photography pannier

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nez

photography pannier

Post by nez »

I'm cycling round the Essex/Suffolk border taking landscape photos. I've figured out that drainpipe will preserve my tripod, now I'm looking for a material to line a side pannier with, prior to installing one of those 'photo bag liners' you can get on eBay. I don't want to rely on the liner just itself, I want to put something robust which would absorb a knock from the outside. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions for material? BTW I don't want to use a bar bag for the camera - it's too big. Best thought so far is some of that dense foam sleeping mat. Suggestions gratefully received.
al_yrpal

Re: photography pannier

Post by al_yrpal »

A few opened egg boxes stuck to a piece of cardboard? A few old tee sirts in tbe bottom. Padded envelopes. A shopping bag with twists of screwed up newspaper surrounding it inside the pannier.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

If you are installing padded liners as well then I would think that some pieces of Correx board would add enough extra reinforcement.
nez

Post by nez »

al_yrpal wrote:A few opened egg boxes stuck to a piece of cardboard? A few old tee sirts in tbe bottom. Padded envelopes. A shopping bag with twists of screwed up newspaper surrounding it inside the pannier.

Al

I expect your vest pocket Kodak b is in tip top condition.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

No idea about best material but there are a massive range of various densities of foam. Try visiting/phoning a local foam supplier. I used one last year for a completely unrelated requirement and was surprised at the range for normal/soft through to some quite dense foams (almost rubber). In my case they cut them into a specific complex shape using different density foams for different parts of the protection. And despite it taking them more than an hour I ended up being asked for only a few quid (based on the cost of the foam!!).

Ian
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I have a Suburban Disguise 5 for my SLR https://www.thinktankphoto.com/products ... disguise-5 My tiny Panasonic LF1 goes in a snug Lowepro Santiago 20 hardcase on my belt. When wandering about pickpocket infested areas it also contains a credit card and a folded banknote. Either and any lens cases would easily go in a pannier. Decent cases for expensive equipment makes good sense.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
nez

Post by nez »

I never knew that stuff was called correx board. Some of that and some foam looks like it would work well. Thanks all!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The other thought is to make your own by converting another design to a pannier

It is possible to pick up the fittings for panniers... for instance Ghyllside Cycles can provide the Ortlieb ones

After that do what you want.

A proper "case" can be fitted with these and then on to the rack

Some years ago I successfully converted a Pelicase into a pannier,and also a cheap aluminium case
Pyranha

Post by Pyranha »

My wife has a rack pack with a piece of foam on the bottom for cushioning, and a partition (from another bag) velcroed inside. Hers is a Topeak one, which has fairly rigid sides. As this is on top of the rack it is in a slightly less exposed place than a pannier. She can get a full size SLR, a spare lens and a few other bits in it.
freiston

Post by freiston »

nez dans le guidon wrote:...BTW I don't want to use a bar bag for the camera - it's too big.

How big is your camera? I have a Canon 50D and with a Tamron 17-50mm lens with hood on 'the proper way round', it fits into my barbag with plenty of room to spare - I would easily fit it in even with a battery grip fitted. The bar bag is the whopping Axiom Barkeep DLX 16 Litre Bar Bag though ;)

edit 1: That bar bag is padded and insulated and the mounting bracket affords some 'suspension'.

edit 2: If you change your mind or have second thoughts about a bar bag - here's a write up of it with pictures: http://fatbikerepublic.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... ccess.html
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
nez

Post by nez »

Thanks for that thought. I use several including a modern dslr, but I want to be able to carry my mamiya7ii or a field camera

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I've just been looking at Pelicase prices. Very reasonable - until you reach the sort of size that would comfortably contain a DSLR and a couple of lenses. I'm now thinking that I could use a lower quality rigid case inside a pannier with a waterproof liner.
I do feel drawn towards a well fitted foam cut out!

That sort of approach is fine for a photographic daytrip. What sort of things do people do to safeguard a camera on longer trip?
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
nez

Post by nez »

Hi Dave, I use a rolling pelican case for photography from the car boot but wouldn't dream of it from a bike - they are really heavy.

davkt8

Post by davkt8 »

I use F-Stop gear camera bags which use interchangeable camera modules inside the bag, those camera modules also go into my panniers. The large one I have easily fits my full DSLR, RZ67 or MPP 4x5 field camera.
nez

Post by nez »

davkt8 wrote:I use F-Stop gear camera bags which use interchangeable camera modules inside the bag, those camera modules also go into my panniers. The large one I have easily fits my full DSLR, RZ67 or MPP 4x5 field camera.

Thanks for this advice. I found a small one on eBay, so that's a good cheap start. Perfect for the slr in a pannier bag but also will fit in my carradice saddle bag.