logie Baird was born on 14 August 1888 in Helensburgh on the west coast of Scotland, the son of a clergyman. On 26 January 1926 he gave the world's first demonstration of true television before 50 scientists in an attic room in central London.

Fixed that for you.

What is the greatest ever English invention?

Sandwiches...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

no
scottg

Post by scottg »

If Scotland can have another referendum, then Wessex, Mercia and Northumbria,
should have a go. Wessex to the EU, Mercia and Northumbria can be free.

Maybe find a descendant of Harald for the reconstituted North Kingdoms.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The sandwich business is bigger than UK agriculture :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi 53, Didn't need the family history of JLB, I wasn't disputing the location of his birth! No, just the claim that he invented television. I think a read of the book called "Eureka", by Edward De Bono, that would set things straight.
A bit like the pneumatic tyre history, common falacy that won't go away. TTFN MM
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

53x13 wrote:......

What is the greatest ever English invention?

wasnt it the square wheel? Hengis Pod or some one according to Carry on Cleo :shock:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

More than 20 years ago, I was at Pitlochry YHA hostel, making breakfast porridge for me, my brother, and a friend we were touring with, and a young woman peeked into my pot, made a face, then paraphrased Samuel Johnson (I think that's who it was), saying, "In England oats feed the horses, but in Scotland they feed the people." She obviously though I was Scottish, so I said in my best John Wayne style drawl, "And in America, we shoot folks that insult our cookin'."

She looked a bit shocked, but a couple of other people in the kitchen had a giggle about it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

This 'invention' thing reminds of when I first visited Edinburgh (and Scotland) when I was about 19. I was somehow shocked with the souvenir shops selling those tea towels with 'When an Englishmen wears a coat, drives on a road, takes a drink' or whatever they all turn out to be Scottish inventions, most of which were half-truths at best. It was my first indication of a certain anti-English sentiment.

A few years later at a leaving do a in England a Scottish colleague presented a map of 'where the English got their asses whupped in 1314'. It was all taken as a big joke even though I don't think three-quarters of the people there had even heard of Bannockburn. I can't imagine the response if an Englishman in Scotland presented a map of Flodden Fields or Culloden saying that's where the Scots 'got their asses whupped'.
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

Ah, you're thinking of Dunlop, that he was the bloke who first patented the pneumatic tyre...?

I'm afraid it was another Scotsman beat him to it:

Dunlop then put pneumatics on both rear wheels of the tricycle. That too rolled better, and Dunlop moved on to larger tyres for a bicycle "with even more startling results."[ He tested that in Cherryvale sports ground, South Belfast, and a patent was granted on 7 December 1888. Unknown to Dunlop another Scot, Robert William Thomson from Stonehaven, had patented a pneumatic tyre in 1847."
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

merseymouth wrote:Hi 53, Didn't need the family history of JLB, I wasn't disputing the location of his birth! No, just the claim that he invented television. I think a read of the book called "Eureka", by Edward De Bono, that would set things straight.
A bit like the pneumatic tyre history, common falacy that won't go away. TTFN MM

He presented the first true television picture in the world on a mechanical device he made himself to the general public in 1926. It was a human face.

The face in question belonged to Daisy Elizabeth Gandy, the business partner of John Logie Baird, the Scottish scientist who is regarded as the inventor of the mechanical television.

What part of 'he did it first' don't you understand?
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

Or maybe:

John Loudon McAdam (was a Scottish engineer and road-builder. He invented a new process, "macadamisation", for building roads with a smooth hard surface, using controlled materials of mixed particle size and predetermined structure, that would be more durable and less muddy than soil-based tracks. That surface was eventually called Tarmacadam, or Tarmac for short.

Eventually that Scottish idea too was usurped by the US cycle manufacturer Specialized, who liked the idea so much they named a bike after it.

Or perhaps :

Alexander Graham Bell (March 3, 1847 – August 2, 1922)[was a Scottish-born scientist, inventor, engineer and innovator who is credited with patenting the first practical telephone.

Or even:

Antibiotics transformed medicine. The discovery of antibiotics began by accident. On the morning of September 3rd, 1928, Professor Alexander Fleming, a Scot, was having a clear up of his cluttered laboratory. Fleming was sorting through a number of glass plates which had previously been coated with staphyloccus bacteria as part of research Fleming was doing. One of the plates had mould on it. The mould was in the shape of a ring and the area around the ring seemed to be free of the bacteria staphyloccus. The mould was penicillium notatum. Fleming had a life long interest in ways of killing off bacteria and he concluded that the bacteria on the plate around the ring had been killed off by some substance that had come from the mould. Thus heralded the discovery of antibiotics.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

While we've sidetracked to famous Scots :D
For me it has to be Thomas Telford, I cycled through his birthplace, Westerkirk, the other day.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info