Trustee candidates

roberts8

Trustee candidates

Post by roberts8 »

Having the option to vote for a trustee I feel I should. It seems odd to me that for such an important role 50 percent of the candidates are not even members and the others have joined in the last year or so.
Having a quick check through the forum contributors they all seem to have been members for many years, hence understand where we are coming from and probably how we should move forward.
Why are candidates not members or seemingly recently jumped on the bandwagon and no long standing members on the list?
Is it just me or is this odd?
meic

Re: Trustee candidates

Post by meic »

and no long standing members on the list?

From a rather disinterested observation of threads on this subject apparently 31 prospectives were deemed unfit for the post in pre-selection, I imagine that is where your long standing members are to be found.
Yma o Hyd
gaz

Post by gaz »

The official view is more along the lines of non-members were invited to apply in order to be able to attract a wider range of talented candidates. Only the very best candidates* made the shortlist. No official suggestion has been made publically that any candidate that was not selected was unsuitable for the role :wink: .

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=109400

*In the opinion of the Nominations Committee.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
meic

Post by meic »

I can understand vetting out people who "cant do the job" and then letting the membership vote on the eligible candidates.
I can not understand what is the point of excluding eligible candidates from an election, or looking at it the other way, wasting time on an election when sorting has already been done by those who know better.
Yma o Hyd
gaz

Post by gaz »

More comment on the selection process and official reasoning behind it here: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=109253

There was an explicit statement made in the governance review that all candidates, even those felt to be least suitable by the Nominations Committee, retained the right to go forward to the elections. There is understandable criticism that this has not occured.
Last edited by gaz on 30 Sep 2016, 11:31am, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
pwa

Post by pwa »

meic wrote:I can understand vetting out people who "cant do the job" and then letting the membership vote on the eligible candidates.
I can not understand what is the point of excluding eligible candidates from an election, or looking at it the other way, wasting time on an election when sorting has already been done by those who know better.

Sounds like the way the Chinese Government orgainises elections in Hong Kong.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

gaz wrote:The official view is more along the lines of non-members were invited to apply in order to be able to attract a wider range of talented candidates. Only the very best candidates* made the shortlist. No official suggestion has been made publically that any candidate that was not selected was unsuitable for the role :wink: .

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=109400

*In the opinion of the Nominations Committee.

I generally support this official line and a wider range is usually a good thing. But I do think the 'new brooms' should have had the courtesy to join first if they want to be a trustee, mainly out of respect for the membership (both the members and the concept). It implies that membership is not important to the organisation.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

meic wrote:
and no long standing members on the list?

From a rather disinterested observation of threads on this subject apparently 31 prospectives were deemed unfit for the post in pre-selection, I imagine that is where your long standing members are to be found.

No long standing members. I can see the logic of inviting non-members to apply, but what is striking is that of those who are members, only one has been a member for more than about two years.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Sent to the CTC/CUK TRUSTEES
Dear All,
You will be aware that Philip Benstead had submitted a formal complaint about the “Selection Process for the Election Trusteeship”.
Gwenda Owen and Martin Cockersole have agreed to form the Complaints Panel and will investigate and report in due course.
Best wishes
David
David Cox OBE
Chair of Trustees
Cycling UK
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Philip Benstead

I note the nominations committee appears to not choose anybody with any financial background.
The board of trustee better get the abacus out then.
Also who has been selected to sit on the board as appointed trustee, somebody with real business experience.
It does not matter we are charity people will just give money and we spend as we like with no concerns for tomorrow.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Who actually stopped the rejected members from standing for election ?

Seems a pretty pathetic election if candidates need pre-approving. Not really an election atall. How would we feel is Ms May pre-selected all the candidates for election to Westminster ?

Ian
Philip Benstead

Psamathe wrote:Who actually stopped the rejected members from standing for election ?

Seems a pretty pathetic election if candidates need pre-approving. Not really an election atall. How would we feel is Ms May pre-selected all the candidates for election to Westminster ?

Ian
nomination committee stop the 31
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Philip Benstead wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Who actually stopped the rejected members from standing for election ?

Ian
nomination committee stop the 31

And who is on the Nominations Committee ?

Ian