Help get bikes on buses!!

Ben c

Help get bikes on buses!!

Post by Ben c »

I am a student trying to design to help improve cycle tourism by providing for more cycle carriage on buses. There are currently so many parts of our country which are unaccessible by bike unless you have a private car or are willing to take a 70 mile round trip to actually get there.

I want to help change this situation, but need to guage consumer demand for such a product in order for the bus companies to adopt it.

If there was a good cycle carriage facility on a bus would you use the service?

At the moment how would you transport your bike over a long distance?

What would the facility need to have in order for you to consider it a good product?

Thanks for your help
Ben
gar

Re:Help get bikes on buses!!

Post by gar »

Have you got a website questionnaire to fill in?
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

Well, as a family who chose to be car-free 16 years ago, and also live in a semi-rural location, we have yet to find anywhere where we have been unable to reach by using various combinations of PT and cycle use.

Whilst I your aims are admirable you do seem to have already fallen into the trap of assuming that a private car is a neccessity - although I understand a Mr CJ of this CTC parish eventually succumbed after a long period ;-)

With some planning most destinations are fairly easy to reach.

That said, anything that encourages more buses to take bikes must be a good thing.
Where's your questionnaire?

John
pwward

Post by pwward »

I cycled through Sweden in the early 90's. Most rural buses seemed to accept bicycles. The driver attached them to the back of the bus, The frame was suspended on 2 long arms, similar to detachable car carriers, just more heavy duty looking. The inlandsbanan (tourist train) that ran through central Sweden carried bikes in a similar way.
gar

Post by gar »

I agree with Triking on the use of public transport.
I add something else.

In the UK it is the BEST way to get from A to B,
but it has to be planned; it is then cheaper, more economical, more pleasureable, everything, than going by car.

A car driver will say "Oh that is a false economy because you lose your PRIVACY!"

"BUT NOT YOUR WALLET!"
Ben c

Post by Ben c »

Yes I have a good few questions I would like to ask but I am not sure what the best way is to do it so that people can respond easily. Is it just a case of creating a new forum entry or something?
gar

Post by gar »

You may get one or two replies from what you have written.

It is quite a science I believe formulating the questions.

If you don't ask the right questions you don't get the answers you are looking for...... !