Jeremny Vine a road rage victim

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
tatanab

Re: Jeremny Vine a road rage victim

Post by tatanab »

thirdcrank wrote:I presume it's some sort of gesture,
The American use of the erect middle finger. Virtually unknown in the UK until less than 20 years ago where we preferred the time honoured 2 finger salute. Like in the US, it is now an invitation to instant death.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

tatanab wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:I presume it's some sort of gesture,
The American use of the erect middle finger. Virtually unknown in the UK until less than 20 years ago where we preferred the time honoured 2 finger salute. Like in the US, it is now an invitation to instant death.

I once had an amusing little confrontation with some young people in an open topped car.
They hooted as they overtook, but the were going slowly enough that the following pantomime could happen.
I gave then the V sign and they replied with the same.
So I gave them the finger, which got the same reply.
I then gave them the sign which involves putting one hand in the crook of the other elbow and bringing up that forearm forcibly to the vertical with a clenched fist.
By now it was clearly a bit of fun, so they disappeared up the road laughing.
I forgot to use the fig I am afraid.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I've watched the video a few times now and IMO JV had two opportunities to to give way to the Corsa and didn't.
At the very beginning of the video (camera forward facing)there's a red car on either side of the road,when viewed behind(rear camera)there's enough room for him to pull over without hardly slowing to let the Corsa through.
At the point where he stops,with the Corsa behind him(rear camera)there's again room for him to move over as there's no cars parked on either side of the road where he's stopped(see the front camera view after the altercation) but he doesn't pull over,he IMO deliberately blocks the Corsa's overtake and progress to make what's already a bad situation worse.

The Corsa driver is on a short fuse and I have no truck with her extremely aggressive driving attitude,language or manner when out of the car,she escalates the incident out of all reason but JV milks it IMHO.

IMHO,when this goes 'viral' he'll have done cycling no favours in the eyes of the more aggressive driver types.

My 2d's worth
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
RichardPH

Post by RichardPH »

I looked at this video with an open mind.

First thing I spotted was that rear facing view when the car drew up closer. Jeremny [sic] rode past a number of substantial gaps in the parked cars where he could have safely slowed a tad and given the car behind the opportunity to pass, he didn't. I always pull across in such circumstances for two reasons. Firstly a momentary slowing and a wave to indicate I want the driver to pass is better than an angry person in a vehicle that could do me harm. Secondly I see it as a way of being polite and considerate to other road users, trying to foster a better attitude towards cyclists, I nearly always get a cheery toot and wave to thank me.

Jeremy Vine was not riding defensively, he was looking for trouble to record on his front and rear facing cameras, and he got it. He then confirmed his desire to provoke by stopping right in front of her. The woman was equally in the wrong, but don't come to me for sympathy when she was provoked by this inconsiderate piece of riding.
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

If I get beeped at pottering around town I don't pay it much mind, but if the same thing happens while touring fully laden I have a completely different, far more aggressive, mindset. Not sure why this is, but it's something I've got to watch, because often people are just fellow tourists in car, beeping to offer a thumbs up.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

On parked up streets, if you dive into a gap, you can end up stuck there or being hit by a vehicle behind the one you pulled in for.
On a long roads, I would pull over where it was safe, but on short streets I'm not going to be holding up a car from more than a few seconds if that, so there is no need to.
We saw that he caught up with her at the next lights, which proves my point. She gained nothing by overtaking him.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Flinders wrote:On parked up streets, if you dive into a gap, you can end up stuck there or being hit by a vehicle behind the one you pulled in for.
On a long roads, I would pull over where it was safe, but on short streets I'm not going to be holding up a car from more than a few seconds if that, so there is no need to.
We saw that he caught up with her at the next lights, which proves my point. She gained nothing by overtaking him.

No, but that's not the point that's being made. There were opportunities to do the right thing, and then bask in the schadenfreude (if one were so minded) of pulling up behind them at the next lights, enjoying the efficiency of a bicycle in a city. :D
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

reohn2 wrote:I've watched the video a few times now and IMO JV had two opportunities to to give way to the Corsa and didn't.
At the very beginning of the video (camera forward facing)there's a red car on either side of the road,when viewed behind(rear camera)there's enough room for him to pull over without hardly slowing to let the Corsa through.
At the point where he stops,with the Corsa behind him(rear camera)there's again room for him to move over as there's no cars parked on either side of the road where he's stopped(see the front camera view after the altercation) but he doesn't pull over,he IMO deliberately blocks the Corsa's overtake and progress to make what's already a bad situation worse.

The Corsa driver is on a short fuse and I have no truck with her extremely aggressive driving attitude,language or manner when out of the car,she escalates the incident out of all reason but JV milks it IMHO.

IMHO,when this goes 'viral' he'll have done cycling no favours in the eyes of the more aggressive driver types.

My 2d's worth

I know this road well there is no point going fast ,you get stop at the lights . Also i would speeded up a bit and let pass me at the junction before the lights.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Flinders wrote:On parked up streets, if you dive into a gap, you can end up stuck there or being hit by a vehicle behind the one you pulled in for.

I sort of take you point,but I'm a ware of what the situation is on such streets and if it's the case it's just a matter of a few seconds or if the there's more than one car I agree I wouldn't pull in.
However this isn't the case and the driver was aggressive,better of with a driver like that in front of me where I can see them and what they're up to.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Philip Benstead wrote:I know this road well there is no point going fast ,you get stop at the lights . Also i would speeded up a bit and let pass me at the junction before the lights.

But JV stopped in what looks like to me a deliberate position to block her overtake,she's a headcase,that's a given,he could've moved over to let the nutter past(possibly in two separate places)but chose not to.

I think it's important not to let our cyclist head get in the way of what seems to me to be happening,namely that he's making a point in the wrong place with a goonatic.
Furthermore such a video splashed all over the web and TV could backfire on cycling as a whole.
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I don't understand how the right thing was to get the **** out of the way.

I have to admit that I wouldn't have stopped to confront the driver, but I understand why he did. She was driving very close to him, too close for safety.

reohn2 wrote:

I sort of take you point,but I'm a ware of what the situation is on such streets and if it's the case it's just a matter of a few seconds or if the there's more than one car I agree I wouldn't pull in.
However this isn't the case and the driver was aggressive,better of with a driver like that in front of me where I can see them and what they're up to.

I agree that was probably the sensible thing to do, and likely what I would do, but I'm glad that there are people in the world who will confront agressive and abusive drivers.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Stephen Cameron thought that too :(

In a world sufficiently populated with crazies, then one does so at one's peril, sadly.
meic

Post by meic »

Vorpal wrote:I don't understand how the right thing was to get the **** out of the way.

I have to admit that I wouldn't have stopped to confront the driver, but I understand why he did. She was driving very close to him, too close for safety.

reohn2 wrote:

I agree that was probably the sensible thing to do, and likely what I would do, but I'm glad that there are people in the world who will confront agressive and abusive drivers.

Hardly, he has got some good material out of the encounter. :wink:
He let himself get an electric shock on air for less publicity than this may generate.
Yma o Hyd
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Do people with cameras have more incidents or do people with more incidents get cameras? I suppose we also should know how many miles and where and when people ride, some people's YouTube channels seem to have loads of incidents, maybe it's them, maybe it's where and when they ride and how often.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Postboxer wrote:Do people with cameras have more incidents or do people with more incidents get cameras? I suppose we also should know how many miles and where and when people ride, some people's YouTube channels seem to have loads of incidents, maybe it's them, maybe it's where and when they ride and how often.

I don't watch many cycling ones, but without a shadow of a doubt there's a population of car camera users who do go out of their way to generate footage - and then publish it.