Advice on first hybrid/road bike?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Naomi1893

Re: Advice on first hybrid/road bike?

Post by Naomi1893 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
In Halfords today, Wiggo bikes are opposite Boardmans.
Saw a bike Hybrid 29er with semi road rough tyres, hydraulic brakes, 3X9 gears, cassette copy, looked smart. £330.

Mid seventies built up a bike on a second hand frame with new parts £30, rear axel wore out after a few thousand miles.
Late seventies paid £120 for a custom made drop bar bike 2X5 gears probably. Swapped the freewheel for a shimano brand one...good move.
Early eighties paid £345 for a Koga-Miyata with 600ax parts....magic :) My mates went for £165 and the freewheel axel did not last..snapped.

You need to spend just so much or it will let you down.

In 93 spent £250 on a Carrera mtb full shimano parts and cassette hub, still have it.
In 96 spent £832 on a Raleigh Randonneur , full shimano parts, this is my current 24hr and explorer bike.

All shimano parts today (not pressed tin models) are....................£1500 - £2000 :?:

But go for a cassette rear hub (even an aluminium copy and Q-Release hubs Front & Back and branded cranks.........how much? Not sure but it will last past next Xmas, or second hand bike...............................

Hi thank you for the response :)

I'm really just looking for something that I could maybe get some good use from for the coming year, and then looking to upgrade to bigger and better depending on what level I am at and how much time I am committing to regular riding.

To begin with I am only looking at spending around £150-£250, I have university, a child and work to juggle so it won't be taking a hammering to start out with :lol:

Thank you for your response :)
Naomi1893

Post by Naomi1893 »

Slick wrote:
Naomi1893 wrote:
Slick wrote:I'm no expert, but from my limited experience, Halfords are by no means a guarantee for success. Mines was advertised as a £600 bikes for £300, and I do like a deal. The order in which I've had to replace individual components are as follows in as best as I remember, chronological order.

Pedals. Really cheap stock platforms that were worse than useless.

Rear spindle. Just snapped.

Tyres. As above.

Rear wheel bearing. I did ride all through a harsh wet winter.

Tyres. Again.

Saddle. Took me a while to realise, it wasn't normal to walk like big John after every ride.

Wheels. Spoke burst and immediately buckled. Got it trued but guy said they won't last much longer. Some people will argue this is just wear and tear. I reckon I now have a bit more experience to know what to look for when buying a bike.

This is what I'm afraid of with being a new rider, I have to admit that what came across as a good deal did buy me in also, although I can't seem to fully agree with the bike for some reason I'm putting myself off it and the reviews I have read about halfords are far from great to say the least.

I find buying anything is much the same, either you pay the dealership or you pay the mechanic. The next time round I'll be checking the individual component parts and ignoring the bling.

This is what I am trying my best to hopefully avoid, hence why I have turned to a forum, if I go into the store I will most probably walk out with most expensive inconvenient bike they have for sale because it Was the most appealing to the eyes :?
Slick

Post by Slick »

Haha, pretty much what I did. The truth is, I am pretty sore on the bike. Weather doesn't stop me so commuting can take its toll. I did pay a right few quid to get it serviced as the better weather came in, but there is nothing you can do to stop soft components failing.

Good luck, whichever you decide.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

to be practical you do need to get some thing with mudguards or you will get very dirty when it rains - thats one thing that cheap bikes leave out.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
These (admit I did not look closely at first to the bikes you posted) bikes are very similar and only the added f-suspension and adjustable handle bar stem sets the Muddy Fox apart ?

These bikes are what I train on, that is to say I have two recycled bikes which are very similar specs (added r-rack, panniers, mud guards, lights, toe clips, bike computer, pump) But it does have a cassette rear wheel, the non cassette axel broke :!:

The rear wheel is always the part that goes first.
Spend twice as much for a copy cassette and a nicer bike.
OR -if you get that far you will probably get another bike, before if you ever manage to (unlikely) break it, unless you are doing the shopping on it and racing at the weekends :)

So the halfords if a shop near you is one where you can bend their ear if you don't get satisfaction.
Unless you have a mate whom will sell you a second hand one, either bike is not a bad place to start, as you might also not stay the distance :mrgreen: Spending more might be a waste.
Accessories add up £50 - 100, better off ebay..................

Drop bar roadie might be a culture shock............too far :? Decathalon has a cassette, will be slicker and faster, comfort will suffer :(
Theses (Your posted) bikes will be at home more on cycle paths than the roadie, so more practical.
On the hybrids you can always add some long bar ends for wind cheating....ticks all boxes.

OR again spend £300 for extra security, resale will always shock you..........................back to second hand hardly used for a bargain......
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Naomi1893

Post by Naomi1893 »

mercalia wrote:to be practical you do need to get some thing with mudguards or you will get very dirty when it rains - thats one thing that cheap bikes leave out.

Thanks :) I have been looking at mud guards as an extra as I noticed this with having lots of rain where I live unfortunately :lol:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Naomi1893 wrote:
mercalia wrote:to be practical you do need to get some thing with mudguards or you will get very dirty when it rains - thats one thing that cheap bikes leave out.

Thanks :) I have been looking at mud guards as an extra as I noticed this with having lots of rain where I live unfortunately :lol:

dont know about this but I wonder if some bikes make it hard to add mudguards? mt bikes do, they have those silly flappy things?

and another matter do you need to carry any stuff? then some kind of rear rack a must, a ruck sack is a pain. Again some bikes make it hard to add a rack?
Naomi1893

Post by Naomi1893 »

mercalia wrote:
Naomi1893 wrote:

dont know about this but I wonder if some bikes make it hard to add mudguards? mt bikes do, they have those silly flappy things?

and another matter do you need to carry any stuff? then some kind of rear rack a must, a ruck sack is a pain. Again some bikes make it hard to add a rack?

I have found some suitable for the bikes I have narrowed it down to fortunately. Fortunately I won't have much to carry and I have found a handy attachment that will hold everything. Thanks :)
james01

Post by james01 »

I notice that the Halfords Parva has the "new" 27.5" wheels. Is it my imagination or are a lot of bikes with this wheel size being sold heavily discounted as rumours spread about limited tyre availability?
A bit outside your budget but this Ridgeback Velocity at £320 ticks a lot of boxes:https://www.evanscycles.com/ridgeback-velocity-2015-hybrid-bike-EV223342?esvt=240-GOUKE1702052&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-32684-1&esvcrea=61231255496&esvplace=&esvd=c&esvo=EV223342-17-BLU&esvaid=50080&gclid=CjwKEAjwxeq9BRDDh4_MheOnvAESJABZ4VTqF3Y5B1S-HFQhoGqeF6FRRZYCTF4I1OvR0ez_QxR7vRoCJl3w_wcB 700c 36 spoke wheels, aluminium frame with chromoly forks, 24 speed with reasonably low 23.5 inch bottom gear, mudguard and rack fastening points.
Edit: Sorry,can't get the link to work but it's for sale on Evans Cycles website.
Naomi1893

Post by Naomi1893 »

These (admit I did not look closely at first to the bikes you posted) bikes are very similar and only the added f-suspension and adjustable handle bar stem sets the Muddy Fox apart ?

These bikes are what I train on, that is to say I have two recycled bikes which are very similar specs (added r-rack, panniers, mud guards, lights, toe clips, bike computer, pump) But it does have a cassette rear wheel, the non cassette axel broke :!:

The rear wheel is always the part that goes first.
Spend twice as much for a copy cassette and a nicer bike.
OR -if you get that far you will probably get another bike, before if you ever manage to (unlikely) break it, unless you are doing the shopping on it and racing at the weekends :)

So the halfords if a shop near you is one where you can bend their ear if you don't get satisfaction.
Unless you have a mate whom will sell you a second hand one, either bike is not a bad place to start, as you might also not stay the distance :mrgreen: Spending more might be a waste.
Accessories add up £50 - 100, better off ebay..................

Drop bar roadie might be a culture shock............too far :? Decathalon has a cassette, will be slicker and faster, comfort will suffer :(
Theses (Your posted) bikes will be at home more on cycle paths than the roadie, so more practical.
On the hybrids you can always add some long bar ends for wind cheating....ticks all boxes.

OR again spend £300 for extra security, resale will always shock you..........................back to second hand hardly used for a bargain......

Yes I think I am going to avoid the suspension and the drop bar roadies are definitely something to work towards. I have seen extras for whichever I choose.

I don't want to spend too much as I hope to upgrade in roughly a year so something half decent just to get me back In to it would be ideal. The choice from decathlon or halfords are looking the most promising but I'm hoping to try out for size etc before buying and with a halford close by it may be more convenient.

Thanks for your response, it has been a great help :)
Naomi1893

Post by Naomi1893 »

james01 wrote:I notice that the Halfords Parva has the "new" 27.5" wheels. Is it my imagination or are a lot of bikes with this wheel size being sold heavily discounted as rumours spread about limited tyre availability?
A bit outside your budget but this Ridgeback Velocity at £320 ticks a lot of boxes:https://www.evanscycles.com/ridgeback-velocity-2015-hybrid-bike-EV223342?esvt=240-GOUKE1702052&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-32684-1&esvcrea=61231255496&esvplace=&esvd=c&esvo=EV223342-17-BLU&esvaid=50080&gclid=CjwKEAjwxeq9BRDDh4_MheOnvAESJABZ4VTqF3Y5B1S-HFQhoGqeF6FRRZYCTF4I1OvR0ez_QxR7vRoCJl3w_wcB 700c 36 spoke wheels, aluminium frame with chromoly forks, 24 speed with reasonably low 23.5 inch bottom gear, mudguard and rack fastening points.
Edit: Sorry,can't get the link to work but it's for sale on Evans Cycles website.

Thank you I will have a look :D I am new to cycling and so really unsure about this, maybe something to look into before buying. Thanks for the notice.
BlueFox

Post by BlueFox »

Agree with the other posters who said don't buy Sports Direct tat! Sports Direct buy up the brands of famous companies what have gone bust eg Karrimor, Muddy Fox, Slazenger and use them for their own el-cheapo stuff. The SD Muddy Fox is nothing like the real Muddy Fox.

Also the SD "discounts" are not real. They put the price up and down artificially just so they can legally claim that a price is a discount

I've not used Decathalon but I've heard they have good value for money stuff.

Other alternatives:

1/ Get a decent second hand bike.

2/ Get a decent bike on sale or clearance at a real discount eg 2015 or 2014 model. You can check the prices online at other retailers so you know what the going price is and therefore what sort of discount you are actually getting. I got a nice Kona Dew half price a few years ago and I never had any trouble with it (other than routine maintence). Can definitely recommend them as a decent relatively inexpensive hybrid.

Halfords has the 2015 model £223 which isn't bad but you might be able to get it cheaper if you google around. I got mine for around £170.
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... -bike-2015

Giant also have decent inexpensive bikes.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
That is a bargain with cassette too.
OK so the block is hg20 and the chain might be near the bottom?
Gears are wide but plenty with low 28/32 get you up 1:4's, top 48 clanger will be little use, not sure why the gearing is so high, 42 / 44 would be fine.
But that is hard to beat I am sure........................

Any more bargains.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Naomi1893

Post by Naomi1893 »

BlueFox wrote:Agree with the other posters who said don't buy Sports Direct tat! Sports Direct buy up the brands of famous companies what have gone bust eg Karrimor, Muddy Fox, Slazenger and use them for their own el-cheapo stuff. The SD Muddy Fox is nothing like the real Muddy Fox.

Also the SD "discounts" are not real. They put the price up and down artificially just so they can legally claim that a price is a discount

I've not used Decathalon but I've heard they have good value for money stuff.

Other alternatives:

1/ Get a decent second hand bike.

2/ Get a decent bike on sale or clearance at a real discount eg 2015 or 2014 model. You can check the prices online at other retailers so you know what the going price is and therefore what sort of discount you are actually getting. I got a nice Kona Dew half price a few years ago and I never had any trouble with it (other than routine maintence). Can definitely recommend them as a decent relatively inexpensive hybrid.

Halfords has the 2015 model £223 which isn't bad but you might be able to get it cheaper if you google around. I got mine for around £170.
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... -bike-2015

Giant also have decent inexpensive bikes.

Thank you for the response :) Yea I have decided to steer clear of sports direct. Ill be sure to check it out and have a shop around, hoping to buy mid September so I'll have a look at some older models at discount price.
Naomi1893

Post by Naomi1893 »

That is a bargain with cassette too.
OK so the block is hg20 and the chain might be near the bottom?
Gears are wide but plenty with low 28/32 get you up 1:4's, top 48 clanger will be little use, not sure why the gearing is so high, 42 / 44 would be fine.
But that is hard to beat I am sure........................

Any more bargains.

Thanks :) This looks ideal, however I'm struggling to find many available in the correct size. I am just shy of 5'2' and am recommended a 16" or small size.