Jeremny Vine a road rage victim

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Philip Benstead

Crimewatch presenter and keen cyclist Jeremy Vine posts video of angry driver threatening to knock him out

Post by Philip Benstead »

Crimewatch presenter and keen cyclist Jeremy Vine posts video of angry driver threatening to knock him out

Do we know who this women is?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08 ... -video-of/
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Flinders

Jeremny Vine a road rage victim

Post by Flinders »

MikeF

Re: Jeremny Vine a road rage victim

Post by MikeF »

Facebook video here.
Words fail me. Just what was she going to gain by passing him anyway? Her behaviour makes me wonder if she had taken drugs :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

MikeF wrote:Facebook video here.
Words fail me. Just what was she going to gain by passing him anyway? Her behaviour makes me wonder if she had taken drugs :wink:

I couldn't work out exactly what led up to it.
But anyone so out of control ought not to be driving.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

MikeF wrote:Facebook video here.

Ah, I see from that what happened- it's clearer on that link than on mine.
I hope the Police take it up. If they don't, I can't see what use they are.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

The DVLA website is showing the vehicle as untaxed.
MT56ECJ.png
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Flinders wrote:Ah, I see from that what happened- it's clearer on that link than on mine.

I made the point, on a different thread (different subject) that this sort of thing wouldn't usually be described as a 'hate crime', because cyclists aren't a recognised victim group.Yet, for a number of reasons, it seems to be a lot more serious than many incidents described as hate crimes.
1) It happened in real life rather than on social media
2) there were repeated threats of violence and, allegedly, actual violence
3) the victim may have been targeted not solely for being in the way but because of the woman's views about cyclists in general. I dunno - it's just a hunch.

I don't think there should be a specific offence of 'hate crime', but if there is then surely this should count as one.
Slick

Post by Slick »

Jeremny goes up a bit in my estimation. I think he handled it pretty well.
johnmac

Post by johnmac »

Is this what it's like in London? I've looked at the comments sections below articles about this on a few news websites and it's scary how many people have sympathy for the woman and suggest that JV was hogging the road. A lot of education is required and this can only help.

She needs to be taken off the road before she kills someone.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

On the subject of cyclists as the targets of hate crime:-

Unlike membership of other minorities (not in the numeric sense but as groups vulnerable to abuse and violence) for most cyclists, being a cyclist is voluntary. I suppose sexual orientation can be hidden but generally, members of minorities can only accept it or try to fight it. Cyclists have the additional option of quitting and potential cyclists can observe what's going on and decide not to bother. Any sort of national policy to promote cycling that ignores this will founder, IMO.

This nastiness and bullying is in addition to the dangers on roads where increasingly, anything goes.

Unfortunately, there's been a view in certain quarters that that nothing must be done to suggest that it's not all roses, for fear of deterring potential cyclists, as though they are too stupid to see for themselves what's happening. It's rare for a thread on this type of subject to get beyond the first few posts before somebody chimes in that it never happens to them so the people on the receiving end must be asking for it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS

To Jeremy Vine if you are reading this: Make sure the police serve a notice of intended prosecution in a timely manner.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

johnmac wrote:Is this what it's like in London? I've looked at the comments sections below articles about this on a few news websites and it's scary how many people have sympathy for the woman and suggest that JV was hogging the road. A lot of education is required and this can only help.

She needs to be taken off the road before she kills someone.

When a motorist looks at this video they see a cyclist blocking the car. They don't notice that the road is choked with parked cars on both sides. Even empty cars have automatic priority over cyclists.
The danger of being knocked off by an opening car door is even further from their thoughts.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

bovlomov wrote:
Flinders wrote:Ah, I see from that what happened- it's clearer on that link than on mine.

I made the point, on a different thread (different subject) that this sort of thing wouldn't usually be described as a 'hate crime', because cyclists aren't a recognised victim group.Yet, for a number of reasons, it seems to be a lot more serious than many incidents described as hate crimes.
1) It happened in real life rather than on social media
2) there were repeated threats of violence and, allegedly, actual violence
3) the victim may have been targeted not solely for being in the way but because of the woman's views about cyclists in general. I dunno - it's just a hunch.

I don't think there should be a specific offence of 'hate crime', but if there is then surely this should count as one.

I wonder if it would be in Notts? where staring at a woman is?

I have found most drivers in London ok Hope I dont ever come across that specimen of an amoeba

dont know why she is complaining, that width of road would mean that a cyclist speed the only safe speed, no more than 20 mph or less. I would have stayed in the middle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37223235
Last edited by mercalia on 30 Aug 2016, 10:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

mercalia wrote:I wonder if it would be in Notts? where staring at a woman is?

Perhaps Vine will be arrested for the hate crime of calling the woman 'dear' and filming her.

I have found most drivers in London ok

So have I.

But to make a xenophobic point, there are some areas of London where it feels as though the immigrant communities have imported their own local driving habits and (ahem...) quirks. Aaagh!!! Another hate crime!!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I had a not so silent chuckle when the Telegraph video was interrupted by an advertisement for the Vauxhall Corsa - exactly what the crazy lady was driving! Someone hasn't thought about that (and I do know it's a bot somewhere :D )
meic

Post by meic »

MikeF wrote:The DVLA website is showing the vehicle as untaxed.
MT56ECJ.png

I was wondering how the tax could be due on the 28th of June, then realised it must have transferred keeper on that date making it liable from a date other than the end of the month.
So the owner/keeper has never taxed it and probably will not be easy to find either.

At least I didnt hear her say "You dont pay Roadtax". :lol: :mrgreen:
Yma o Hyd