Richard Branson's life saved by a bicyle helmet?

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Audax67

Re: Richard Branson's life saved by a bicyle helmet?

Post by Audax67 »

He should maybe wear one when approaching glass doors, too.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

For many years there have ben those who have used the "wear a helmet or be fed with soup through a straw' emotive blackmail

The good news is that we now have proof that helmet wearers also have the same problem

Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Obviously should have been wearing a full face downhill mtb one.

And a pressure suit with shoulder pads.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Maybe he'll become obsessed with improving cycle safety, or inventing safety devices.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Psamathe wrote:
Paulatic wrote:

Paul Tuohy‏ @Paultuohy
Hi Richard @richardbranson Good to hear you're ok! Get in touch re your helmet thoughts with my charity. @WeAreCyclingUK can advise you.

Interesting. So the charity (CUK) now belongs to Mr Tooey ? (takeover now complete)

Ian

Yup. With you on this. Although I run a small gardening company, I've never referred to people as 'my' or 'for' but 'our' or 'with'.

Crash and burn Tuohykins.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Heltor Chasca wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
Paulatic wrote:.

Interesting. So the charity (CUK) now belongs to Mr Tooey ? (takeover now complete)

Ian

Yup. With you on this. Although I run a small gardening company, I've never referred to people as 'my' or 'for' but 'our' or 'with'.

And I'm flummoxed I'm the only person to reply to his idiotic tweet. Even an idiot doesn't refer to a charity as 'MY'.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt all this time. Now I know he's the wrong man.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Nice one HC :wink:
Well said, It will be interesting to see if he replies. My experience has been he ignores me when I've challenged any statements.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Paulatic wrote:Nice one HC :wink:
Well said, It will be interesting to see if he replies. My experience has been he ignores me when I've challenged any statements.

I would be interested too. On the Twitter rant (as difficult as space allows) Mr Branson, CUK and Mr T (sans good hair-do & testicles) are included in my rant so I do hope to, at least prick someone's ears. Or other receptive regions. [emoji849]
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Heltor Chasca wrote:
Heltor Chasca wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Interesting. So the charity (CUK) now belongs to Mr Tooey ? (takeover now complete)

Ian

And I'm flummoxed I'm the only person to reply to his idiotic tweet. Even an idiot doesn't refer to a charity as 'MY'.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt all this time. Now I know he's the wrong man.

I'm not a member of Twitter so cannot post my congratulations to him on his move from employee to having taken it over completely. Great thing ownership.

Ian
Mattyfez

Post by Mattyfez »

He grazed his cheek and hit his shoulder, great argument for wearing a helmet. Which doesn't save cheeks or shoulders.

If he was riding sensibly in the first place, for example not speeding in the dark with no lights, he might have seen the speed bump.
drossall

Re: Ricahrd Branson's life saved by a bicyle helmet?

Post by drossall »

irc wrote:Risk compensation. Without a helmet he would have been going slower with decent front lights and not crashed. Helmet saved his life? Helmet nearly killed him is as valid.

I'm not sure that that is a reasonable interpretation of risk compensation. Most risky situations presumably do not result in accidents; rather, accidents happen when luck causes various bad things to coincide (too much speed, a slippery road, an oncoming vehicle, distraction, a speed bump - several of these plus others).

Risk compensation is normally about a small, general increase in risk taking, such that, if 20,000 Richard Bransons rode down similar hills, instead of 42 of them crashing, it's now 53.

But to suggest that a single instance of someone falling off is a result of risk compensation ignores the massive role that chance plays in determining when and where accidents happen. And the fact that some accidents will happen anyway, even if the rider is being very careful.
irc

Re: Ricahrd Branson's life saved by a bicyle helmet?

Post by irc »

drossall wrote:Risk compensation is normally about a small, general increase in risk taking, such that, if 20,000 Richard Bransons rode down similar hills, instead of 42 of them crashing, it's now 53..

Correct. So there is a chance Branson's crash was one of the extra crashes. A small chance. But then with thousands of cyclists only crashes every year but only a handful of fatal ones the chance his helmet saved his life was also tiny.

Of course we can't say Risk Compensation caused this particular accident. Just like we can't say whether the helmet saved his life. Both are very unlikely.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Violent agreement here :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

+1
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mattyfez wrote:He grazed his cheek and hit his shoulder, great argument for wearing a helmet. Which doesn't save cheeks or shoulders.

He was wearing helmets on his cheeks and shoulders: that's why he didn't see the speed bump!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.