The helmet section?

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Dave W

Re: The helmet section?

Post by Dave W »

Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Dave W wrote:http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/14760778.Cyclist__50__suffers_serious_head_injury_in_crash/

Wiltshire again.

Multi vehicle collision, beyond helmet design. Irrelevant.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Dave W wrote:http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/14760778.Cyclist__50__suffers_serious_head_injury_in_crash/

Wiltshire again.

... and yet another head injury in Wiltshire

and another

... and an unfortunate fatality

When will these people realise that helmets could prevent or lessen these head injuries.....
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Cunobelin wrote:When will these people realise that helmets could prevent or lessen these head injuries.....

Possibly when they get lectured by the press and well-meaning charities about the shocking irresponsibility of driving without a crash helmet on any occasion when someone in a car crash picks up a head injury, or after a few people start wearing them on the back of that pressure, when anyone that might have had a head injury routinely get told it was a Good Thing they were wearing a helmet...

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

The point was that cycling accidents are rife - I didn't see any banged head on kitchen cupboard headlines. I was chatting to my accountant last night who mentioned one of her clients was now paralysed after his accident (broken back). He was on a charity ride too. Local chap got airlifted to Glasgow so I guess he was in Scotland at the time. Haven't managed to find anything more on him.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

DaveW

I was chatting to my accountant last night who mentioned one of her clients was now paralysed after his accident (broken back).

You're not perchance in possession of the Sea of Flames diamond, are you?

According to legend, however, the diamond is cursed: whoever keeps the "Sea of Flames" cannot die but their loved ones will be stricken with unending misfortunes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_the_L ... Cannot_See
mjr

Post by mjr »

Dave W wrote:I was chatting to my accountant last night who mentioned one of her clients was now paralysed after his accident (broken back). He was on a charity ride too.

Probably wearing a helmet like all but a few charity rides now require? When will they learn it's no substitute for real risk management? :-(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

BrianFox wrote:DaveW

I was chatting to my accountant last night who mentioned one of her clients was now paralysed after his accident (broken back).

You're not perchance in possession of the Sea of Flames diamond, are you?

According to legend, however, the diamond is cursed: whoever keeps the "Sea of Flames" cannot die but their loved ones will be stricken with unending misfortunes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_the_L ... Cannot_See
. Very good. I also have a father and son cycling duo on my rounds, guess what? Both crashed within days, father has a cracked sternam son has broken his arm in two places. My Wife has gone right off the idea of road cycling lateley.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

My Wife has gone right off the idea of road cycling lateley.

In which case I can only suggest you give her the diamond, but take extra special care yourself.

Perhaps wear one of these during the day?

Alternatively, rather than listing cycling accidents ad nauseum, you could do the same for myocardial infarctions, type II diabetes, car accidents etc. That might scare her into getting you back out on the bike and would be every bit as rational as your approach.
irc

Post by irc »

Dave W

Can you please let me know if you are ever traveling near Glasgow. A sort of navigation warning. :-) I'll give up cycling until you are gone. You seem to be a bit of a crash magnet.
Zigster

Post by Zigster »

A quick google of "pedestrian deaths london 2016"
https://visionzerolondon.wordpress.com/ ... in-london/

I wonder how many of them were wearing helmets.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

irc wrote:Dave W

Can you please let me know if you are ever traveling near Glasgow. A sort of navigation warning. :-) I'll give up cycling until you are gone. You seem to be a bit of a crash magnet.

Perhaps a rotating red light and a woo woo siren, on top of Dave W's helmet could be an early warning alert for unsuspecting cyclists in the vicinity :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Dave W wrote:The point was that cycling accidents are rife - I didn't see any banged head on kitchen cupboard headlines. I was chatting to my accountant last night who mentioned one of her clients was now paralysed after his accident (broken back). He was on a charity ride too. Local chap got airlifted to Glasgow so I guess he was in Scotland at the time. Haven't managed to find anything more on him.

Glad you raised Glasgow

There was a team in Glasgow who actually looked at hospital admissions..... and guess what?

Cyclists didn't even feature in the at risk groups!

Thornhill et al:
The characteristics of the cohort agreed with previous surveys.....The most common causes of injury were falls (43%) or assaults (34%); alcohol was often involved (61%), and a quarter reported treatment for a previous head injury.

If the unmentioned cyclist head injuries are "rife" then how would you describe assaults, alcohol based injuries or simple falls?

If that is inconvenient, we can look even further to Meier Hillman's work and look at road based injuries:

34.8% were pedestrians and 46.2% were in a vehicle compared to 5.9% being cyclists

Again if 5.9% is "rife" and needs action, should we not be taking even more drastic action in groups that are 6 and 8 times more common?

OH .... I forgot.

These head injuries don't hurt, cause any trauma, have any effect on the individual, relations or families and are totally acceptable. It is only the identical cycle based head injuries that we need to worry about
Adam S

Post by Adam S »

Dave W wrote:The point was that cycling accidents are rife - I didn't see any banged head on kitchen cupboard headlines..

News stories report the notable, not the commonplace. We could use your methodology to show that murders are rife. What is this obsession with individual reports when we have statistics?