Lightweight, robust waterproof jacket for touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ehelifecycle

Re: Lightweight, robust waterproof jacket for touring

Post by ehelifecycle »

gloomyandy wrote:
ehelifecycle wrote:Hi

here is the answer one of these

vents on the sides and down the arms

no make, cost £10. Although you will tell me it's not very breathable it is 100% waterproof and can be vented with front zip and mesh areas down the sides and under arms. It can be washed any way you like. So glad I didn't take my Montane featherlite or my bulky gortex jacket, when as you all know I just cycles the west of ireland and it rained all day every day, thank imaginary person in the sky that I had this. Perfect

May just be me but I can only see a sort of "no entry" sign rather than the image. Any chance of providing details of what this image is of?

Thanks!

is this any better
ehelifecycle

Post by ehelifecycle »

pjclinch wrote:
gloomyandy wrote:May just be me but I can only see a sort of "no entry" sign rather than the image.

It's not just you...

hopefully the image is viewable please let me know
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Still only see the "no entry" sign in your original post.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Still see no entry sign in the above post. However if I click on the link I can see the jacket!

Do you have any sort of link as to where it is possible to buy this jacket? I've not had much luck with the high tech fabric versions, perhaps this is a better solution for wet Scottish tours?

Now does anyone have a way to avoid water running down your legs and ending up in your shoes? Or a pair of cycling shoes that don't soak up water or that will dry very fast. I know a lot of people like sandals but I'm not really a fan, often not very warm when I'm out on the bike and I hate having cold feet!
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Never tried it myself but some people recommend waterproof socks with sandals in the wet which keeps the feet warm but still wet. I have used sealskinz in cycling shoes. Still wet but warmer than other socks.
mjr

Post by mjr »

avoid water running down your legs and ending up in your shoes by clipping your trousers outside your shoes or overshoes. Only the best option when it's cold enough for waterproof trousers, IMO. Otherwise, I wear reasonably water resistant shoes and warm socks and try to wait or stop if it pelts it down.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Lightweight, robust waterproof jacket for touring. Wouldn't we all like one?
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West