How long have you been a member of CYCLING UK / CTC ?

Philip Benstead

How long have you been a member of CYCLING UK / CTC ?

Post by Philip Benstead »

How long have you been a member of CYCLING UK is a trading name of Cyclists’ Touring Club (CTC)?

Less than 1 year
1-2 years
2-3 years
3-5 years
Over 5 years
Over 10 years
Over 20 years
Over 30 years
Not a member
Why not a member
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Heltor Chasca

Re: How long have you been a member of CYCLING UK is a trading name of Cyclists’ Touring Club (CTC)?

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Phillip. Are you able to tell us why you are conducting these almost daily surveys? What data / feedback are you collecting and why?

If we are going to put the effort in and provide you with information I think it is fair to know why.
Philip Benstead

Re: How long have you been a member of CYCLING UK is a trading name of Cyclists’ Touring Club (CTC)?

Heltor Chasca wrote:Phillip. Are you able to tell us why you are conducting these almost daily surveys? What data / feedback are you collecting and why?

If we are going to put the effort in and provide you with information I think it is fair to know why.

they are not daily
i want see if ctc members are looking at this forum or just ex members
i am disapoint with the lack of feedback about the work of the board of trustee
Tangled Metal

Re: How long have you been a member of CYCLING UK / CTC ?

Post by Tangled Metal »

Ok! I'll give you something to think about.

I'm not a member. One simple reason. At the time both my partner and I were about to join as a family membership the name change to CUK happened. As I'd already been a member of this forum (no requirement for membership of CUK) I got to read what appeared to be a bunch of older, long term members whinging about how their little boy's club had changed. And yes it very much did come across that it was a boy's club. I got that impression without my partner's input too (I'm not a feminist but she is).

My reasons for joining was clear. I was planning on getting into touring with my family and believed CTC/CUK membership offered benefits. Information, connection with others who cycled (cycled in general not just touring) and the idea that i might meet like minded people, even families who toured. The more I read the "debate" over the name change and what we viewed as modernization of the organization the more I doubted the benefits of membership.

So I got the needed information for free from many sources including CUK & BC. We toured on our own, having a lot of fun. The last bit was even better, we met and still meet a lot of nice people on tour or on day rides. We don't need the CUK, although if it does change we may reconsider.

One last thing is i nearly joined CTC back about 20+ years ago. Blackburn and district CTC group. It was a broad church as far as members went. Whilst where I live it's an OAP boy's club back then Blackburn had everyone from a young racing sub-group through to the elderly members who could no longer ride a bike. They were one of the first CTC groups to be issue race licences IIRC and often went on velodrome club nights.

I didn't join because membership was expensive when I factored in club ordained mudguards and carradice saddlebags with the £25 membership. Just out of university with debts and only filler jobs it was too much but at least that CTC was welcoming.
Philip Benstead

Tangled Metal wrote:Ok! I'll give you something to think about.

I'm not a member. One simple reason. At the time both my partner and I were about to join as a family membership the name change to CUK happened. As I'd already been a member of this forum (no requirement for membership of CUK) I got to read what appeared to be a bunch of older, long term members whinging about how their little boy's club had changed. And yes it very much did come across that it was a boy's club. I got that impression without my partner's input too (I'm not a feminist but she is).

My reasons for joining was clear. I was planning on getting into touring with my family and believed CTC/CUK membership offered benefits. Information, connection with others who cycled (cycled in general not just touring) and the idea that i might meet like minded people, even families who toured. The more I read the "debate" over the name change and what we viewed as modernization of the organization the more I doubted the benefits of membership.

So I got the needed information for free from many sources including CUK & BC. We toured on our own, having a lot of fun. The last bit was even better, we met and still meet a lot of nice people on tour or on day rides. We don't need the CUK, although if it does change we may reconsider.

One last thing is i nearly joined CTC back about 20+ years ago. Blackburn and district CTC group. It was a broad church as far as members went. Whilst where I live it's an OAP boy's club back then Blackburn had everyone from a young racing sub-group through to the elderly members who could no longer ride a bike. They were one of the first CTC groups to be issue race licences IIRC and often went on velodrome club nights.

I didn't join because membership was expensive when I factored in club ordained mudguards and carradice saddlebags with the £25 membership. Just out of university with debts and only filler jobs it was too much but at least that CTC was welcoming.
i am conflused do you like the changes or not. do you think the members matter or not
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Those reasons were valid 20 yrs ago, it's why I first joined.
IMO they are no longer valid as TM says.
I find it difficult to see it was a 'boys club' though. There has always been women in our section albeit a far cry from 50/50 but nether the less always there.
My early experiences of Birthday Rides was always a lot of families. A report back from the recent BR tells me there are none now.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

I first joined in 1979 as a 15-year-old who liked cycling to YH's and had come upon 'Cycling' magazine in hostels. ISTR the 'youth' subs rate was at pocket-money levels then.

Since YHA no longer allows under-16's to stay without an adult there will be no more coming in that way.

I left after a knee injury that stopped me from cycling altogether for several years. When I found I could ride again, and then that I could ride long distances again, I re-joined mainly as part of taking up from where I left off.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Does length of membership matter? Are longer members REAL members? How long do you have to be a member before you become a REAL member?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Not a member, reasons discussed starting at viewtopic.php?p=709002#p709002
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.