Bikepacking on Countryfile!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
al_yrpal

Bikepacking on Countryfile!

Post by al_yrpal »

Yes, a sort of touring on BBCs Countryfile - 'Bikepacking'. A MTB, a tarp on the handlebars, a pack of stuff under the saddle, perhaps a frame bag. An American import?

We know what happened with the Tour won by Bradley, the Olympics, Chris and Marks successes, a lycra clad explosion on tbe roads, many encouraged to venture onto two wheels with pedal power for the first time since childhood. Triathlons, Audax style events etc. Cyclings' cool . 8)

Bikepacking could be a new way into touring, it looks cool, wild camping sounds cool. Will promoting Bikepacking enthuse the younger lycra set. After all us grizzled, pannier laden dyed in wool cycle tourists generally dont look cool at all. :?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
foxyrider

Re: Bikepacking on Countryfile!

Post by foxyrider »

The idyllic view of the past time shown really won't encourage anyone to take it up - a) none of the trendies watch it and b) sleeping under that scrappy bit of nylon sheet looks well dodgy, where's the shower/toilet/bed?

We aren't all aged and grizzled that tour - some of us are quite handsome - lol! :lol: we even wear clean clothing and don't have beards.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Si

Post by Si »

Bikepacking has been around for ages, the only thing that's changed is that someone has realised that you can make money out of it by selling purpose made kit and bikes!

Let's face it, go back say 120 years and a lot of 'normal' cycle camping would have been very much like 'bikepacking' but without the hi-tech materials.

And MTBers have been riding off up the moors with minimal kit for nights under the stars since the late 80s / early 90s.

But if it gets more people cycling then: great.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

What is the difference between bikepacking and old fashioned cycle camping?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Met an old fella who got into MTB off road touring after his knees got too past it for backpacking on.foot. He tied and bungee corded everything onto his bike. Including an old crt tv with battery!

I also saw someone touring with an old fashioned bedroll tied to his bars and a large Carradice saddle bag plus bits tied onto his bike at various places. It looked like an old fashioned bikepacker. Just like photos from the 20s or 30s I think.

It's not new folks, it's not cool or trendy just it's something for a marketeer to hang a larger price tag on. Why not just strap or bungee your dry bag to the bars? You really need £80 of fancy dry bag with built in straps? No! Same with seat pack, saddlebags by any other name. Frame bags might be new but I've seen people strap stuff to top tube since I was a kid in the 70s or 80s. My dad used to take his allotment tools by strapping to the top tube then riding the couple of miles to the allotment. Same principle just not fancy bikepacking kit,
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Mike Sales wrote:What is the difference between bikepacking and old fashioned cycle camping?

less stuff. I saw the programme and it looked good- a nice advert for what we do I thought. I'd be interested to see what their packing list looked like!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Tarp camping is a good way to go. Used.to do it wildcamping but carrying things on my back walking not bikepacking. I got into it because I'm 6'5" tall and couldn't afford a light tent that was long enough for me. That would have been the Hilleberg atko. Even back when one retailer actually sold it for less than half the price it is now I couldn't afford it.

So I went single skin tent then tarp and bivvy. Well it couldn't be as damp with condensation as a single skin tent.

I've had good night's sleep in storms in the lakes. Including storms that were flattening an atko. You get close to nature in a way you can't with tents IMHO. Very liberating.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

MrsHJ wrote:less stuff.

I must have been "bikepacking" forty years ago, though I thought it was just ordinary cycle camping! People were doing minimal camping a long time before me. Have a look at the illustrations in Round the World on a Wheel" by John Foster Fraser. Possibly the first round the world trip, on an ordinary. He did not have a great deal strapped to his bike.
I remember seeing an fairly normal organised ride advertised as a "Bike hike". Does cycling have to be repackaged every so often? Like the CTC itself I suppose.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Mike Sales wrote:
MrsHJ wrote:less stuff.

I must have been "bikepacking" forty years ago, though I thought it was just ordinary cycle camping! People were doing minimal camping a long time before me. Have a look at the illustrations in Round the World on a Wheel" by John Foster Fraser. Possibly the first round the world trip, on an ordinary. He did not have a great deal strapped to his bike.
I remember seeing an fairly normal organised ride advertised as a "Bike hike". Does cycling have to be repackaged every so often? Like the CTC itself I suppose.

I was pretty envious having spent my day packing up for our tour and I couldn't believe the weight of what I've packed. Admittedy junior can't carry as much stuff as me (but he takes his own clothes, bag, mat and the electronics- he uses it, he carries it principle). Pretty sure I need to pare back again but I'm not sure where- it's taking the damned helinox chair that's making a volume difference but I think my body is too battered to take sitting on the ground for a fortnight. I'm thinking naked cycling or just going smelly with no change of clothes and no wash kit.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

MrsHJ wrote:I'm thinking naked cycling or just going smelly with no change of clothes and no wash kit.

On one return journey across the Channel I stayed on deck so as not to inflict my smell on the civilised passengers.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Mike Sales wrote:
MrsHJ wrote:I'm thinking naked cycling or just going smelly with no change of clothes and no wash kit.

On one return journey across the Channel I stayed on deck so as not to inflict my smell on the civilised passengers.

That's just dirty!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

I've been 'bikepacking' for several years. I chose the method of packing because I tend to tour off road and because it's much lighter than using panniers. I made my first frame bag from a piece of leftover material and an old jacket. If you don't have the space to carry stuff you don't bring it and most of the time you probably don't need it anyway.
Last weekend, I went to the Isle of Wight with my minimal kit and while waiting to get on the ferry, my boyfriend and I met a young couple who were travelling around the island on their bikes for two nights. He had an 80 litre rucksack with a 25l daybag attached and she had two panniers and a small rucksack. I felt exhausted just looking at them. Apparently, he had a duvet in the bag!