Tipper crash in Bath

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
hondated

Re: Tipper crash in Bath

Post by hondated »

Vorpal wrote:A third person has been charged. All three are due to appear in court on the 1st July

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-36498348

Thanks for the update Vorpal I still feel for all those involved we lost their loved ones and wasn't she a gorgeous looking little girl.
Its also sad that those relatives will now have to go through the pain of having to sit and listen to why and how they lost their loved ones.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

hondated wrote:
Vorpal wrote:A third person has been charged. All three are due to appear in court on the 1st July

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-36498348

Thanks for the update Vorpal I still feel for all those involved we lost their loved ones and wasn't she a gorgeous looking little girl.
Its also sad that those relatives will now have to go through the pain of having to sit and listen to why and how they lost their loved ones.

+1
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Stumbled across it:

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/driver-c ... z4DFVVncub
The truck driver is applying to have the charges against him dismissed.
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

DaveP wrote:Stumbled across it:

Cause it wasn't his fault he drove down Lansdown Lane which has a 6 foot width restriction and depending on which direction he came from there is a sign saying 'Unsuitable for heavy goods vehicles'
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Redvee wrote:

Cause it wasn't his fault he drove down Lansdown Lane which has a 6 foot width restriction and depending on which direction he came from there is a sign saying 'Unsuitable for heavy goods vehicles'

We don't know, but I would speculate that it is based upon two or three things:
-the third person arrested is a mechanic, and at the time of the accident, it was widely reported that the brakes appeared to have failed
-he was said to be following another driver, or two other drivers, including his boss
-the sign at the top may have been missing or damaged
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Vorpal wrote:
Redvee wrote:

We don't know, but I would speculate that it is based upon two or three things:
-the third person arrested is a mechanic, and at the time of the accident, it was widely reported that the brakes appeared to have failed
-he was said to be following another driver, or two other drivers, including his boss
-the sign at the top may have been missing or damaged

He's the driver, it's down to him to ensure his vehicle is roadworthy, he's the driver, ignoring signage directing you that a road is unsuitable is his resoponsibility alone, he's the driver, saying "I was just following orders" is never an excuse, or it bloody well should never be as in many, many cases courts have dismissed negliegence such as that previously, most notably at the Nuremburg trials.
jezer

Post by jezer »

Even if the sign was missing, they were locals so would have known the steep hill was unsuitable for heavy vehicles.
Power to the pedals
Heltor Chasca

Tipper crash in Bath

Post by Heltor Chasca »

jezer wrote:Even if the sign was missing, they were locals so would have known the steep hill was unsuitable for heavy vehicles.

Bang on. These people are skum who can't bear to take the consequences of their actions. I'm local to Bath and I understand fully their attitude. There's something very juvenile about local men around here. Lots are crawling with insecurities. I don't understand it. I'm sure it's not a unique demographic.

They should stand in that dock like real men and take the punishment they fully deserve.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I'm sure that all of that is true. I'm not sure that at 19, I could have said 'no' to my boss. And it may very well be something that he had seen him do before, done before, or knew about the practice of using that road. It may never even have occurred to him that there was anything wrong with driving down it, despite the restrictions.

Many many drivers overestimate their capability to deal with adverse circumstances, problems, etc.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Vorpal wrote: I'm not sure that at 19, I could have said 'no' to my boss.

I agree and that's why a few more people should be in the dock like those at the Department for Transport who allow 19 year olds to drive tipper trucks. If he was properly trained, properly experienced and properly tested this accident may not have happened. If he was indeed properly trained, properly experienced and properly tested then he must accept responsibility - we cannot have it both ways. Two years' driving experience (at the most) isn't enough at that age - we have seen the result.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

horizon wrote:
Vorpal wrote: I'm not sure that at 19, I could have said 'no' to my boss.

I agree and that's why a few more people should be in the dock like those at the Department for Transport who allow 19 year olds to drive tipper trucks. If he was properly trained, properly experienced and properly tested this accident may not have happened. If he was indeed properly trained, properly experienced and properly tested then he must accept responsibility - we cannot have it both ways. Two years' driving experience (at the most) isn't enough at that age - we have seen the result.

+1
19 is to young and too inexperienced to be driving HGV's and similarly so huge and powerful tractors and trailers being driven by young men of the same age.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

As far as I'm aware it's illegal to drive a HGV at 19. It was always 21 [unless in the Armed Forces]and also virtually impossible to do so at 21, as insurance was not available to anybody under 25.
mjr

Post by mjr »

bigjim wrote:As far as I'm aware it's illegal to drive a HGV at 19. It was always 21 [unless in the Armed Forces]and also virtually impossible to do so at 21, as insurance was not available to anybody under 25.

The tipper truck was an LGV and you can take that test from 18, according to http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-31454693 - which also says the driver had experience with farm vehicles so might have been driving big things for years, although that wouldn't be on-road experience.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

mjr wrote:
bigjim wrote:As far as I'm aware it's illegal to drive a HGV at 19. It was always 21 [unless in the Armed Forces]and also virtually impossible to do so at 21, as insurance was not available to anybody under 25.

The tipper truck was an LGV and you can take that test from 18, according to http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-31454693 - which also says the driver had experience with farm vehicles so might have been driving big things for years, although that wouldn't be on-road experience.

HGV is LGV. Govenment lowered the age to 18 in 2009 because of a percieved shortage of drivers. However. I quote-
"The government has changed the rules again and from 19th January next year (2013) you will have to be 21 to drive an LGV."