My new Tern Node 16 24" folder

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
horizon

My new Tern Node 16 24" folder

Post by horizon »

I was pushed into getting a folder by the need to circumvent the new harsher regime on the GWR HSTs this summer and last. I would never have wanted one but needs must. So if I write favourably about a folder then it's words from a sceptic!

When I got my first folder last year from a forum member I was pleasantly surprised. It was a Dahon Vitesse 7 speed. As I've described on other threads, I loaded it with racks front and back, bar bag and lights and took it for hilly rides in our local area and of course on the train. Yes, it was great, so I suppose I was converted. As it turns out the Dahon was too small and I wanted more gears so this year I planned to upgrade. After much soul searching I decided on the Tern Node 16. That's a 24" wheel folder. The competition was an Airnimal (too expensive) or a Tern Link 16 with 20" wheels. The Tern Node from Triton at £523 won.

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/urban-bik ... GwodNiMEgQ

The main points:

It's a brilliant bike. It swallows the luggage (racks back and front with four panniers), it takes a Brooks saddle and VK adaptor thanks to its micro-adjust seatpost. It's big enough for me and the 16 gears (27" to about 103") get me up and down the hills. The larger wheels breeze over the potholes. The ride is stable, smooth, predictable.

Now for the folding: it folds in about 10 seconds. None of the racks, lights, bottle or mudguards impede the fold. And it fits under the GWR HST luggage racks, easily on Cross Country Voyagers and anywhere else it can be tucked away. Obviously it's bigger than a 20" folder but It's OK.

It has been a revelation (and for me a revolution). The jury is still out on its reliability and whether it really will get me on all my trains. But I'm giving it a hard summer of trials and tribulations - it's already been on about 14 trains and a thumping fully loaded run through hilly Dorset. My thought is that I might have been better off with its junior cousin, the Tern Link with 20" wheels: smaller, lighter, even nippier. But that would have been at the cost of a good ride on rough lanes.

The gearing is 8 speed Claris at the rear and a double up front. I don't know why it isn't a triple - is there a technical reason? The Tern Spartan front rack (bought separately) didn't fit so you might have to search for one that does - I used one from an old MTB. That's two small negatives on an otherwise flawless bike - for an aluminium folder that's pretty good!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
kylecycler

Re: My new Tern Node 16 24" folder

Post by kylecycler »

I really like the look of the Tern Node - 24" wheels seem to me to be just the right compromise for a folder - but as I don't use a car or public transport - I just try to cycle everywhere - I'd have no real use for a 'conventional' folder. If I did, though, it's the one I'd go for too. Hope it goes well for you. :)

The Xtracycle Tern Cargo Node, though - aw, man, if I only had to have one bike forever, that might just be the one.

http://www.ternbicycles.com/bikes/471/cargo-node

Practical Cycles stock the Cargo Node in the UK but it costs a fortune, relatively speaking, for me at least, and I would only consider one if someone hit the reset button on my life (I sometimes wish someone would) and I had to start over (meaning, if I only had one bike...).

http://practicalcycles.com/products/313 ... -bike.aspx

Don't know if you'll have seen this, but there's a nice review of the Node on YouTube (I found it a while ago) - very swish... :D

[youtube]QQmVPq7Fo7g[/youtube]

(Sorry about the Americanisms, btw, horizon - aw, man... hit the reset button... start over... - just winding you up! :wink: :lol: )
horizon

Post by horizon »

I love the taking a friend on the Cargo bike - is that legal??!!

Tern also do this bike:

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/urban-bik ... 016-p15353

but I couldn't really see what you would gain for the extra £1000 apart from some unwanted equipment. Yes, there is a better frame and components but they are still limited by what these bikes can really do and so far my Node has done everything asked of it:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Yup, the Eclipse would be like the ultimate folding tourer, or intended to be, but it's hard to see where all the extra money goes, right enough. I figure it's better to take the Node and build it up the way you want it, the way you've done - that way it's unique to you and your needs - you're experienced enough to know what you need and how to equip it. Can't see why the Spartan rack doesn't fit, but sure you'll work something out.

I don't know about it being legal for an adult to ride on the back of the Cargo Node, but you'll see on Tern's website that they discourage riders from even taking children on the back, with no real explanation why. Otherwise, a folding cargo bike makes so much sense, especially for those who live in a flat or with limited storage space. Don't know if it will be a success, don't know if the world is quite ready for it yet, but it certainly rings my bell.
Si

Post by Si »

its junior cousin, the Tern Link with 20" wheels: smaller, lighter, even nippier.

I wouldn't call the Tern Link in standard set up at all nippy! I've one (P24) as have two of my friends....we all find it a bit on the slow side. Although apart from the speed it's a very nice folder.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Si wrote:
its junior cousin, the Tern Link with 20" wheels: smaller, lighter, even nippier.

I wouldn't call the Tern Link in standard set up at all nippy! I've one (P24) as have two of my friends....we all find it a bit on the slow side. Although apart from the speed it's a very nice folder.

I think the nippiness comes from the smaller wheels - it's more manoeuvrable. Great on pavements ( :shock: ) but on the open road, no I would never call a folder nippy in that respect - give me larger wheels every time. And don't forget that all my favourable comments are based on the precondition that neither folder is as bad as I thought it would be!
Zanda

Post by Zanda »

I think 24" wheels are a good compromise between 'small package' and natural shock absorbtion. No accident that the Airnimal uses them. This is the sweet spot.

Sure, you can get smaller folding bikes, by choosing smaller wheels, but they're not happy on potholed roads. So some bike makers add suspension, which adds weight and complexity.

Sure, a 700c bike would be more comfortable, but you've then got a large object to lift into your carriage train.

If I were buying a folding bike suitable for all-day riding, I'd choose this or the Dahon 24incher.
Si

Post by Si »

******thread resurrection alert********

Thinking of swapping my link for a node d8. Would be interested in hearing how you've got on with yours since your initial post, Horizon, and from anyone else who has used them.

Reason for swap.....just finding the link too slow when doing any distance. Used to have an airnimal with 24 inch wheels.....it was nice and quick but folding was more of a hassle.
horizon

Post by horizon »

So, nearly four years later ...

Well little has changed. I lowered the gears (back and front) at the end of last year and although I have really yet to put them to the test, it worked a treat. I also have studded tyres for it but have never used them. In all this time and dozens of trains (including the dreaded IETs) I have never had an issue with it being accepted as a folder on a train.

I also started a thread on whether an alu folder would withstand camping loads (Brucey thought not).

But what has also happened is that Tern seem to have discontinued the Link and Node 16 gears - what a shame. This is the key thing IMV that makes them useful bikes.

So would I buy it again? Yes, because it has been brilliant but remember I only bought it to go on the train. But would I buy a Link D16 if they still produced them: possibly because then you have a real folder. I don't reckon I would get my Node on buses and coaches. And would I buy a Link D8? No, because for me the gears are crucial. CH White do this bike:

https://foldingbike.biz/epages/7665e38c ... ED18CUSTOM

I still think a folder is a folder: it is small wheels that make them fold. The Node is great but it is at the outer limit of what I would call a folder - this is what makes it good.
Si

Post by Si »

Thanks for that! Yes, I was thinking of retro fitting a double at the front if I got one. Good to know you've had no trouble on trains....my airnimal was ok on them too but it was more of a pain to fold as you have to take the front wheel off.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Si: may I ask how you might have been intending to retrofit the front mech and gears? The Node 16 has a braze-on mech. I don't know at this stage if there are any other issues. Changing the chainset was easy on my Node 16 (in the end) as the double was already there. But starting from scrtach may be different. Any ideas?

Funnily enough, we seem to be going in opposite directions on these bikes. I want a Link (20" wheels) to take on local buses, you want a Node (24" wheels) for faster riding. But we both want 16 gears.
Si

Post by Si »

I was hoping to be able to bodge the mech onto the seat tube, failing that I would have used a BB mounted mech.

My link has 24 gears....so if you fancied a swap.....
horizon

Post by horizon »

Leaving aside for one moment the idea of a swap (!), this thread discusses the gear fitting:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=135795

I've ordered the part and on the face of it, it should be straightforward. There must be thousands of people who have folders who want more gears (and millions who don't ...).