Jeremny Vine a road rage victim

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
bovlomov

Re: Jeremny Vine a road rage victim

Post by bovlomov »

meic wrote: and probably will not be easy to find either.

Someone might recognise her...
..if only there was a way to get members of the public to see her and hear her voice!
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

bovlomov wrote:
meic wrote: and probably will not be easy to find either.

Someone might recognise her...
..if only there was a way to get members of the public to see her and hear her voice!

you could try https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOX6ft ... rqZwtI7uGw
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Quetelet

Post by Quetelet »

I personally would hope, at the very least, this angry person is reported for a public order offence although, from experience, I'm not confident of charges being brought.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

meic wrote: ... So the owner/keeper has never taxed it and probably will not be easy to find either. ...

It's interesting that Mr Whine has gone for the publicity route - I presume he put it up on youtube, rather than somebody else - because that can lead to complications. Depending on how far his celebrity status gets him with his complaint about the incident, it may be that little official effort is made to find the driver.

He's got the material here for quite a long-running investigative journalism series, including an investigator from one of the consumer protection type programmes knocking on her door saying "Surprise, surprise!" (Sorry, that was somebody else :wink: )

Anyway, he could certainly do a controversial shock/horror exposée of how the system generally fails miserably in cases such as these.

I'm still wondering if an NIP has been served, although if the new keeper hasn't registered their details, that could be an exception to the 14 days requirement. There could be loads of mileage in this, with more screen time than others who are less well-known manage.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

thirdcrank wrote:There could be loads of mileage in this, with more screen time than others who are less well-known manage.

What a cynic you are!

I fear a cycle-themed investigation by Vine is likely to make cyclists even less popular.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

bovlomov wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:There could be loads of mileage in this, with more screen time than others who are less well-known manage.

What a cynic you are!

I fear a cycle-themed investigation by Vine is likely to make cyclists even less popular.

I'm surprised about all the publicity this is getting. I've experienced worse in country lanes in East Anglia - though I was not kicked but then the video (I've seen) does not show Vine being kicked.

I can't see the Police doing anything unless the "celebrity factor" is deemed important enough to justify their action. From the video I saw the is no proof that he was kicked beyond him saying she kicked him and an "are you going to assault me again" comment later.

Whilst the behaviour of the driver is totally unacceptable, I think that if the BBC (or whoever) start to focus on cycle-themed investigations based on this video it will not help anybody. From reports, drivers have suffered worse road rage attacks (than Vine's) from other drivers than that experienced by Vine. There is a case for such reports based on other videos floating around the internet but not using Vine's video.

But the thread did make me wonder about how drivers caught speeding (1st offence ?) are sometimes offered the option to attend a safety course (they have to pay for). So maybe drivers where there is weaker evidence about their behaviour towards cyclists could be "offered" the option to take a cycling course. There seem to already be such courses available (instructors on this forum) and Police just give the offender a list of approved instructors and contact numbers and they are required to present their course completion certificate within e.g. 10 weeks or (they are told) prosecution proceedings will be started.

Ian
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

This sort of thing happens on a regular basis to cyclists.

Now JV has experienced it it's got some airing.

I hope the woman gets her licence taken away.

I guess nothing will happen though. We live in a car culture in this country, which is why I'm moving to France next year.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

bikerwaser wrote: We live in a car culture in this country, which is why I'm moving to France next year.
Where they don't have cars? :? :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Of course a reason the car isn't taxed is that maybe she hasn't insurance :shock: , as you cannot tax a vehicle without insurance. It certainly all needs investigating anyway.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

The Guardian, apropos this incident, is asking for accounts of road rage experiences. If you want to contribute go to https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog .
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

bovlomov wrote: ... What a cynic you are!

Having described myself thus on another thread (protective equipment for shoulders) earlier today I can hardly disagree, but in this case I think I am just being realistic, rather than naïve. The man is media-savvy with brass knobs on. He can spot a newsworthy controversy from a mile off. I'd not suggest for one second that this was somehow staged or contrived, but once it had occurred, I'd take some convincing that he hadn't spotted a gem.

As for the outcome, who knows? The issue certainly seems to be attracting some interest.

BTW, I'm not really bothered what he does and the fact that he's a cyclist doesn't affect my attitude to his media appearances, be it hoofing around on Strictly come dancing, (and has another year passed already :shock: ) leaping about the studio dumbing-down election coverage, or his two-hour slot on Radio 2 at lunchtime, preceded by a ten-minute trailer at 1130.

And if JV or any of his researchers are reading this, that's another day gone for service of the NIP.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

and a follow up report on cameras -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37229880
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

In his defence he often posts on Twitter videos of incidents on his way to the studios. This is by far the worst but I do not think this has been posted merely for the publicity. He is a regular cyclist and I often wonder why he posts the clips as all you get is a subsequent Twitter blizzard between those who are pro cycling and the driving trolls.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

brianleach wrote:In his defence he often posts on Twitter videos of incidents on his way to the studios. This is by far the worst but I do not think this has been posted merely for the publicity. He is a regular cyclist and I often wonder why he posts the clips as all you get is a subsequent Twitter blizzard between those who are pro cycling and the driving trolls.

Click bait. For celebrities having followers and activity is far more important that actual content or anything meaningful.

Ian