Advice on first hybrid/road bike?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Naomi1893

Advice on first hybrid/road bike?

Post by Naomi1893 »

Hi all,

I am currently looking into getting a bike for leisure and maybe some commute cycling. I have not cycled since I was a child, but I used to love it when I was younger and would love to be able to get back into it, as well as get fit with something I enjoy.

I don't want to spend out big money to start out with, just incase I don't take to it as I am hoping to, or it ends up a dust collector for months as I have a habbit of doing with new hobbies :? (hopefully not with this one!!)

I have found a couple of hybrid/road bikes that I feel may be fit for purpose for starting out, but I am looking for some advice on preference before I buy, being a newbie I am not confident in just buying a bike that I may of misjudged. Any advice, preference etc is greatly appreciated.

Here are the two I have narrowed it down to:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... ybrid-bike

http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-te ... e=93302649

I have also just been having a look through some other similar recent posts. Another user has been looking at the carrera alongside another bike that has front suspension as does the muddy fox bike I posted. Anyone with any advice on wether the suspension is beneficial or not would be helpful, I read it's best to avoid.

Thank you in advance :D
Graham

Re: Advice on first hybrid/road bike?

Post by Graham »

Rule 1 : Don't buy a bike with front suspension unless you are going to ride a lot of miles on very rough surfaces ( off-road ).

Rule 2 : Don't buy a cheap bike with front suspension. Full stop.

Also have a look a Decathlon offerings, which may offer even better value for money.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

If you buy the bike from Sports Direct then I'd put money on it will be another short lived hobby.
You've a little more chance of being looked after at Halfords depending on your branch and who is working for them.
A shame you don't know anyone local with some knowledge who could help you. If you state your location then there maybe someone here would recommend other options.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Decathlon Triban 500 SE Road..... STUNNING VALUE..Alloy and Carbon frame, top bike .... all sizes available, suitable for everything from commuting to Sportive's, which is what i use mine for .. The posh TREK hardly gets out ...
And the customer support is amazing .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Naomi1893

Post by Naomi1893 »

Graham wrote:Rule 1 : Don't buy a bike with front suspension unless you are going to ride a lot of miles on very rough surfaces ( off-road ).

Rule 2 : Don't buy a cheap bike with front suspension. Full stop.

Also have a look a Decathlon offerings, which may offer even better value for money.

Thank you, I will have a look there too. From the responses and research on similar posts I will most definitely be avoiding suspension.
Naomi1893

Post by Naomi1893 »

Paulatic wrote:If you buy the bike from Sports Direct then I'd put money on it will be another short lived hobby.
You've a little more chance of being looked after at Halfords depending on your branch and who is working for them.
A shame you don't know anyone local with some knowledge who could help you. If you state your location then there maybe someone here would recommend other options.

I thought this at first but was struggling to find other places with a wider selection. Yes it will definitely be halfords or somewhere similar as I'm hoping to try out for size before buying. I live in the east Lancashire area. Down to just the carrera and will have a look at decathlon for any other options.

Thank you :)
Naomi1893

Post by Naomi1893 »

landsurfer wrote:Decathlon Triban 500 SE Road..... STUNNING VALUE..Alloy and Carbon frame, top bike .... all sizes available, suitable for everything from commuting to Sportive's, which is what i use mine for .. The posh TREK hardly gets out ...
And the customer support is amazing .....

This looks great for the money although I'm looking for something a little more hybrid, however I did find another option on decathlon that may be an option if the carrera does not seem suitable.

Thank you :)
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

They do a flat bar version ... you can always join the dark side later .. :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
ScottishGeek

Post by ScottishGeek »

A female colleague of mine was looking for a bike last year and after buying a Halfords offering then another off eBay, both of which she hated, she finally got a btwin from Decathlon and loves it. Of course your experience may differ.
Slick

Post by Slick »

I'm no expert, but from my limited experience, Halfords are by no means a guarantee for success. Mines was advertised as a £600 bikes for £300, and I do like a deal. The order in which I've had to replace individual components are as follows in as best as I remember, chronological order.

Pedals. Really cheap stock platforms that were worse than useless.

Rear spindle. Just snapped.

Tyres. As above.

Rear wheel bearing. I did ride all through a harsh wet winter.

Tyres. Again.

Saddle. Took me a while to realise, it wasn't normal to walk like big John after every ride.

Wheels. Spoke burst and immediately buckled. Got it trued but guy said they won't last much longer. Some people will argue this is just wear and tear. I reckon I now have a bit more experience to know what to look for when buying a bike.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
In Halfords today, Wiggo bikes are opposite Boardmans.
Saw a bike Hybrid 29er with semi road rough tyres, hydraulic brakes, 3X9 gears, cassette copy, looked smart. £330.

Mid seventies built up a bike on a second hand frame with new parts £30, rear axel wore out after a few thousand miles.
Late seventies paid £120 for a custom made drop bar bike 2X5 gears probably. Swapped the freewheel for a shimano brand one...good move.
Early eighties paid £345 for a Koga-Miyata with 600ax parts....magic :) My mates went for £165 and the freewheel axel did not last..snapped.

You need to spend just so much or it will let you down.

In 93 spent £250 on a Carrera mtb full shimano parts and cassette hub, still have it.
In 96 spent £832 on a Raleigh Randonneur , full shimano parts, this is my current 24hr and explorer bike.

All shimano parts today (not pressed tin models) are....................£1500 - £2000 :?:

But go for a cassette rear hub (even an aluminium copy and Q-Release hubs Front & Back and branded cranks.........how much? Not sure but it will last past next Xmas, or second hand bike...............................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Naomi1893

Post by Naomi1893 »

landsurfer wrote:They do a flat bar version ... you can always join the dark side later .. :)

I'll be sure to have a look :) that's what my intentions are heading towards :arrow: :)
Naomi1893

Post by Naomi1893 »

ScottishGeek wrote:A female colleague of mine was looking for a bike last year and after buying a Halfords offering then another off eBay, both of which she hated, she finally got a btwin from Decathlon and loves it. Of course your experience may differ.

Thank you for the input :) I've seen a btwin too that I like from decathlon as I'm really unsure on the carrera from halfords.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/original-30 ... 45553.html

Again I'm not 100% sure on what to go for or fully suitable.
Naomi1893

Post by Naomi1893 »

Slick wrote:I'm no expert, but from my limited experience, Halfords are by no means a guarantee for success. Mines was advertised as a £600 bikes for £300, and I do like a deal. The order in which I've had to replace individual components are as follows in as best as I remember, chronological order.

Tyres. As above.

Tyres. Again.

Saddle. Took me a while to realise, it wasn't normal to walk like big John after every ride.

Wheels. Spoke burst and immediately buckled. Got it trued but guy said they won't last much longer. Some people will argue this is just wear and tear. I reckon I now have a bit more experience to know what to look for when buying a bike.

This is what I'm afraid of with being a new rider, I have to admit that what came across as a good deal did buy me in also, although I can't seem to fully agree with the bike for some reason I'm putting myself off it and the reviews I have read about halfords are far from great to say the least.
Slick

Post by Slick »

Naomi1893 wrote:
Slick wrote:I'm no expert, but from my limited experience, Halfords are by no means a guarantee for success. Mines was advertised as a £600 bikes for £300, and I do like a deal. The order in which I've had to replace individual components are as follows in as best as I remember, chronological order.

Tyres. As above.

Tyres. Again.

This is what I'm afraid of with being a new rider, I have to admit that what came across as a good deal did buy me in also, although I can't seem to fully agree with the bike for some reason I'm putting myself off it and the reviews I have read about halfords are far from great to say the least.

I find buying anything is much the same, either you pay the dealership or you pay the mechanic. The next time round I'll be checking the individual component parts and ignoring the bling.