Winter bikes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
jezer

Winter bikes

Post by jezer »

It's that time again. I serviced my winter bike today. Nice leisurely miles to look forward to.
Power to the pedals
Annoying Twit

Re: Winter bikes

Post by Annoying Twit »

What is the reasoning behind winter bikes? Just a cheaper bike so tht the weather conditions don't cause wear on the primary bike, or something more than that?
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Some people I know have a winter one with mudguards and other bits and pieces they don't bother with in the summer, maybe a rack for a pack for warmer things if needed etc.

I keep the same one all year, but then I don't care about weight and don't like muddy stripes up my back even in the warmer weather. :wink:
drossall

Post by drossall »

Yes, protects the good bike for the summer. Less of a concern if you can afford new bikes regularly, and don't like mudguards...
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

TREK 1.1 alloy and carbon forked pretty toy. May to September, all rides and events.
BTwin alloy and steel go every where, get dirty, wet and carry stuff. September to May.
Summer bike has a seat bag, with spares, chocolate and cash,(£8).
Winter bike has mudguards, spare clothes, Trangia, stuff various....pasta and sauce packet meals, and more stuff ....
Horses for courses .......
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

Summer bike is a minimalistic single-speed steel mtb with silcker tyres, no water bottle cages, or mudguards, etc

Winter bike is my usual mud-plugger - a 3x10 alloy mtb with more aggressive tyres - but with mudguards, lights, saddle bag, bottle cages etc

However - after changing to studded tyres - the summer bike becomes my "short notice" Ice/snow-mobile commuter
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

What a "winter" bike is depends on the user, I think. Probably the only common denominator is mudguards?

I have a "winter" bike with rack, mudguards, p resistant tyres, flat/spd pedals. It's also my riding with the family bike, going to the shops bike, wet summer commuting bike, maybe some light touring if I ever get the chance bike.

My "summer" bike has look pedals, and none of the above.

The "winter" bike is more practical, and would be perfectly adequate as my only bike, though it's nice to have the summer as a spare in case of grave mechanicals.

My summer bike brings me joy every time I sit upon it :-)
Phil_Chadwick

Post by Phil_Chadwick »

Winter bike has serious lights, fatter tyres, no rim brakes (disc + drum), bigger mudguards, bigger clearances and generally cheaper components that i don't mind getting wrecked by salt and 3 months of mud & crud.

About the middle of March i usually throw away the chain & fixed sprocket and take a hard look at the chainring.

Summer bikes are kept well away from salt etc.
Last edited by Phil_Chadwick on 11 Oct 2016, 10:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil_Chadwick

Post by Phil_Chadwick »

The other issue is reliability

I don't much mind changing a tube or fettling something mechanical at the roadside in June.

On a sleeting January night in the pitch black - no thanks.

So the winter bike is built to be bomb-proof, with tougher tyres and nothing that needs tender loving care to keep running nicely.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

jezer wrote:It's that time again. I serviced my winter bike today. Nice leisurely miles to look forward to.

Same here. A couple of hours fitting reflectors (Wheels, pedals, rear and front), lights and a general look over to ensure it's in good working order. Just to need to sort out a front mudguard arrangement. Though haven't bothered fitting the dynamo and dynamo lights (My commute currently being 1.5 miles, as opposed to former 3-26 miles on unlit country roads.

Summer bikes washed down and awaiting a basic check over / service
pwa

Post by pwa »

Until the late 1990s I used to make do with one bike for everything. All the day to day stuff, commuting, day rides and tours. It kind of worked, but eventually I treated myself to a second, posher bike that wouldn't do heavily laden touring but would do all the lighter road stuff. Since then I have had a good sturdy tourer for touring, commuting and leisure rides on the lanes in all sorts of weather. And a second, posher audax style bike for audax and for "special" rides. The posher bike is always kept clean and with everything working perfectly. The tourer is used much more and is usually less clean and I don't stress about minor gear changing problems. Initially there is an extra cost to having the posher bike. Obviously. But after that there is no additional cost because I can only ride one bike at a time and I can only wear down one set of tyres or one chain at a time. My "winter" bike is actually used all year round and probably gets three or four times the use of the posher bike.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Annoying Twit wrote:What is the reasoning behind winter bikes? Just a cheaper bike so that the weather conditions don't cause wear on the primary bike, or something more than that?

My winter bike has
-a 7 speed drive train which is less sensitive to winter gunk and salt from the roads
-room for studded tyres

I dont want my best bike out in the winter because winter is harder on the bikes, but even so, things go wrong more often in the winter, and it's good to have a second bike.

another reason is that some people either donæt have mudguards, or don't have full mudguards on their summer bike, but they do on their winter bike.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mig

Post by mig »

winter bikes have to be fixed gear. c'mon everyone knows that!!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

mig wrote:winter bikes have to be fixed gear.....

or (IMHO) an IGH...?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mig

Post by mig »

och come off it..!! :wink:

whilst i like hooning around in summer evenings on lightweight kit as much as the next rider there is something about winter miles that attracts me. i can't quite put my finger on what it is though. that said - here's hoping for a relatively dry and mild one!!