Broken Ankle

arnsider

Broken Ankle

Post by arnsider »

I broke my left Ankle walking down off Penyghent, the Sunday of the Three Peaks Cyclo Cross race.
It is the lower fibula/lateral malleolus.
Has anyone had a similar fracture on here and does anyone know what sort of recovery time to expect before I can start cycling?
I am a big guy, 66 years old and a regular cyclist, doing 40-60n mile rides in hilly terrain.
whoof

Re: Broken Ankle

Post by whoof »

I broke my fibula and tibula just above the ankle which required plates and pins. I was in plaster for 6 weeks and rode a turbo trainer the day the plaster came off. The following day I cycled on the road, spinning a light gear. Within a few days I was doing three hour rides without and trouble. However if I stood up for more than 15 minutes the ankle would swell and it was painful. As cycling was non weight bearing exercise that got the blood pumping around the doctor said it would aid recovery.

I would say talk to your doctor and if you do start riding do so sitting down, use a low gear and spin. If you don't normally ride like this then this is a great opportunity to learn.

18 months after the brake I had a second operation to remove the pins and plates.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Well, that is very encouraging.
I am six days in plaster and cannot yet bear any weight on my duff leg.
I don't think I will need metal work as the X ray comments did not suggest such.
I will copy your comments to the hospital Doc and many thanks.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Some years ago I broke my left ankle. I cycled one-legged to A&E and home again with the plaster cast on.
whoof

Post by whoof »

arnsider wrote:Well, that is very encouraging.
I am six days in plaster and cannot yet bear any weight on my duff leg.
I don't think I will need metal work as the X ray comments did not suggest such.
I will copy your comments to the hospital Doc and many thanks.

When I was in plaster I didn't put any weight on the leg with the break I used crutches.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Well, here I am thirty five days after the fracture. I am still in the cast, but see the Orthos next Wednesday and I'm praying it comes off on the day.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Sweet relief!
The cast came off last Wednesday and I am back in the saddle.
I have lowered the saddle and got some flat shoes so I do not need to clip into my single sided pedals.
I did about twenty three miles today, on the flat, around Arnside, Milnethorpe and Holme.
The ankle is still swollen and painful if I try to put too much power in.
But it's great to be back!
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Well, it is thirteen weeks since the fracture and seven weeks since the cast came off.
I am steadily building my fitness and Sunday I rode with my pals some thirty miles with two thousand feet of ascent.
I was off the back on the steeper climbs as my general fitness is the remaining problem.
Pain associated with the break is minimal and honking is OK.
My ankle is however still quite swollen.
Walking is a bigger problem and I tend to overcompensate with my right leg.
After a six mile walk on the flank of Ingleborough, finishing with the awkward descent of Sulber Nick, my arches on both feet were very sore.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

arnsider wrote:Well, it is thirteen weeks since the fracture and seven weeks since the cast came off.
I am steadily building my fitness and Sunday I rode with my pals some thirty miles with two thousand feet of ascent.
I was off the back on the steeper climbs as my general fitness is the remaining problem.
Pain associated with the break is minimal and honking is OK.
My ankle is however still quite swollen.
Walking is a bigger problem and I tend to overcompensate with my right leg.
After a six mile walk on the flank of Ingleborough, finishing with the awkward descent of Sulber Nick, my arches on both feet were very sore.

Walking is a bigger problem...

Obviously you/we/the human race evolved (or were created) to cycle first and walk second.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Here I am some five months after the break and things are not good!
No problem with the fractured left side, but I must have compensated that much with the right that I am suffering nasty pain in my right heel and instep. I've compared symptoms and it looks like its tendinitis.
I did a 54 mile ride last Sunday, with a lot of climbing from Kirkby Lonsdale over Barbondale to Dent.
No problems at all.
I did a seven mile walk over Arnside Knot this Wednesday and could not bear any weight at all on my feet the following morning.
Things were so bad, I had to resort to the elbow crutches I was given at hospital.
It's strong pain killers now and rest.
700c

Post by 700c »

arnsider wrote:Here I am some five months after the break and things are not good!
No problem with the fractured left side, but I must have compensated that much with the right that I am suffering nasty pain in my right heel and instep. I've compared symptoms and it looks like its tendinitis.
I did a 54 mile ride last Sunday, with a lot of climbing from Kirkby Lonsdale over Barbondale to Dent.
No problems at all.
I did a seven mile walk over Arnside Knot this Wednesday and could not bear any weight at all on my feet the following morning.
Things were so bad, I had to resort to the elbow crutches I was given at hospital.
It's strong pain killers now and rest.

Background:
Broken ankle, fibia, tibula, tarsals. Metal plates on two sides, IIRC 13 screws.
I'm at approx 30 months since the breakages.

Walking:
I cannot walk more than about 5 miles, next day the pain is unbearable, even at just a couple of miles the next day is very very tough.
I've gotten used to not walking anywhere of distance. Local corner shops at a maximum.

Cycling:
I was not able to cycle much of anywhere for the first 12 months ish.
It's only recently I've started to use the bike anything like prior to the break.

I say to you; good luck, but maybe get used to not walking much of anywhere.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

You obviously suffered a lot worse than me and I sympathise.
It points to the fact that cycling does very little for the foot other than keeping the ankle mobile.
Hill Walking does a lot for the foot, the ankle and calves.
As much as I love cycling, I really love Hill Walking and it's gauling to have neglected it so much in preference.
I suppose the moral is to keep both pursuits going.
700c

Post by 700c »

If walking is the "thing" that you are really into, I understand how hard it is to even think about giving up a tiny part.
For me, walking was never an interest, so it was a rather easy decision.

You have my sympathy, I know how hard it is to come back from a busted ankle at an older age!

I'm still debating whether to stick with the bike as now (fully loaded touring) or to change over to something different (most likely a folder with a small load) and do credit-card touring with bus trips and train trips etc. This really is a dilemma as my "thing" is to jump on the loaded bike, cycle somewhere and set up camp. I'm not sure I can give that up.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

arnsider wrote:I broke my left Ankle walking down off Penyghent, the Sunday of the Three Peaks Cyclo Cross race.
It is the lower fibula/lateral malleolus.
Has anyone had a similar fracture on here and does anyone know what sort of recovery time to expect before I can start cycling?
I am a big guy, 66 years old and a regular cyclist, doing 40-60n mile rides in hilly terrain.
Yes I broke one of mine when I was nearly 58. I had the standard 6 weeks in plaster and had to use crutches. When the plaster was removed my muscles had reduced and tendons had tightened considerably. I wasn't doing much cycling at the time. However I did a lot of stretching exercises such as standing with my toes on the bottom stair and letting my heels drop as far as they would go and then raising them again as well as repetitive movements of stepping up and down a stair. Also kneeling on my haunches with the upper part of of my feet on the floor to stretch the tendons. The physio emphasised the need for for stretching and muscle build up, but now I can't remember all the exercises. After all that and 16 years later my ankle is still fine.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.