Pashley Picador Rear Axle Threads

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mrjemm

Pashley Picador Rear Axle Threads

Post by mrjemm »

Hola folks,

I've been getting a pair'o Pashley Picadors (how I love a bit o'allit(eration)) sorted for use, and run into a stumble on the final furlong (is that a mixed metaphor, or simply confused/ing?). These are from maybe the 70s or 80s; cottered cranks (when bought; now SqT), round tubes with no strengthening flanges, 451 wheels. Unsure of actual vintage, and Pashley unable to help (and if you look at the website, you'll realise they're just a fashion brand now).

When stripping one, the rear axle cap nuts from both ends were playful- RHS stiff (as I remember), and LHS just dropped off. Having put them back together to finish off, the RHS doesn't want to go back on, and the LHS just spins freely. The LHS nut thread appears to be mostly stripped, beyond the axle thread's extent, and the RHS, I am unsure, maybe crossed, but I am wary to try to hard in fear of stripping.

Not bothered about using the cap nuts- 'normal' open nuts would be fine, but having tried a few sitting around, beginning to wonder if these are imperial or some odd old thread format- look finer than what I am used to seeing.

The threads on the axle look OK, though I could have a closer look tomorrow (not near me), but wonder if any of our more knowledgable friends could offer some enlightenment regarding the nuts...

All the best, Jem.

p.s. I hope the company has better build quality now, or owners of some fancy bikes (and Moultons!) have paid a heap of money for a heap of hmmm.
mrjemm

Re: Pashley Picador Rear Axle Threads

Post by mrjemm »

Over a month amd no replies...

Either nobody knows, nobody understands my wittering or my walking into the wilderness has put me out of earshot.

Still trying to solve this. Was suggested locally the thread could be BS Cycle, and as such nobody around here (S Hants now) seems to be able to help.

Anyone know of a 'proper' old style bike shop in the South who may have a clue? Or an engineering firm with cycle nous?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IIRC more recent Pashley trikes have had metric threads on them but older ones could have been imperial. You could ask Pashley, but failing that...

Buy/beg/borrow a set of Vernier calipers.

Here's what you have to do, assuming that the male threads are OK;

1) Measure the OD of the thread form

2) measure the pitch.

To measure the pitch, take a screw with a known pitch (eg 26tpi or 1mm) and offer it up to the male thread, side by side. If it 'meshes' perfectly then you have found your pitch. If it is way out it won't mesh at all, and if it is close but not perfect (eg 26tpi vs 1mm), it will look as if it meshes, but actually will 'rock' slightly. Try a few different screws until you find one with the right pitch.

Report back with what you find.

If you don't have an assortment of suitable screws to try, offer up a ruler with 1mm graduations and take a photo that you can blow up on the screen and try to measure the pitch that way.

Another clue would be what dimension the nuts are on the outside.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Thanks Brucey,

A colleague has a set of VC so I'll give those a go when I get a chance.

Spoke to Pashley a while back and they were pretty much useless- apparently they keep no records/information on models from not so far back; lady didn't even know how to explain where the model info came from, IIRC it was 'when they got smaller' or something along those lines. I suspect this was when they were bought out or whatever happened.

Scouring the internet hasn't helped either. A couple of threads out there with similar matters, but none that I have seen go anywhere or come up with any answers.

I like your suggestions, but it'll be a bit awkward to hold a screw against, being a 'stud' thread which is thinner than the bar of the axle, and quite short. Perhaps if I can find a bolt, but that could be a hunt too. Will get at sometime in the next few days, but tied up at mo.

Cheers again, Jem.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

As before try Imperial and metric.
Failing that find a decent Industrial Nut Supplier and take the axle and ask them to check what the thread is for you, either with a set of gauges or by trying various out of the verious boxes.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

As before try Imperial and metric.
Failing that find a decent Industrial Nut Supplier and take the axle and ask them to check what the thread is for you, either with a set of gauges or by trying various out of the verious boxes.
Or go on the "On Three Wheels " Trike forum and ask there.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Thanks for the replies, 9494arnold.

I'll keep looking for a longer term solution, but for now, I got some needle files and with a bit of careful attention to the stud thread, and picking at the old nut thread, I managed to get the one nut on nice and securely. The other (drive side) is less vital as that wheel seems permanently seized on, so I'll probably fasten the (essentially decorative in this case) cap nut on there with some araldite or similar for the time being, seeing as that one is thoroughly stripped and very loose.

As for the On 3 Wheels suggestion, that'll be an interesting read! I have found myself fascinated by trikes at the mo, and tempted to get one for myself, albeit not a Picador! (The 2 I've been working on are work related).

All the best, Jem.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Happy to try and help. The forum is quite light hearted but also a useful rescource for asking that awkward question, usually someone on there who knows the answer to the difficult question. There's also a for Sale section (usually just highlighting e bay sales but there you go) . Enjoy :)