Rides From Hunstanton

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
iainb

Rides From Hunstanton

Post by iainb »

Hi folks

Going to Hunstanton, Norfolk next week, can anyone recommend some rides of about 20 - 30 miles from there on quiet roads.

Thanks and regards

Iain
fastpedaller

Re: Rides From Hunstanton

Post by fastpedaller »

Little Walsingham is a nice stop - Avoid the main coast road (very busy). Head out via ringstead, and Burnham Market (busy with holiday makers but generally ok) then Burnham Thorpe (Nelson's birthplace) and near New holkham head S to Little Walsingham. LW is a "religious village" similar to Cartmel in the lake district. I can recommend the Norton Cafe for good quality at reasonable prices. If you keep away from the coast road there are many little, traffic free lanes with beautiful villages, however the eateries are few and far between if straying from the coast. Hope you have a good holiday.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Quite a few rides. My sister in law has a caravan at Heacham and we stay there quite often. There's a lovely network of quiet lanes criss-crossing the area.

Head inland to Docking and then to Burnham Market and Burnham Thorpe. You can do a bit of a loop round and end up at Wells, where there are a few nice tea shops. You can also cycle through the grounds of Holkham Hall.

Head to Docking or Sedgford then south to Great Bircham and Anmer and then into the Sandringham estate. You can return via Dersingham, Shernborne and Fring.

Little and Great Walsingham are religious centres, but there's some interesting things to see and tea shop in Great Walsingham at the Refectory.

If you fancy going a bit further, you can head down to Castle Acre near Swaffham (another nice tea shop).

The thing to remember is to try to stay off the main roads, particularly the A149 between Kings Lynn and Hunstanton. Not too bad after Hunstanton, but not as nice as the little lanes.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Don't miss the Crab Hut at Brancaster Staithe
If you like sea food that is :D
After following the example of locals I had The Special mmmmm made my holiday complete.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm green with envy as I write this. Within my embarassingly high post count, there are several occasions when somebody has asked for recommendations for somehwere to go cycling and Norfolk, especially this bit, has always topped my list. I have based that on numerous holidays in the area.

I'd endorse what's been posted already especially about the A 149.

I'm not clear about what type of riding you want to do, because, with the proviso about the A 149, I'd defy anybody to find a minor road there that in't great for cycling. What surprised me on my first visit was how many of the roads are single-track with passing places. Elsewhere, that's something I associate with hilly areas, but it's almost universal in North Norfolk. I'd recommend getting an OS map and studying the amazing network of yellow roads.

If you want some sightseeing/ history of England, this is it. You don't need any religious faith to notice how the church has been fundamental in the history of this part of the world. eg Reepham once had three parish churches built adjoining each other, two of which remain.

There are NCN routes in the area including the NCN 1 which takes you from Hunstanton to Burnham Market and beyond. (Be aware that it avoids the centre of Burnham Market - the only reason for going there - with round-the-back diversions.) On the subject of Burnham Market, for many years it's been popular with wealthy second-homers etc., and my local informants report that this has got much worse since Kate Middleton AKA HRH The Duchess of Cambridge has been spotted shopping there. (The Cambridges live at Anmer on the Sandringham estate.) I'm not much into sustrans routes but another takes you through Burnham Thorpe (already mentioned) Not much to differentiate it from neighbouring villages, but the charch is worth a visit if you are interested in that sort of history. Nelson's father was the vicar. The war memorial commemorates nine men five from one war and four from the other, IIRC. Most share a couple of surnames.

Continue on that road and you reach the rear entrance to Holkham Hall - arguable the cradle of the agricultural revolution which complemented the industrial revolution. (On the theme of the dangers of the A 149, one of the worst SMIDSY'S I have ever witnessed was outside the front gates when a stationary driver suddenly started off and turned right, right into the path of a serious rider who saved me from the sight of blood and himself from serious injury by performing a skilful manoeuvre.)

If you want to get to anywhere on the coast eg beautiful beaches, or perhaps a recommended pub, I'd suggest using the NCR 1 and then dropping down to the coast at right-angles.

Be aware that the local stone is flint - you could not miss it on the bulidings - but although I don't ever remember a puncture there (that could be rose-tinted memories) I've met others who have. I got talking to a young couple on a tandem who turned out to live quite local to me and they'd had some real puncture trouble, so be prepared.

I could witter on. Enjoy your cycling!
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

As I now live in north Norfolk I feel "qualified" to agree it has some great lanes for cycling. The recommendation above of an OS map, I concur. The crucial thing with route planning is to cross the main roads (rather than have to go along them at all), and some of both A and B roads are MAJOR routes. As has been mentioned Norfolk has a huge number of churches (more per square mile than anywhere I understand), and strangely, given its relatively low population now, It was one of the more heavily populated areas during the early agricultural days. It is said that only London was more heavily populated. Norfolk had a huge agricultural industry and allied woolen industry (which paid for the churches!). Worstead (small village in North Norfolk) gave it's name to heavy Worstead cloth which is known throughout the World, lesser so Walsham cloth (lighter weave for Summer) after nearby North Walsham.
If riding in the County, an interesting diversion is to "discover" the 'lost villages' of which there are over 100, generally the only remaining evidence is a lonely church hidden in the middle of a wood! One such lost village is Little Ringstead near Hunstanton, and the site is accessible across Ringstead downs and farm tracks - The remaining church ruins are on private land, but easily visible from a track (no trees around this one).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I was thinking of visiting that area but thinking of some wild/stealth camping. any opinions?
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I have the Goldeneye cycling map of Norfolk. Certainly worth buying for route planning if you can get hold of it before you go.

Can't help with places to camp, though there are lots of tracks leading off into the salt marshes next to the sea, where I imagine you could camp without being disturbed. Or even camp on one of the more remote beaches.

Also, the Fatbirds Don't Fly bike shop is in Hunstanton. It's worth a visit.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Burnham Thorpe has a pub (Lord Nelson) with no bar!

Beer is served from a traditional Taproom

Worth the detour for the unique experience
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Over the years I have had a number of most enjoyable cycle "tours" of North Coasts (and Central) Norfolk. It is a great place to visit by bike. Wonderful cycling, especially if like me you are not into climbing Alps, or too many Peaks... At Easter I was back on the Quiet Lanes again near Cromer :D

I have based a good number of these trips on the maps available for download from the Norfolk Coast website, - originally purchased some years ago as a hard copy from the Tourist Information in Sheringham.

http://www.norfolkcoastaonb.org.uk/part ... egend/1116

A truly great set of guides and recommended routes. The Ringstead loop includes Hunstanton, but can be "bolted on" to adjacent rides in the series.

Happy cycling.
iainb

Post by iainb »

Hi folks

Off tomorrow! Thanks very much for the input, I've made some notes and found the OS map which I knew I had somewhere! I'll let you know how we get on.

Regards

Iain
iainb

Post by iainb »

Hi folks

Just to confirm what a nice area it is for cycling once you get away from the main coast road. Nice quiet lanes with some pleasant undulating countryside. Thirdcrank - i see what you mean about Burnham Market being popular with wealthy second homeowners we made the mistake of stopping for a coffee and got charged £7 for 2, didn't even get a biccie with it. It was very busy, maybe Wills and Kate were in town!!

Thanks again to all