Deterring mobile phone use

reohn2

Re: Deterring mobile phone use

Post by reohn2 »

meic wrote:Built into every new traffic light, pedestrian crossing in fact anywhere that drivers really should be paying attention. So the ABD cant complain it is "Safe Texting".

Until then can we have bobbies in attendance booking driving criminals.

Oh dear, have I just created the surveillance society?

No you didn't it's already here!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
meic

Post by meic »

Until then can we have bobbies in attendance booking driving criminals.

That is far too costly and hopefully the cameras will release them for less routine tasks.
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I started this thread because the delinquent driver presumably knew he was being filmed by his own employer. I cannot imagine it's OK to install something like this covertly. I suppose the employers simply wanted a record for use in case of a crash when, hopefully, it would show their employee driving correctly and I can't imagine any employer having the resources to do a sort of slow television repeat of the movement of all their fleet.

BTW, for anybody suggesting automatic detection by roadside cameras, you do need some way of triggering them. otherwise somebody has to view all the footage to spot suspects. They might as well stand at the roadside and just get on with it.
meic

Post by meic »

Good point, possibly a directional short range antennae (tuned to phone frequencies) pointed in the right direction?
Or use the TVLA technology of an empty box and lots of scary adverts on the TV. :lol:
Yma o Hyd
PH

Post by PH »

My £100 camera has very accurate face detection, I’ve seen HD images where a face is pulled from a crowd of 100s and is as clear as a studio portrait would have been a decade ago. My better camera brackets focus in a fraction of a second, so I can effectively refocus post shot. It isn’t surely beyond the realms to programme some common signs that someone is using a phone and get an identifiable image of them? I can tell if someone in a following car is using a phone from a glance behind. We don’t need 100% detection for it to be a deterrent, just enough to make it a possibility. It’s all very well for people to say X is better than Y, but when X is never going to happen it’s a bit pointless. Indeed Y isn’t very likely either all the time people see using a phone as acceptable and the accidents as something that couldn’t happen to them. We could start by putting the wreckage of such accidents back at the side of the road where it happened and making offenders view photos of the carnage.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In one sense, the problem will be self-solving in that eventually, all vehicles will have hands-free technology, although that's unlikely to offer texting. OTOH, hands-free is just one more thing to add to the increasing list of distractions for drivers. One strange thing is that the more "driver assist" features are introduced - rain-detecting windscreen wipers, lane detection, cruise control, automatic headlights, anti-dazzle rear-view mirrors - the more complicated and distracting the controls become.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

thirdcrank wrote:In one sense, the problem will be self-solving in that eventually, all vehicles will have hands-free technology, although that's unlikely to offer texting. OTOH, hands-free is just one more thing to add to the increasing list of distractions for drivers. One strange thing is that the more "driver assist" features are introduced - rain-detecting windscreen wipers, lane detection, cruise control, automatic headlights, anti-dazzle rear-view mirrors - the more complicated and distracting the controls become.

I send texts hands free through Google, the facility's there on all smartphones now
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:Will work fine only if it's highly mobile(sorry),if fixed will have the same effect speeding cameras have.

I think it only needs to be mobile, not highly mobile. It should be fairly well-known to commuters here where the spotter+catcher traffic operations usually take place. There's only so many places where a spotter can hide with a wide section nearby for the catchers to direct cars into a checking queue. They still seem to catch as many offenders as they can handle each time they do it, including several commercial vehicles marked with local addresses or phone numbers. Maybe lawbreakers are spectacularly unobservant or willing to take the chance, but I doubt it.

As others note, we don't need to catch every one every time to start getting the message across that this isn't acceptable any more.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

My point throughout this thread is that two or three bobbies one spotter in plain clothes would catch mobile users better than a camera system,and they could be anywhere they're sent where it's a problem.
Pretty soon mobile using drivers would get the message if they didn't know where the team was going to turn up next,once the message hits social media and the fear of capture becomes real the vast majority of people will stop using them.
YVMV,mine won't :)
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Meanwhile, back in the real world,

Drivers 'no longer fear punishment' for mobile phone use

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37798193
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:Meanwhile, back in the real world,

Drivers 'no longer fear punishment' for mobile phone use

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37798193

The very serious and fatal incidents aside,you'd think the insurance companies would be on the case like a cat on a rat.
On Wednesday we were caught up in a 6mile jam on the M56 by a shunt up the road,my immediate thought was to wonder if the driver(s) who caused it were using mobile(s)
Later in the journey northbound on the M6 just north of Thelwall viaduct there was a four car shunt in a jam on the opposite carriageway,again I thought the same thing.
I could be entirely wrong on both counts but whilst in the former M56 jam a cursory glance around me on at different times and surrounded by different cars almost everyone of them was using their mobile.
I thought it slightly ironic that they could've been texting(some definitely were)their loved ones informing them they were going to be late,or googling to find out what the hold up was :?
I switched on the radio and listened for the TA announcements
Last edited by reohn2 on 28 Oct 2016, 4:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Its not rocket science, we have today the tech to see if a mobile is in use whilst a vehicle is moving.

This case saw two men run from the scene of a collision with a pedestrian.
1ST, killed the pedestrian whilst on a hands free, its still driving without due care and attention.
2ND, tried blaming his wife hit a badger and cleaned underneath of car, he ran over the body.

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/p ... story.html

"There is an elephant in the room," he said. "Mr Toms should not have been there in the first place. It was a highly dangerous thing to do. He contributed to what happened by placing himself in a very dangerous position. But Mr Toms' conduct isn't on trial. It's Mr Hickinbottom's driving which is on trial, and Mr Keene's conduct after the collision."

Mr Posner reminded the jury that they had heard from 10 witnesses and each one bearing witness to Mr Toms walking the road only saw him for a few seconds but acted accordingly.

He said: "That road required raised concentration because of the roadworks and dark. To not see someone in those conditions, when everyone else did, bears scrutiny.

"It's not a case of too little too late – efforts to take action weren't there. There was no reaction before or afterwards.

"This is a case of Mr Hickinbottom driving straight through someone because he didn't see him at all and should have done. Not seeing him falls below the standard of a careful and competent driver.

"He wasn't paying attention to the road. He hit someone and ran away, with his vehicle in a really dangerous state. He knew he had lost his concentration and what he had done was wrong."

The court had heard that Hickinbottom believed someone had thrown something at the car and did not pull over as he thought he could have been the victim of a carjacking.

Mr Posner said: "If this was true, we would expect him to call the police."

Mr Posner also questioned Keene's story and suggested 'he knew he had done wrong and he panicked'.

"He believed he had driven over a traffic cone. He says his wife hit a badger. He says it was flood water," said Mr Posner. "The inconsistency of what he says should be scrutinised.

"[The incident] would leave blood or biological matter under the car. Efforts to repair and clean the undercarriage of the car bear scrutiny. He made efforts to cover up and minimise what he did."
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Its not rocket science, we have today the tech to see if a mobile is in use whilst a vehicle is moving.

Do we have the tech to see if it's a driver, or only a passenger? Or even if it's in a car, rather than a bus or train?

I've noticed a new tactic among young drivers this week. It's half-term and more college students seem to be driving around while I'm cycling - as well as even more cycling around.

Instead of the old favourite of the mobile on the lap, they now seem to be holding the mobile between the seat and handbrake so it's harder (but not impossible with the right angle) to spot from outside the car and can be dropped into the coin bit below the handbrake if needed - however, they've all got their left shoulder dropped a stupid amount, so it's still pretty obvious! :roll:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ribblerouser

Deterring mobile phone use

Post by ribblerouser »

mjr wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Its not rocket science, we have today the tech to see if a mobile is in use whilst a vehicle is moving.

Do we have the tech to see if it's a driver, or only a passenger :

I don't see many passengers on the phone, it seems to be mainly a driver thing for some reason.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
mjr wrote:

Do we have the tech to see if it's a driver, or only a passenger? Or even if it's in a car, rather than a bus or train?

I've noticed a new tactic among young drivers this week. It's half-term and more college students seem to be driving around while I'm cycling - as well as even more cycling around.

Instead of the old favourite of the mobile on the lap, they now seem to be holding the mobile between the seat and handbrake so it's harder (but not impossible with the right angle) to spot from outside the car and can be dropped into the coin bit below the handbrake if needed - however, they've all got their left shoulder dropped a stupid amount, so it's still pretty obvious! :roll:

Ah... I'm not the only one to notice that the driver is leaning into the centre of car :wink: That's not new but I bet its on social media.
But still see countless drivers looking at there bits :roll:
Another is vans leaving depots with coffee / breakfast in hand and white van man eating crisps............emptying packet into open mouth.............. :twisted:

My suggestion about technology could be put to intelligent use some how I am sure.

My highlighting of case above which is still in court as we speak, shows that even hands free will not exclude you from prosecution.
Also the driver who struck lethal blow tried to make out that he had either looked in mirrors / checked his speed and another that's escaped me as a reason he did not see the pedestrian in front of him.....................................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.