Project EDWARD - whistful thinking?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
squeaker

Project EDWARD - whistful thinking?

Post by squeaker »

Project EDWARD - given the likely causes of many traffic 'accidents', are the usual suspects likely to give a flying whatsit?
"42"
meic

Re: Project EDWARD - whistful thinking?

Post by meic »

It's easy, just make the pledge, anybody can do it. Then just carry on as usual because nobody actually sets off thinking that they are going to kill somebody.
Not even the drunken, peephole, texting, speeding redlight jumper with four bald tyres and an overweight trailer who hasnt slept for three days.
Yma o Hyd
gaz

Post by gaz »

Aiming for one day without a road death simply lacks ambition.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

squeaker wrote:Project EDWARD - given the likely causes of many traffic 'accidents', are the usual suspects likely to give a flying whatsit?

Nope,that's why we need effective policing.
Nothing stops criminal behaviour better than the threat of being caught and it costing the criminal dearly.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Tom Richardson

Post by Tom Richardson »

They need to go and do a bit more research and review this bit of victim blaming:
'But it’s not just drivers who are at fault. Many cyclists and pedestrians increase their risk levels by choosing to ignore the rules or look for risky short cuts.'
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Mmmmmm! Risky, or a short cut - which do you think they mean :-( what a completely pointless excercise.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
scrumpydave

Post by scrumpydave »

To paraphrase Bez

Drivers - pledge to not kill anyone on Sep 21
Cyclists - pledge to not get killed on Sep 21
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

With time on my hands, I've had a look at this and it's under the aegis of TISPOL, an organisation I've not heard of before. Like EDWARD, it's some sort of acronym perhaps T = Traffic and POL = The Bill. No ideas for IS.

From their mission statement (to be found in squeaker's link)

We believe the enforcement of traffic law and education, where appropriate, will make a significant contribution to reducing the carnage on our roads.

International Life President = reohn2 (No. I made that bit up.)

Here's the blue touch-paper:
Tispol is part-financed by the European Commission.

Anyway, I'm off to see where I left my aegis. I might be safer under my own. :roll:
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

I wasn't killed on my bike yesterday.

Anyone know if Project EDWARD succeeded? I suspect it didn't but I'd like to be proved wrong.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Tom Richardson wrote:They need to go and do a bit more research and review this bit of victim blaming:
'But it’s not just drivers who are at fault. Many cyclists and pedestrians increase their risk levels by choosing to ignore the rules or look for risky short cuts.'

You can see that as "victim blaming", but the reality is that when we send our children out cycling we tell them ride safely, have lights at night, look before turning and so on. When I did that I didn't consider it as excusing the behaviour of bad drivers, or blaming cyclists for accidents. I just saw it as arming my kids with things that might increase their chances of surviving. And whatever is good for my kids is good for others. Ride in a "safe" way and your chances of escaping injury are greater.